Empire acquires rights to Jim Henson screenplay

What do you think of Empire acquiring the rights to the Henson screenplay?

• The movie is a great idea. I hope that it gets produced.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • I'm concerned that it can be done well and will honor Jim.

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • It's not worth doing if either Disney or Sesame don't support the movie.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I don't want to see it. Hollywood will likely misrepresent Jim’s life.

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
... but i really don't see Disney getting involved with an Empire production. Why would they? They'd be better off just make it themselves. I think if this was to be done properly it would need to be with a bigger studio.
I think they could partner up. Films these days usually have five minutes of various company logos before they actually start! Empire could shoot it and Disney could pick it up and handle the release and advertising. Just a thought. That would give Empire the right to use Muppet characters and Disney a bite at some profits, or is that a little unlikely?

Luke

Reaction score
I think they could partner up. Films these days usually have five minutes of various company logos before they actually start! Empire could shoot it and Disney could pick it up and handle the release and advertising. Just a thought. That would give Empire the right to use Muppet characters and Disney a bite at some profits, or is that a little unlikely?
I would have said yes but looking at Empires background and business model i think they aren't in the same league and the whole point to them is that they make indie films for small budgets (usually 5-10m) and making them financially attractive for investors by filming in countries with tax breaks - so the whole point to them is that are a small budget alternative to major studios with direct to dvd, tv, and limited indie theatrical distribution. Nothing they've done yet has had major success but the quality looks ok.

They've just also optioned a Marvin Gaye biopic exactly the same but i'm not sure whether they have his image rights as they use the term (with Henson as well) "life story rights", which could just mean a script, or could mean trademark rights. That's why i thought they were probably looking more for Henson involvement as a co-producer than Disney but i'm sure if there was any chance of that it would have been done prior to us hearing about it and we would have heard from Nicole Goldman. So it seems more like they are trying to go it alone, at least they don't look all that sensationalist to me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ItR4XcVSX78

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
I think we're all saying the same thing.... The integrity of all parties has to be there. Disney can't harm the future of the Muppets, which like it or not is in their hands. Empire can't harm the past which they've taken responsibility of.

Personally, the movie's a great idea. Realistically, though, a movie to recreate the past is hard. Doing it to recreate real celebrities/ idols is harder. To completly remake an entire cast of beloved characters and the people performing them (to my knowledge) has never even been done. It seems hard. But let's not forget that we're dealing with a man who could get a frog on a bike, a pig to swim, and a bird to bring peace to a foreign country. Simple is good, and nothing is impossible!

Also, as much as I don't feel he particuarly has the maturity to handle the role, I thought of a person who may beable to take on Caroll Spinney. He may be too short, but David Spade really has some of the same features that Caroll has, especially from Sesame Street's early years. I can see him attempting the characters too; similar voices. Just an idea...

Opinions welcome. New ideas highly anticipated!

peyjenk

Reaction score
I don't mean to attack anyone's ideas, but to be honest, any movie that headlines Drew Carrey, David Cross, and David Spade is not one that I want to see... even if they are playing Muppet folks.

BEAR

Reaction score
I don't mean to attack anyone's ideas, but to be honest, any movie that headlines Drew Carrey, David Cross, and David Spade is not one that I want to see... even if they are playing Muppet folks.
Who said anything about David Spade? Yuck!

And one of the other reasons I did suggest Drew Carey is that he's a good family household name. He has a good image.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
I just wanted to say that those that posted about Jeff Daniels, Ryan Gosling playing Jim would be a great idea. I also like the title "Jim" opposed to just "Henson". It does have a better feel to it. Also I think it could work either way as movie shown on tv,or just a show with a season or two or theatrical. As for teaching the actors puppetry, there are also ways to skirt around that issue to, camera angles and editing, got to love it. As for getting it made why don't we as a fan base write to the Henson company about it showing,letting them know are interest. We may be few and far between but we sure can create hype to those who are just general puppeteering/muppets/Jim Henson fans. Just a few thoughts. I really hope this does go through and they start working on it. I think in the right hands it really could be a great film/show. It would also be neat if someone also does a Disney bio. I would love to see both. Both were great men and have left a wonderful legacy.

unclematt

Reaction score
I can not wait for Henson to hit the theatres. I may be more excited about this film than the new Muppet film that is being written.