The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Questions for Jim Lewis – December 28, 2009

From dwayne1115…
I saw you mentioned in the last batch of questions that your favorite stuff from the Muppet Show was anything that included Rowlf. We have talked about Rowlf a lot in the past, but there are a lot of fans who really miss Rowlf. My question is, will Rowlf be making a comeback like the Electric Mayhem seem to be making? Also there has been talks of this being a comeback for the Muppets, and I feel that it is really not a come back for all of them like Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, Fozzie, Pepe and Rizzo, but more of a comeback for some of the more Muppet Show Muppets like Scooter, The band, Rowlf, and so on. Any thoughts on the use of the word "comeback" regarding what is going on with the Muppets?

Comeback? Oh, I know what you mean. But I dislike the word. It’s accurate. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it. My theory on the Muppets is that when Jim, Frank, Jerry & Jerry first hit big with them, there was less media noise (e.g. the web, 500-plus channels, videogames, etc) and so when their genius and inventiveness was discovered, it reached a huge audience. Now that audience has been niche’d to death, with each scintilla of ones life divided into a demographic fiefdom wherein one can locate the specific material appealing to one’s self. The community of Muppet followers remains, but it has been splintered by all the other great (and not-so-great) stuff out there. The task is to put the Muppets in front of as many people as possible. That’s what the TV specials and appearances are about, and most notably the “Bohemian Rhapsody” video. Suddenly, more people are discovering (or re-discovering) what makes these characters so wonderful. (On that note, we stand on the shoulders of giants and we have a bad sense of balance, but we are building on the work of J,F,J&J.) So, comeback? I don’t think so; it’s more a matter of rediscovery and discovery, both by the audience and by those who create and perform the characters.

….Now, as for the issue of individual characters. Obviously, what makes the characters unique (among other things) is that they are performed by individuals who are supremely talented and who are themselves characters in many respects. So, in real world situations, the Muppet characters don’t have to wait for teleprompter suggestions, they are themselves and react accordingly. When a performer changes, such as with Jim’s characters, there is a learning curve for a new performer to be subsumed by the character, and a tendency to hold back on use of that character. Eventually, it happens (as with Kermit) and a new blossoming begins. (Hey, what’s going on with these metaphors? Can teleprompters blossom?) In any case, that’s what’s happened with individual characters. As the performers become more comfortable in the character – and the writers become again familiar and comfortable with writing for that character—we rediscover what made Rowlf and the rest so great. And, yet again, there’s a comeback.

From theprawncracker…
Hey Jim!

I just read an interview with Kermit where he talks about he and Fozzie being like brothers, and that really touched me (go figure). I just recently told my own best friend that we're like brothers (I don't know which one of us is Kermit and which is Fozzie), but it really struck a chord so I wanted to compliment you on that if you wrote it (which I'm sure you must have).

As for my real question... or my only question, I suppose... Are you giving everyone on your Christmas list copies of Before You Leap, Diva Code, and It's Hard Out Here for a Shrimp for Christmas? If so, do you see any revenue from purchases you make? Also, how do I get on this Christmas list? (Kidding, of course.)

Take care, Jim, and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Beginning at the end: Thanks! I did have a wonderful Christmas, which continues through until the kids go back to school on January 4th, not that I’m counting the days. (Got a great t-shirt from my wife, featuring Curly as the Godfather – “Don Curly’one”. Now that’s genius.)

Okay, as for the books as gifts. Yes, I did give a few folks those for the holiday, but since they think I get them free, it usually is treated as promotional opportunism on my part than an actual gift. So, I usually limit those book give-aways to those who may give me work. Revenues? I’m supposed to get paid?

Finally, to begin with, the comment about Fozzie and Kermit as brothers. Yes, that was me. And while I’ve felt that way for a long time, it really took shape when I was writing the “Before You Leap” book, most particularly that short chapter called “Fridays With Fozzie”. Fozzie and Kermit’s ease with each other is something akin to being kin. It warms me just to think of it.

From Beauregard…
Jim, HI! It's been wonderful to see (and hear!) more Muppet interviews! I wondered if you had any input on the phone interview on Radio 2 here with Kermit and Miss Piggy. I just want to say, Miss Piggy was MOST hilarious and impressive! I can't wait to see her interviews on Bonnie Hunt and Wendy Whatshername later in the week! Hope you don't mind the extra work we've made by clambering to get BoRhap released for Christmas! (Flippers crossed!)

Also, I wondered, if the Muppet Show were still on air today, who would be the ideal Guest Star you'd love to write for?

Here’s the scary thing about the radio interviews; I was in the room when they were doing them. And while I’d prepared some possible responses (and even wrote lines on sheets of paper that I waved in front of them), the phone interviews you heard were pure Kermit and Miss Piggy. When these characters get together (and those who have a hand in their performance), then they make hilarious music together. I just sit back, watch and marvel. Then go over and munch on another cheese danish while they do all the work.

It’s great to be working, so no I don’t mind the extra work.

