Top 5 Retired Sesame Street Muppets

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:search: I didn't list him before, but sure do miss this fella. :search:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Posted my thoughts on the overexposure of Elmo in the retired Muppets list thread before i discovered this one (quick summary - it's not so much that he's been overexposed but it's been his personality/design changes that have annoyed me in the past decade more than his screentime), so here's my list...with one exception, nothing that hasn't been mentioned already...
Yeah, without turning this into another Elmo thread, I agree. But for me, it's a little of column A and column B. I really miss him being more monstery, which explained his talking in third person. And it seems that Kevin had more fun playing him as a monster child than a child monster (difference is that the first word is the one that's emphasized).

Anyway, there are just too many classic characters you don't see anymore to list. Surely there are characters that were irreplacable. No wonder why Guy Smiley hasn't been seen out of 2 projects. I don't know if they decided that Eric would be the fulltime performer yet (similar thing with Dr. Teeth it seems). And there are ones that sadly don't fit in with random standards they seem to impose on themselves.

Though with Jerry giving less and less imput, understandably, I'd consider everyone but Count VonCount retired. I remember it said that they were about to audition new actors to play his roles. The only ones I've seen recast so far are Lew Zeland (on the TMS front) and the first head of the 2 Headed Monster (which could also have been a chemestry thing, makes me think David and Joey ARE joined at the hip).

That said, they really need to bring back Benny full time. He's my favorite new school retiree. Going back to the Elmo thing a little, it's disappointing that Kevin only really play him, and not too many of his other characters. he's so versitile.

pagesidehigh

Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite on this one too.

1 Herry Monster (I miss his blue fuzzy self)
2 Kermit the Frog (I miss his reports)
3 Little Bird (whatever happened to him?)
4 Bruno (word is he was never rebuilt)
5 The Yip Yips (I know, a simple gag, but it's funny)
(along with the cast of Sesame Street before it became the Elmo Show) :grouchy:

Elmo is my choice for a character that could hang in the background for a while so the other fuzzy fellas can have a turn. S is for Sesame and it's also for Sharing! :frown:
AMEN! :insatiable:

I dont watch much anymore since my kids are too big but i noticed even before that it was really going downhill and becoming the elmo and baby bear show (ugh!)

pagesidehigh

Reaction score
and whatever happened to that shady guy that would sell you a letter from inside his trenchcoat? and sherlock hemlock? and is prairie dawn still around?

what about DON MUSIC?

BEAR

Reaction score
Guys, this wasn't meant to turn into one of those Elmo bashing discussions. Just a reminder is all. :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
and whatever happened to that shady guy that would sell you a letter from inside his trenchcoat? and sherlock hemlock? and is prairie dawn still around?

what about DON MUSIC?

Yes, Prairie Dawn is still a regular character on the show.

anytimepally

Reaction score
Sherlock Hemlock
Frazzle
Herry Monster
Farley
Kermit the Frog

so, basically, Jerry Nelson & Kermit :smile:

I still think of Little Bird as a boy. Has that ever been established or is it up to individual interpretation? Jim began the character, if I am correct. :smile:
I think he's a boy, too.. there's a song on Grin & Giggle with Big Bird called "Mr. Little Bird, Mr. Big Bird" .. or maybe it's the other way around, but either way, they're both Mr.

Drtooth

Reaction score

what about DON MUSIC?
Well, there are some factors at play. Both Don Music (headbanging) and Lefty, the Salesman were dropped because they were deamed unappropriate. And even still, who can perform Don like Richard? Richard and Jim are gone, Frank has his foot out the door, and Jerry seems to be in a 60% retirement. So we lose all those characters until they can find suitable recasts, which is harder than you think. Plus, some of the writers justy can't come up with new matereal for the characters you have left.

But Prarie is always going to be a fixture someway or another, even with Fran being Zoe most of the time.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Professor Hastings is gone too.But I think they got rid of him because he resembled an old person falling asleep all the time.And I don't think the producers of SS wanted kids thinking that old people (like their grandparents) are like that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Professor Hastings is gone too.But I think they got rid of him because he resembled an old person falling asleep all the time.And I don't think the producers of SS wanted kids thinking that old people (like their grandparents) are like that.
But they are! Look at my dad: he falls asleep in front of the TV on a semi-nightly basis!