Favorite Christmas Eve on Sesame Street Scenes

D'Snowth

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
You know, had there been more communication between Big Bird and Cookie Monster on this special, they could have worked out a good deal. Cookie could have told Big Bird Santa's phone number and Big Bird could have dialed for him to ask for cookies AND how he gets down the chimney. Now, THAT would have been cooperation. LOL
That's true, but then, that would probably would make it a litle shorter. Besides, I believe the video was meant for Big Bird not to find out. BTW, I forgot about the scene with Grover asking the kids about how Santa gets down the chimney, but the way I was referring to was that Grover wasn't in any of the street scenes. And that's what surprised me. What would be funny, is if Grover was a Christmas tree seller, and Mr. Johnson would be ify about buying a Christmas tree from Grover, of course, it was done in Elmo Saves Christmas.

Censored

Reaction score
There were also some characters in the special that seemed to fade out after the skating party, like David and The Count.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Hmmm. Let me think. There were some good ones.

I thought it was funny that Ernie was worried about Bert losing his paper clips. Then he threw the one he found back on the floor.

The songs were great too. Especially "True Blue Miracle" and "Keep Christmas With You."

Also, I thought it was good seeing Mr. Hooper. This is really the only thing I remember seeing him in, since I was pretty young when he died.
I love that video! I am a Sesame fan from the beginning, so I loved seeing all the characters as I remember them from my childhood :smile: Love Mr. Hooper. And I think it's so neat that my kids recognize all those vintage characters.

Some of my faves..."Keep Christmas with you" my 3 year old gets so excited every time and comes and tells me, "Mommy, they talkin' a hands!"

Love the "Gift of the Magi" with Ernie and Bert.

Love the sketch with Grover and "Billy", he's the little guy who pretends to be asleep and Grover (pretending to be Santa) keeps waking him up to ask how he can get out of the house. Another one my little girl loves, she and I quote the whole scene along with them!!

Elizabeth :halo:

muppetfan620

Reaction score
My favorite part is where Oscar is playing Crack the Whip with the rest of the SS gang and crashes through the wall, down the stairs, and out the door! Hilarious! :zany: :smile: :stick_out_tongue:

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
"Keep Christmas with you" is definately one of my favorites. Bob has always been my favorite "human," and, IMO, him and Susan always had the greatest voices.
And I think it's so neat that my kids recognize all those vintage characters.
It's so great to hear that. This is also why I think more of the older episodes and specials should be released on DVD. Sony Wonder has put out some of the older stuff, but there should be more.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After watching the video for almost 2 years now, I have one question: Was Mr. Hooper (or actually I should say Will Lee) Jewish? Because that one scene where Bob wishes him a happy Hannukah, and Mr. Hooper has that "aw shucks" look.

BTW, the back of the case of my copy said that this was made in 1987, I know that's a typo because Will Lee died in 83. Does anyone else's copy have the same typo?

ssetta

Reaction score
It was originally a PBS special that first aired in 1978, but it was never released on video until 1987. That's why it says that.

Oliver

Reaction score
Maybe it's because I've never seen this in my youth and so I have no fond memories of the special, but I purchased this dvd last month after reading online reviews of it at Amazon and I hated it!! In fact, I gave it away as a present to my little cousin this weekend. The only skits I actually enjoyed, were the ones with Grover and the kids and Ernie and Bert. I was fastforwarding through almost everything else. I didnt find it funny or entertaining at all. It seemed to be directed more towards younger children than most other Henson specials in the sense that it didnt hold much appeal to an older audience and I just found it corny and boring. I guess I was just expecting to watch a classic seasonal episode of Sesame Street and was dissapointed but I truly did not like this one bit!

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
OMG! OMG! Dissing Xmas Eve on SS? That's sacreligious, I tell ya!

May the almighty frog have mercy on your soul

Whatever

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
OMG! OMG! Dissing Xmas Eve on SS? That's sacreligious, I tell ya!

May the almighty frog have mercy on your soul
My thoughts exactly!