What guest stars? Oh, I can imagine many obvious ones who’d work wonderfully with the Muppets: Jim Carrey, Jack Black, Steve Coogan, Ricky Gervais….but part of the fun of writing these guest stars is when people you may not expect would fit perfectly with the Muppets (e.g. Garth Brooks, Quentin Tarantino) turn out to be perfect. In that group, I’d love to see what would happen with the Muppets and Joe Pesci.

From 6ftInchworm… (new question asker)
Jimmy Jim Jim! Long time lurker, first time poster! Hope you didn't mind me crawling "under your skin" so to speak...

Oh, right, the question. Jim, looking back in your Muppet career, are there any moments where you go "oh geez, that could of been so much better", or, possibly your weakest writing sketches you were involved in? Or, in Muppety fashion, moments where you wish there WAS a Penguin being blown out to save the piece?

Well, hope I gave a good first impression! And a very late Merry Christmas kind sir (okay, it wasn't dead, but you now what I mean).

Oh, so you’re the one under my skin? Well, suffice it to say I’d sacrifice anything come what may for the sake of having you near…..

As for blown-chances as they say in relief pitching, I must admit there are more than I’d care to think of aloud. It isn’t, however, from lack of effort by those involved (or even by me he adds, trying desperately to distance himself from his own failures). I would be remiss to those involved to mention such instances by name, for it would reflect badly upon them when all I intend to do here is don my hair shirt and take all the blame myself. So, yes, I know my failures, and while I will not mention them by name, I suffer for them silently each day. Thanks for reminding me….OW! (Well, that wasn’t very silent, was it?)

By the way, great first questions!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Great Questions and some very great answers!

Now my question

I really love how you and others have tried to bring back the Fozzie and Kermit relationship, and the Kermit Fozzie and Gonzo trio is always fun. Howevere watching the Muppet Show season One, and I see how kind of short tempered Kermit was. Has Kermit along with Puggy gone through some sort of anger managment class? I read some where on the froums that some people thought that Steve's Kermit was to mean, and that he has had to tone Kermit's anger down. Do you have any thoughts on this? or can you shed some light on this?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Great Questions and some very great answers!

Now my question

I really love how you and others have tried to bring back the Fozzie and Kermit relationship, and the Kermit Fozzie and Gonzo trio is always fun. Howevere watching the Muppet Show season One, and I see how kind of short tempered Kermit was. Has Kermit along with Puggy gone through some sort of anger managment class? I read some where on the froums that some people thought that Steve's Kermit was to mean, and that he has had to tone Kermit's anger down. Do you have any thoughts on this? or can you shed some light on this?
Let me re- word my question, I can do better then that!

I have been watching The Muppet Show season one, and I noticed something about Kermit. Fozzie, Piggy and all the other Muppets really pushed Kermit's buttons. He would almost always end up yelling at someone. In recent things Kermit has been a lot more melow, and I was wondering if he and Piggy both took anger managment? On a side note to that I have read on here on Muppet Central that people have said that Steve's perfromince of Kermit's anger was "to mean". Do you have any thoughts about any of this?

6ftInchworm

Reaction score
It's a mouthful!

Jim! Thanks for answering my question! And thanks for the compliment! I'll make sure you get question like the following from now on: Are you aware that you have the same first name of a famous puppeteer?

Okay, I kid. My next question (or rather, questions relating to the subject in hand) involves the following: Tom Martin. First off, since he was the "Script Doctor" on "IAVMMCM", can you tell which jokes/story points was his, and which jokes/story points were yours (I mean, I don't think those parodies and, ahem, "Scooter" moments in the special was in your original script)? Were you contacted, or at least, aware of the changes he did? What was he like (and his favorite flavor of cheese)? And above all else, are you satisfied with the final product? Us Muppet fans have a "love it or hate it"/"hate it first, love it later"/"love some things, hate other things" relationship with it, so it would be curious on what you think of it.

And you know, all this writing stuff leads to another question; since you knew Jerry Juhl pretty well, and since "The Muppet Show" had writers come and go, can you (or rather, did he) tell us (or you) which sketches were his and which sketches was someone else? For instance, Josesph A. Bailey. What did he worked on?

And another thing; What about the writers on "Muppets Tonight"? That had more writers than the actual Muppet Show, so who's stuff was who? I mean, Jennifer Barrow. I might need help finding her material.

Whew. Hope I didn't give you a brain knot from all that. Feel free to skip some of this if you want, let's not start the new year with a whimper than a bang! And with that, see you (or rather, read and "watch your work" you) in the new decade! We're in store for something, aren't we?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
It's often been said about Muppets Tonight that the writers had a bit of a hard time balancing the sitcom-like backstage plots with the variety show format of The Muppet Show. Looking back on the show now, what do you think worked better for Muppets Tonight?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have a general writing question. Do you or any of the other writers write scripts on computers, or do you still write scripts on typewriters in this day and age?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
We have some great questions, and tomrow i will send them to Jim!
We are almost to 600 posts in this thing WOW!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey there, Jim! Couple of questions for you... First, Team Leno or Team Coco?

As for my REAL question... Did you have a hand in the upcoming Muppet Cooking Show with Cat Cora? Do you have any idea when we can expect to see that?

Thanks Jim! Give long and proper! ...Or something.