The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

Leyla

Reaction score
Ooh, I have a question...

What would you like to see happen in a theatrical Muppet movie?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Questions for Jim Lewis – July 30, 2009

From minor_muppetz…
Clifford was introduced as a bass player on The Jim Henson Hour. Following that show's cancelation, he continued to be a musician for awhile, playing percussions with The Electric Mayhem in The Muppets at Walt Disney World, and singing on a few tracks on the original Muppet Beach Party and Kermit Unpigged albums. When he became the host of Muppets Tonight, he pretty much stopped being a musician, though he did occasionally sing and play instruments.

So, did you and/ or the other writers ever consider having Clifford continue to be a musician in addition to being the show's host?

You assume that the writers have much more power than we do. We merely suggest. And as it was on MT, it seemed like Clifford would have his hands full hosting without adding back his musical sideline. But hey, maybe if we had….we’d still be on the air. And I could be retired. Ooh, why do you get these ideas now when it’s too late for me to exploit them!

From BobThePizzaBoy…
Can we ever except a fourth volume in the Muppet-written self-help book collection or is that series finished?

From your mouth to God’s ear. I am forever hopeful. This is why I identify so strongly with Fozzie. He too believes that good things will happen. At this moment, I know nothing. Which is actually my answer to most of these questions.

Do you have a favorite sequence from something you've written that just didn't end up making the finished cut of whatever production that may be?

Don King as the Wizard in “Muppet Wizard of Oz”. I didn’t actually write it or really have much to do with the whole project, but I suggested it. Still think it would’ve been funny. “Only in Oz!u201D
Other than that, I always assume that if it didn’t make it, it’s probably for the best.

From dwayne1115…
I know we must have talked about the Electric Mayhem band before but do you see their style having to change much, with the ever changing styles of music?

I never actually think of the Electric Mayhem and the word “style” in the same sentence. They create more of a vibe, an atmospheric ambiance, a haze, if you will. And they are very very versatile, able to play whatever is needed ---and loudly, too.

Also, do you think as a bonus Feature on a Muppet DVD where you and the other people that work with the Muppets answer questions sent in by fans could work? Or could something like an Ask the Muppets kind of thing work on Muppets.com or something?

That’s crazy talk. At least the part about people like me. As for the part about “Ask the Muppets” on Muppets.com. I like the idea. But could be labor intensive. Still…Worth throwing into the idea windsock.

From theprawncracker…
Dear Jim,
I don't have a question (at this exact moment, but you and I both know that one will probably pop up by the time I finish), I just wanted to tell you how much we at Muppet Central love and appreciate you and your answers in this thread. It's truly one of the greatest things at MC and it gives us great insight into the Muppets. Thank you very, very much.

And... go figure, I do have a question. I recently discovered the other day that the inspiration I need to get back into the writing groove is watching The Muppet Movie or Muppets From Space. If you're stuck behind a massive writer's block (mine are made of cheese for some strange reason), do you have something you can watch that'll shoot you back into the mood?

I listen to the music of Bert Kaempfert or Leroy Anderson. Instrumental. Lively. Terribly catchy and silly in many places. Check them out. You can’t listen without acting foolishly, which for me usually leads to writing.

From Leyla…
Ooh, I have a question...

What would you like to see happen in a theatrical Muppet movie?

I would love to answer that question, but if I did I’d have to kill myself. And I don’t have time; I’m on deadline. Get it! Kill…DEADline! Ahhh!....Seriously, I can’t say ‘cause those are the ideas I get paid for – and as we previously established, I can’t yet afford to retire.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether you are familiar with the character I'm about to ask about, but it's worth a try.

In the second season of The Muppet Show, a reporter character named Fleet Scribbler was introduced, but the writers quickly realised that he was hard to write for, and he was soon dropped. Do you think this character would be easy for you to write for, if the opportunity came up?

Oh, and by the way, his most prominient appearance was in the Muppet Show episode with George Burns as the guest star.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Hey minor muppetz, if you don't mind i'd like to "share" that question with you and piggyback off it a little...

Though he only made a few appearances (and some off screen mentions), every time Fleet was on the show, he had laugh out loud moments - even though the writers say they had a hard time writing for him back then, i have a soft spot in my heart for the guy.

Given that we live in a much more sensationalistic, media-driven and tabloid-esque society much more now than in 1977, do you think Fleet could more easily be brought back these days? Be easier to write for? Fit in more naturally? Somehow i can much more easily see someone like Fleet getting employed by the cable news networks these days more than i can The Muppet Newsman!

Beauregard

Reaction score
And on the subject of the Newsman...Do you think he deserves what he gets? Does he do things on his weekends off that cause this cosmic karma to catch-up with him every time he's on air (like stealing peoples golf-balls, or spilling red-wine on white table-clothes at ritzy restaurants) or is he kind to animals and it's entirely unfair?

unclematt

Reaction score
Did you have any role in the writing of the Segel/Stoller script?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Jayster! I found this, and assumed it was meant to be forwarded to you:

"Dear Jeramiah Lou, I'm writing to complain about the lack of rain in Ohio. What do you have to say for yourself? -- Robert Flo."

But on a more serious note, I have a question about Interviews (ironic, a question about interviews IN an interview...ish...thing) Anyway :stick_out_tongue: You've obviously written a lot of suggestions for the content of interviews, as you've said before. But something that I've found interesting is the continuing stories that follow through in interviews. For example, you (or Eric, or someone, somewhere) started a little interview story with Piggy where she'd been on anger management courses and didn't karate job the host anymore (which was a stroke of GENIUS by the way), if I'm right...It started with the Craige Ferguson interview and continued in something on the View, and maybe even when she visited the UK to promote the DVDs. But I always felt that the sort-of ongoing storyline of Piggy's self control never quite finished (because she never got the chance to really take someone out with one stroke her her purple gloves :big_grin:)...So, after that rambling prelude, my question is whether you do feel that you can include on-going storylines within promotional interviews -- and how you deal with finishing them, when the interviews dry up again. If you see what I mean.

Thanks for all you do!

~Beau