Confusing...

DLuvMuppsGonzo

Reaction score
I love The Muppets movies that they do but it bothers me that they always make reference inside the movie that it is a movie. Its not a horrible thing I just sort of wish that they wouldn't do that. Also ok how do I ask this...over in another subject on this board people were asking if Miss Piggy and Kermit were married and it makes me think. That the Muppets are actors and when we see one of their movies its just a movie that they just did( I dont know if that makes sense to anyone else) but when they had the muppet show was it supposed to be like a TV show or was it supposed to be their life? Like did they know they were acting on a TV show? This is really confusing and alot of people are probably going to avoid this post. Because I always took it as The Muppet show was their lives and they werent acting but in their new Christmas movie it takes place in the muppet theater and its a movie. Oh goodness I hope somebody understands this!:rolleyes:

beaker

Reaction score
Thank you! While I am slowly trying to become more zealous in my Muppet passion than ever, one BIG thing bugs the sasparilla out of me...the Muppets and winking and nodding that its all just a movie. I hate to say it, but GMC is the least favorite of the Muppet films.(well one I dislike that bourgious late 70's British fashion world backdrop) I mean for one it really has no message or heart...its basically just Kermit, Fozzie, And Gonzo trying to foil the horribly unwatchable Charles Grodin and company(For the record, Grodin redeems himself with the beyond words of coolness M@WDW Special) but what REALLY STINKS about GMC is how every 5 minutes Kermit or someone says 'hey, were filimging a movie! ' gee willikers. I mean that kind of self realization here and there is ok in Elmo in Grouchland...but my goodness.
Thats why I feel The Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan are vastly more visionary in my mind. Aside from seeing the Muppet gang, I cant think of any things I liked about GMC other than the site of the Muppets in London crusing down the streets in their double decker bus.

I think JHC learned that breaking the atmosphere of th emovie by saying its a movie is a big audience no no. Hopefully theyll learn about pacing(ie: MCM) but all in good time.

Natalie

Reaction score
How many times did they mention it was a movie in the new MCM? I just caught the one with the snowman at the beginning.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I don't think they mentioned it was a movie at all in TMTM. Which is surprising because after Kermit and Miss Piggy got married in that one, it is believed that it was just a movie and they're not married in real life. Hmmm.

puppetguy

Reaction score
I pose this question: How is a Muppet character's reference to being in a movie any different from an actor breaking the "fourth wall" to address the audience in a stage play. This kind of aside to the audience is as old as the Greek theatre. Its a way to let the audience in on something that the characters are conscious of. The Muppets always know they're in front of an audience. Just look at the Muppet Movie: Its a movie of the Muppets watching their own movie. By addressing this, the audience is invited in on the joke and the Muppets made more accesible; like an invitation into their world and not being ignored once inside.

David
www.allhandsproductions.com

beaker

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2002
I don't think they mentioned it was a movie at all in TMTM. Which is surprising because after Kermit and Miss Piggy got married in that one, it is believed that it was just a movie and they're not married in real life. Hmmm.
Because the Muppets are just actors with S.A.G. cards like any other actor out there. So because something happens on screen in a movie or TMS or something, means it is just acting. When you see, say Kermit on Craig...or the Muppets q & a at Muppetfest, thats the Muppets being themselves.

Gonzo isnt really from outer space...that was just a gimmicky movie idea. Same with Piggy and Kermit being married. Theyre kind of like Elaine and Jerry on Seinfeld...together but not really together.

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
As to the Marrige In MTM (My least favorite muppet film) I tell you this answar:

EVEN TO THE MUPPETS, IT WAS A MOIVE! The only movie that really happened in their world were MFS and MCM . TMM was a story that Kermit made to tell the fictional story of how they got together, GMC,MTM,MCC, and MTI were films in their world. TMS and most of their specials were real.

DLuvMuppsGonzo

Reaction score
Ok I get that the movie is a MOVIE to muppets but the question is Is the Muppet Show just an acting job to them or was it their real life. I always took it as their real life. I hope also that is taken as their real life.

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
I always took the show as their real life because it showed the backstage lives. I believe the Muppet Family Christmas is real too because it felt real.

I finally decided to take the movies as fiction (the ones that call themselves movies obviously are) because I still consider Gonzo a whatever and not an alien. The new Christmas movie is phony too, mainly because Whoopie is god in it.

Of course, my taste and opinion is such an official sources...