The Fate of Muppetvision 3*D

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
By the way, we're flying through Memphis both on the way in and out, but since we only have about an hour layover and they won't let you past security without a ticket, there's no way we can get together this time. :cry:

:stick_out_tongue:
AAUUUGGH! You're killin' me! I have a friend in town this close to me that I can't see? Ack! Darn airport policies!

I wish my house were in better shape. I just bought a place, and if I had all the house set up you'd be welcome to stay a few days in the BBQ capital of the world.

I can't stand knowing you're going to be right here next door basically and I can't see my friend and his family.

If it wasn't such heck to get back into the terminals, I'd say just meet me out in the lobby area of the Airport, but it's about 30 minutes wait to get back into the terminals and out of the lobbies, even though the Memphis Int'l Airport is so small.

Wait'll I tell all the Memphis guys, they're going to be crushed, too!

Tim

Reaction score
Change In Plans!

From Al Lutz:

"Philharmag-Not

And what will those arriving tourists sliding in the side door find in that back corner of the park in '09? They may still find MuppetVision 3-D immediately on their right as the first attraction they encounter.

Although changing that 18-year-old show into the snazzier and more popular Philharmagic show now playing in Orlando and Hong Kong has long been tentatively approved, the logistical construction reality of transforming that facility is proving to be very difficult. MuppetVision was shoehorned in to DCA in the late 1990's as a cheap and easy way to add yet another movie based attraction. Even in the late '90s the show was showing its age, but Paul Pressler's vision for DCA was more about spreadsheets than artistic vision and relevance and so MuppetVision was slotted into place in Hollywood.

The problems in finally putting the aging Muppet show to rest are rooted in the huge screen and massive infrastructure required for the Philharmagic show. In order to squeeze the smallest Philharmagic footprint necessary into the MuppetVision building, load bearing walls on the east and west end of the building would need to be demolished and rebuilt. That sends the budget skyrocketing as an entirely new facility and building would then be required, and the numbers for the remake no longer pencil out like they did in 2006 when the idea was hatched.

So, with Philharmagic now tentatively on the back burner for DCA, and certainly not replacing MuppetVision, a new concept for that theater is being kicked around. While Disneyland's Entertainment department has wanted another indoor stage facility for some time now, with several concepts for the Millionaire building never quite getting off the ground in the last three years, the custom nature of the MuppetVision setup isn't going to let them do much with that space. The stage is very narrow and only accomodates a film screen, and that animatronic penguin orchestra down below certainly doesn't help things either.

The current proposal that has piqued the interest of John Lasseter is to outfit the MuppetVision theater with a cutting-edge digital projection system that could send and receive digitally produced films and material. The MuppetVision space is currently titled the "Flex-Theater" on WDI blueprints and printed material for the DCA makeover. The rather lofty goal of having DCA host animator conferences and exhibitions, all hosted by Pixar of course, is a big part of this concept.

While that may do wonders for DCA's reputation, there is the reality that such artistically stimulating activities would only happen a small portion of the time. There would still be the need to provide some sort of attraction for the tourists visiting DCA the 98% of the operating year when animation artists weren't convening for the latest John Lasseter confab in Anaheim.

Will those tourists still find MuppetVision in that space, only to pass it up as a 20 year old 3-D film they've already seen? Or will there be a new theater concept added there instead? That question still isn't answered, as the mothballing of the Philharmagic concept is still fairly fresh and a replacement concept hasn't been selected. One thing TDA doesn't want however is to see arriving DCA visitors step out of the Millionaire building and find a shuttered attraction, so even the timing on the temporary closure to install the digital projection system will be difficult to plan."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, this is certainly good news. Even though it seems its still up by default. Seems I might have been wrong. Disney might be trying for the Muppets yet.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Please refresh my memory: Who exactly is Al Lutz and is he a real decision maker?

Is it me or does this Lutz dude seem like a Muppet-hater? Most people go to these theme parks a few times in his or her life. He didn't say what was antiquated about the attraction, just its longevity which is a good thing. Does the 3D look poorly done are the animatronics sub-par, is the building architecture an eye sore? :confused:

It just sounds like a gossip monger who doesn't particularly care for the Muppets and has grown tired of the attraction from multiple park visits (a disproportional number compared to the average guest). There is a niche of Disney fanatics that have no love for Muppets and don't mind voicing it on the web. Just a shame. :sympathy:

The article never mentions Jim Henson's involvement in the attraction as it was one of the last things he ever made and his final directorial motion picture. I understand a change if the space could be better served, more entertaining and cost-effective. But not this swapping of attractions for the mere sake of it. If anyone should take over the space it is Pixar. :attitude:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Al Lutz is not a decision maker at all. He is just a fan that has a blog. He used to be on a different Disneyland fan site, but from what I understand, he was kicked off of that one and started his own.

From what I can gather, he is at the parks at least every weekend, if not more often. Yeah, I guess you could say he's tired of something he's seen a million times.

