London, UK puppetry training

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was anyone on here who had been on any of the training courses or part time courses in the UK (particularly London) for puppetry training/making etc?

Most of the ones I've seen look horrendously expensive or aimed at people who don't go to work full time (which I do).

I've just signed up to one at the City Lit for beginners and I just wondered if:
1) any one else had been on it or was signed up for it?
2) if any one on here had been on one of the other (more expensive) puppetry courses and workshops who would be willing to tell me what the course involved, how much it was, etc?

Thanks! (And hello to anyone else who just reads this, even if it doesn't apply to them).

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I am not sure how much it costs, but Michael Earl was planning to do some TV puppetry courses in the UK in April. Check out www.teachingtour.com for details.

Luke

Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning that Buck, i might go and have a go. It's £59 for the day i think.

Luke

Reaction score
Are these for beginners because i'm seriously considering going, i know about cameras etc from working in tv production but never picked up a puppet.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
I'm considering going to Michael Earls class too. But I think its going to be a nice experience, I think if you've worked infront of a camera with a puppet, you wont learn much there.

Reaction score
Well I'm going on the City Lit one which starts this weekend and then I've signed up to the Michael Earl one in London in April - and I have no experience, so hopefully he'll be prepared for a few newbies. Are any of you chewie on The Stage's forums? They've been talking about it over there too. May be full of students from the Central School of Speech and Drama as they get it for free, but we'll see I guess.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Well there will be CSSD students there, but there aren't many. And yes they do get it for free but they are paying alot of money to study at Central in the first place.

Reaction score
Well, unless they have a DADA, in which case they aren't. But that's certainly what has put me off doing the Central puppetry course previously.
I didn't get a place on the Michael Earl course. It was booked up.
:frown:

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Michael Earl's teaching tour of London seems to have ground to a halt over immigration/permit issues. The classes at Central certainly have been cancelled, which is a shame, especially as I've turned down work in order to go