Some advice for my first date

wombat woman

Reaction score
OK, this may be too late for your actual date (since I'm posting this on Saturday night, thereby also demonstrating my current lack of a life), but these are three simple suggestions based on my first dates (good & bad):

1) Try to do something that your date will find interesting. If you don't know, ask. Give a couple of options. ("So, um, I was thinking about where to go on our date. How do you feel about seeing [insert movie/concert title] or maybe going to see the Monet exhibit at the Art Gallery?")

2) A good first date includes both entertainment & food, preferably in that order. That way you have something specific to talk about while eating burgers/sharing lattes/slurping snow cones. Usually the strolls in the park work better on the second date, when you've gotten comfortable talking.

3) Stop stressing about her opinion of you. She's agreed to go out with you, remember? So that means she likes you already. Instead, pay attention to her. Ask her questions, watch her expressions, listen to her answers. Not only is this very appealing to most women, but it's also a good way to deal with your own self-consciousness.

Oh, and as a bonus--to kiss or not to kiss: Rule 3 (paying attention to her reactions) is your best guide. But if you're not sure, a kiss on the cheek (kinda close to the mouth so she can turn her head if she likes) and thanking her for a great time is a pretty safe route.

Good luck. :sleep: :big_grin:

ta, wombat

Maestro

Reaction score
Wow, very smart, wombat woman. Thanks alot, I'll keep those things in mind. It wasn't too late at all, as my date won't be 'til next Saturday

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
That made me giggle, Wombat.
Very nice tips.

:big_grin:

*Tries it on her fudge*

:confused:

LOL!

*Wierdo*

Maestro

Reaction score
Well, it's official; I don't understand women.

The week before last I asked her out, then we had a week off for Thanksgiving. Today I saw her again and I as I prepared to make some plans with her, she tells me she thought about it over break and decided maybe we should just be friends.

Anyway, thank you for the advice anyway, and I'll be sure to apply what I have learned when I do finally get to go on a date.

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
I'm sorry it turned out that way.
There's plenty o' fishies in the sea. :smile:

Maestro

Reaction score
Yes, I suppose so. I'm too busy with other things right now to be too upset anyway.

Man, my last post was really redundant...

MGov

Reaction score
Well, when the real first date does happen, do what Wombat said.

And remember, no matter what happens, IT WILL NOT BE YOUR LAST DATE EVER.

Heck, I'm trying to remember my first real date and I'm having some trouble doing that. I remember my first date with my wife and a few other first dates. And I remember the girl the first date was with. but I can't remember what we did.

So don't let yourself be under a lot of pressure for it to be perfect. If you are relaxed, it will be more fun for everyone.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
General Good Advice

The world is full of people, I'm sure you'll find the girl that's right for you.

In the future of dating it's good to have some old stand-bys: the movies, picnic near a park or landmark you enjoy, a restaurant or cafe you know and like. It's also good to try and customize your plans to the person you're dating. Find out enough of her interests to figure into the plans. That way, even if it doesn't work out she will likely feel flattered at the gesture. :flirt:

And always remember that there's never any pressure. People seem to be most at ease with others who are at ease with themselves.

This is just some good advice all around because seeing that you almost had this first date, another one is probably likely in the not so distant future. Good luck! :smile:

_____________________________________​

On another note - it's a good idea to leave the cellphones at home or turn them off altogether! I left a date for taking a call during dinner! Not joking. Just picked my stuff up and left. Of course a thoughtful warning came first. Bad dates can happen to anybody! :zany: Just glad I already found my mate. Took some time and some colorful experiences, of course.