Bob McGrath's singing

muppetfan89

Reaction score
does anybody else, beside me think that Bob is a wicked good singer? Just listen to him sing the Sesame Street theme for the test show, and his christmas songs, he has an awesome voice. I think if he never went on SS, he would've had a very good singing career. I'm not saying, he would've been as great as Frank Sientra or Dean Martin, but he would've done well, IMO.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Mostly definitely, he sang with Mitch Miller years before Sesame Street. I saw him in person recently at a CD signing, and even after all these years, his singing is immaculate. At the end he sang "Keep Christmas With You." That song means so much to me because it represents my era of Sesame Street. Without even thinking about it, I just started crying. Tears literally ran down my face. I didn't plan it, it just happened. I don't think I've ever been moved in quite that way. :smile:

sesameguy

Reaction score
Apparently Bob had quite a fan following in Japan (this is mentioned briefly in the Sesame St. Unpaved book). There are a few U.S. artists who have found extra fame in Japan, including the Carpenters. I know Bob has done some "solo" albums here in the U.S., but does anybody have any info. about any solo work he's done in Japan?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
No, I don't know about Japan, but he has released several childrens' albums under his own record label.
Singing before Sesame Street? Now that, I didn't know! Is it anywhere online?

sesameguy

Reaction score
Singing before Sesame Street? Now that, I didn't know! Is it anywhere online?
I'm not sure if it's online, but there's at least one solo "pre-Sesame" album by Bob titled "Mitch Miller presents Bob McGrath". You may be able to find a copy on eBay or a used record site.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Thanks. I just did a quick search on Ebay and couldn't find it, but I'll check again in a couple of days.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I can totally appreciate and love Bob's voice and talent today (esp as a vocal music major), but flashback 30 years and school age d.w. found Bob to be one of the "yuckiest" parts of Sesame Street...his singing was a bit too "nice" and when that was coupled with his overly peppy persona and usually getting very schmaltzy songs, i was only really happy with Bob only if he was being tormented by Oscar or some other similar fate (a telephone booth that would keep pestering him by itself, etc). Mind you, this was the same school age d.w. that would take to running and hiding in the closet in protest when they'd show a "yuchy" film like a dreadfully slow film of flowers in the rain to droning guitar music or such.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Mind you, this was the same school age d.w. that would take to running and hiding in the closet in protest when they'd show a "yuchy" film like a dreadfully slow film of flowers in the rain to droning guitar music or such.
Some things do improve with age. :smile: It's fun to look back and find the "good" parts of all the things that used to turn you off. It's like Mr. Rogers - I made fun of him when I was younger, but today I consider him a hero!

A blogger from Japan has posted a picture of the cover of the "Mitch Miller Presents Bob McGrath" album. I have trouble opening his web page, but hopefully this image will be able to come up without any issues:

http://i.blog.empas.com/kookchew/3989707_567x567.jpg

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
Apparently Bob had quite a fan following in Japan (this is mentioned briefly in the Sesame St. Unpaved book). There are a few U.S. artists who have found extra fame in Japan, including the Carpenters. I know Bob has done some "solo" albums here in the U.S., but does anybody have any info. about any solo work he's done in Japan?
Let's not forget ABBA too.

Chris Gawley

Reaction score
I used to love the sketches when Bob would sing; here are some that I remember fondly, & hope that they will appear in an "Old School" box set someday.

1) In the 70's, I loved the clips of Bob singing in the park with a bunch of kids in the wintertime! The songs that I remember him singing are "Sing" & "If You're Happy & You Know It". Does anyone else remember these?

2) Bob sings with a woodwind quartet (possibly a quintet, I can't remember) that he hears playing in the park (but this time its summertime).

While I agree that sometimes the songs Bob got to sing were a little too "cutesy", I loved his Irish tenor voice when I was a kid, & I still do!