If the Muppets is a tired exhibit, what about the ones at Disneyland that have been there 30, 40 or even 50 years? Should we take them all out? I know many, like the Jungle Cruise, which is over 50 years old, has been updated over the years, but even that wasn't until it was at least 30 to 40 years old.

Xerus

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking a trip to Walt Disney World this February. I hope Muppetvision 3D will still be there that time.

Luke

Reaction score
If the Muppets is a tired exhibit, what about the ones at Disneyland that have been there 30, 40 or even 50 years? Should we take them all out? I know many, like the Jungle Cruise, which is over 50 years old, has been updated over the years, but even that wasn't until it was at least 30 to 40 years old.
They may see it as a bit tired on a different level. OK some of those other rides have been there longer but they're usually based on properties that Disney have kept in the public eye as classics like Sleeping Beauty/Cinderella. If a kid see's a movie based on the Muppet Show how can he/she identify with it? Most of them don't know the characters anymore and if they do, its through the more recent movies and not TMS. I think the concept of a 3d movie is still cool, going in and wearing the glasses, seeing the animatronic characters etc, but maybe if they are going to start re-introducing the characters to younger kids (which they SAY they are supposedly going to try and do) maybe if they filmed a new 3D movie reflective of how kids will be seeing the Muppets today, using todays technology and update the animatronic characters then maybe kids might get it a bit more. I would actually think doing an actual puppet stage show using some 3d effects might work - i'm surprised at a time like this they are trying to remove the only big Muppet attraction they have.

Obviously as a Muppet fan i think it's brilliant, wouldn't want to see it go, and its of importance because Jim made it, but i'm also trying to see it from the point of view that if you have a theme park thats supposed to appeal to kids and you have an exhibit for a brand that kids aren't really exposed much to at the moment it isn't exactly going to be top of their lists to see.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Al Lutz is not a decision maker at all. He is just a fan that has a blog. He used to be on a different Disneyland fan site, but from what I understand, he was kicked off of that one and started his own.

From what I can gather, he is at the parks at least every weekend, if not more often. Yeah, I guess you could say he's tired of something he's seen a million times.

That is what I was thinking. This exhibit introduces the Muppets to a new generation of fans everyday. To me, that means it never gets old. If the attraction was falling apart or losing money I'd understand, but I really don't think it is. I know they always have the one in Florida, but not everyone visits Florida as they do California.

The weather is more pleasant here and it's the home of so many other attractions outside of Disneyland. I know Florida has some too, but it's like comparing New York to Chicago. There are similarities and both places have their own unique attributes, but nationally and globally New York has an undeniable mystique. California is that way too. I'd like to see the Muppet Vision 3D attraction stay.

One idea is that they could keep the theater and everything in place and hold some Pixar public screenings/shows there too in some sort of scheduled basis. It could be both attractive and efficient. There's no need to gut the place. The best areas of theme parks are the ones that have been around for years and find a way to maintain their dignity while remaining relevant. :cool:

My solution: Keep the theater in CA as is and have a rotating schedule of short film content, Muppet, Pixar, Disney etc. (that includes Muppet Vision 3D). Statler and Waldorf could still pop up to critique it. Disney owns the Muppets, this is a good way to acknowledge that and integrate them a little. It’s okay, only a few of them bite! :halo:

Luke

Reaction score
This exhibit introduces the Muppets to a new generation of fans everyday. To me, that means it never gets old.
Know you weren't posting to me, but you are so right, i had never thought of it that way when i posted before. It is introducing the kids to them just as much as anything else, so maybe they need to be promoting it more so that kids want to go see it in the parks. I had kinda seen it on the flipside that they'd see it on an attractions list, wonder who the Muppets are and just pass it up. Maybe getting that Bunsen/Beaker contraption rolled out more in all the parks is the key, and expand that with other characters.

I like your suggestion of some kinda rotating theater program, seems to make sense.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Know you weren't posting to me, but you are so right, i had never thought of it that way when i posted before. It is introducing the kids to them just as much as anything else, so maybe they need to be promoting it more so that kids want to go see it in the parks. I had kinda seen it on the flipside that they'd see it on an attractions list, wonder who the Muppets are and just pass it up. Maybe getting that Bunsen/Beaker contraption rolled out more in all the parks is the key, and expand that with other characters.

I like your suggestion of some kinda rotating theater program, seems to make sense.
I'm also wondering when these Disney Channel Muppet & stars infomercial/bumpers are going to roll-out? However, at the Mr. Magorium film, many kids knew and enthusiastically responded to Kermit. I didn't expect that reaction. Maybe the cheapy Disney DVD releases (that many fans felt could have been better) were a good thing and fueled that reaction? :confused:

I see the potential of the Muppet Vision Theater as having the classic present architecture and regular daily Muppet 3D screenings along with new Muppet material, classic Disney shorts (some were made in 3D), Pixar content etc. These things could also be fused into the architecture. Animatronic Statler and Waldorf could greet and comment. And those penguins! Penguins have never been so popular. They should keep them before they find a better agent! :zany: