Rit-Dyeing Foam Questions!

ploobis

Reaction score
Hey Friends'

Me and my Grandfather just got done smoothing the foam of my upcoming Gonzo puppet. Next week we want to dye Gonzo's Foam nose with Rit-Dye and I have a few questions.

1. How hot or warm should the Rit-Dye be?

2. Should the Dye be in a bucket or should I paint it on the foam with a brush or spray gun?

3. Should I use a brush for Gonzo's Foam Eye Lids?

4. How should I Dye Gonzo's Ostrich Feather Hairs?

"If anybody could help me out with these questions I would really appreciate it. I need to get Gonzo done before December 8'th for a Puppet Show I'm doing for a party." :concern:

Thank you

Jesse (AKA) Ploobis :smile:

SurfPark

Reaction score
Hey Friends'

Me and my Grandfather just got done smoothing the foam of my upcoming Gonzo puppet. Next week we want to dye Gonzo's Foam nose with Rit-Dye and I have a few questions.

1. How hot or warm should the Rit-Dye be?
From Rit's web site: Heat is a major factor in successful dyeing. A higher dyebath temperature increases the rate at which dye is absorbed. If you use cold water, you will not get the best color depth. Therefore, we recommend a dyebath temperature between 140º and 180º F.

2. Should the Dye be in a bucket or should I paint it on the foam with a brush or spray gun?
Bucket is cheapest. The hot dye will stain, so if the bucket is plastic, it will also lightly dye the bucket. If you have a big stainless steel pot, use that. Don't use the bath tub! Painting on the foam is only good for subtle colors. If you want to have a gradient of blues, dye the foam a light blue, let it dry, and then apply the dark blue with a brush or spray gun.

3. Should I use a brush for Gonzo's Foam Eye Lids?
I wouldn't. Dunk the eyelids in a yellow die. The green-ish tip of the eyelid can be a separate piece glued on top of the yellow.

4. How should I Dye Gonzo's Ostrich Feather Hairs?

"If anybody could help me out with these questions I would really appreciate it. I need to get Gonzo done before December 8'th for a Puppet Show I'm doing for a party." :concern:

Thank you

Jesse (AKA) Ploobis :smile:
I'm pretty sure you can't use an all-purpose dye, such as RIT, to dye feathers. I found a page that suggests you use an acid-based dye for this. Acid dye dries a lot faster and absorbs quicker because of a stronger chemical reaction with the material. The page is here... http://www.prochemical.com/directions/WF_SilkFeathers.htm

Good luck!

Teenager's

Reaction score
I usually just run the warm water in the sink for awhile then fill up a bucket.

For your gonzo nose I would suggest dying it a blue base color, then air brushing the lighter blue on later. The same with the eyelids. Dye the yellow base then airbrush the green on.

propologist

Reaction score
Hi ploobis,
Don't use rit dye on his nose. the real gonzos are all air brushed on no dye. Thats why he has so much depth to the foam (all the under colors you can see.)

Hope this helps,

Mike
propologist

ploobis

Reaction score
Thank you everyboby for all of the helpful info! :smile:

You can check out my foam Gonzo head on my pics from my myspace.

www.myspace.com/jesseoliver1

Also be sure to check out my other puppets that I have made over the years. :concern:

Jesse (AKA) Ploobis

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Hi ploobis,
Don't use rit dye on his nose. the real gonzos are all air brushed on no dye. Thats why he has so much depth to the foam (all the under colors you can see.)

Hope this helps,

Mike
propologist

no he isnt,

dyed yellow foam, dry brushed paint, very low tech

Onath

Reaction score
what kind of paint would you suggest to drybrush on foam?

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I'll use this thing for future references.

ploobis

Reaction score
Hey Gang'

My Gonzo puppet is almost finished!

A few weeks ago I gave Gonzo a bass Rit-Dye color of Golden Yellow. The I toped it with Purple & Blue Floral Spray Paint, It looks GREAT!

I also Rit-Dyed his eye lids Golden Yellow.

You can see pictures of how he looks so fare on my myspace.

www.myspace.com/jesseoliver1

Today I just put the blue fur over his head and glues his arms on his body. I will put more pictures on my website when I get the chance. :concern:

Enjoy!