Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

dwayne1115

Reaction score
to me this is a slap in the face to not only Jim Henson, but to every singal person that had a part in the frist movie. Making a second movie only to put it on DVD with a low bugget seems to say they really dont have the passion and love for this movie then Jim did with the first one.
You can really see the passion for the movie(And not just passion from Jim but everyone.) when you watch the behind the scences short that is put on almost all the DVD's of the first movie

This is looking like Henson is doing the same thing it did with the classic muppets. They started out real good with there first two movies MCC and MTI but as time and money went on they lost interest, and that my friends is kind of sad. The fact they don't respect all the hard work there father has done over the years is just very sad.

winkyboy

Reaction score
Yeah... disappointed here, too. What more can I say? "Boo!" perhaps. At the very least I HOPE they put the effort in to make it good. DVD-releases have a history of being crap, yet that certainly doesn't HAVE to be the case.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yeah... disappointed here, too. What more can I say? "Boo!" perhaps. At the very least I HOPE they put the effort in to make it good. DVD-releases have a history of being crap, yet that certainly doesn't HAVE to be the case.
Yea i mean just look at some direct to Video things like Land Before Time the first two movies where really good then when they started doing like five and i think now we are all the way up to ten they are cheaply made and just crap. If they where going to make so many they should have just done a tv show. Another good example is Home Alone 1 and 2 where great the rest alll Direct to video where trash. so yea i think it really sets the good ones off when there are to many badly made direct to videos made.

alorindanya

Reaction score
Why does everyone attack Mirrormask? Mirrormask had a very small theaterical release (as in it only went to independant movie theaters, about one per state) and it's storyline and writing were amazing! I personally didn't get to see it in theaters and thought it was going to be a gamble to purchase it as soon as it came out on DVD, since I hadn't seen it and it got such mixed reviews by so many people on this board, but DANG was it a good gamble to take. It is visually stunning, regardless of what medium was used.

CGI is the future, people. Accept it.

As for DC2 going direct to DVD, I feel very sad for this, because if it doesn't get widely advertised that it is being released to DVD, people won't know to look for it. Now, I think they did a good job advertising Mirrormask's DVD release, so hopefully since DC was such a big deal, they will do a good ad campaign for the sequel's release.

JMPrater

Reaction score
The issue with MirrorMask isn't the story, it's the production value/s. Period.

MirrorMask is marred by poorly rendered CGI and creature effects that don't, for the most part, blend well within their environment.

The issue at hand is really The Dark Crystal. That film is standard for production value and set a bar for what we've come to expect from the Henson stamp. Unfortunately, with the release of MirrorMask, the bar was dropped and production value stood out like a sore thumb ERGO reflecting the film negatively, drawing our attention to believability in the context of the effects as opposed to being lost in the quite interesting story.

Now, we are faced with the idea or notion that, because of poor funding and disorganization we will receive a half-hearted film, pushed to DVD as an only option. I will say this again, I would love to be proven wrong.

This sequel is a film you risk everything for, just like Jim Henson did. You do as much as possible to release on par with the effects in the LOTR films. Anything less dishonors Jim's hardwork and sacrifice.

J.M. Prater

Robin

Reaction score
Seems I was right all along! The Muppets and everything Henson died with Jim! How upsetting! This news about the Dark Crystal 2 in plain English STINKS!:grouchy:

bknatchbull

Reaction score
"Power of the Dark Crystal" still planned for theatrical release. Jan/8/08

:smile: Hello,

From Nicole Goldman, Vice President, Marketing & Publicity, The Jim Henson Company:

“We are thrilled and grateful that fans are so interested in the progress of ‘Power of the Dark Crystal’ – an especially important project to us that will require great care and attention throughout the production process. A project of this scale takes a lot of time and energy and we continue to work through the development phase, maintaining our original vision of a film for theatrical release that combines traditional puppetry and animatronics with cutting edge CG animation. We’ll be sure to keep fans up to date as more information is confirmed.”

Take care!

Brian Knatchbull

MattFraggle

Reaction score
This is so disappointing. Here's what I have to say to ANYONE at Henson.

*rant to follow*

Look, I know you're a business, and from a business standpoint, releasing it straight to DVD seems a logical step for you, but you're pretty much regulating a HUGE movie with LOADS of nostalgia behind it to nothing more than a babysitter's convenience plucked unceremoniously from the $2.00 bin at your local Wal-Mart.

*shakes head* Cowardly. That's what this seems like. It's almost as if you got bored with the idea of making a sequel. You don't even know what you have! Some of the most beloved and memorable characters in history, and you want to release this DIRECT TO VIDEO? There are people doing better CG effects in their basements than most studios these days, and you can't seem to make something professional enough for theaters?

ARRRGH!
*tearing my hair out in huge clumps*

Heck, I'm a screenwriter! AND an animator who has worked for major Hollywood studios! ( Just like Gennedy dangit ) If you're having story problems let ME take a crack at it! Or do SOMETHING to get this rolling for a THEATRICAL release! This isn't Mexico! It's HOLLYWOOD! How cheap can you get? It's bad enough you guys sit there and wonder, "Duhhhh...SHOULD we release Fraggle Rock on DVD? DUUUUH!"

Matt Sullivan
(animator / writer / pest )

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
Oh Dear,

The only thing I can say is this, have the Henson Company confirm this article at all? maybe it is just wishful thinking on their part. Such a shame as part of the magic is to see it on the big screen.

Unless we arrange a world wide screening, showing the film in cities across the world to show Henson that the fans still believe in the magic.

Leanne

MattFraggle

Reaction score
DO...NOT...UNDERESTIMATE....NOSTALGIA! It's as effective a marketing device as any trailer featuring CG Chipmunks eating their own poop! ( what the hey? )