Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclematt

Reaction score
I hear alot of complaints anout the jaded humor in VMMC (such as Scooter in the Go-Go cage) but I think people need to realize that you need to attempt to bring the Muppets into the present in all aspects and one of those aspects is the humor. Thats what makes Pepe such a great addition to the cast, his humor is definately geared toward a more adult crowd. Okay. The Muppets need to matre with the times just like everything else. Honestly it was not all that jaded.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
I hear alot of complaints anout the jaded humor in VMMC (such as Scooter in the Go-Go cage) but I think people need to realize that you need to attempt to bring the Muppets into the present in all aspects and one of those aspects is the humor. Thats what makes Pepe such a great addition to the cast, his humor is definately geared toward a more adult crowd. Okay. The Muppets need to matre with the times just like everything else. Honestly it was not all that jaded.
Yeah, personally I didn't find it that jaded either. I mean the go-go dancing and everything takes place in an alternate universe where Kermit was never born--it's supposed to be bad and offputting and different from what we know. I think that was the point.

And aside from the stunt casting (Scrubs, the phone calls to Kermit's "celebrity friends" and Matthew Lillard---gag me) and one or two moments here and there (Fozzie's stint as the Grinch...) I think the movie is wonderful and immensely enjoyable. The whole "I wish I'd never been B-O-R-N BORN!" segment is PRICELESS and the scene with Gonzo and Kermit in the AU is so endearing. Plus, I mean... Kermit always seems to be taking care of everyone else. It was good to see him be the on in need. Sure we've seen MANY instances of him blowing up at everyone or feeling completely overwhelmed but he usually helps himself out (I'm thinking along the lines of "Bein' Green" on TMS). I think it humanizes Kermit that some problems are so big they threaten to completely destroy him and he can't get through it by himself.

I just love that movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
From the articles I have read that's precisely what Segel isn't interested in doing. That's what excites me. As has been said in this thread by others - I think he gets it. No Girls Gone Wild jokes, no "Way to get down with your bad selves" out of character Kermit lines, and yet no dumbing it down for the kids either. The Muppets have always walked a line of innuendo, but I don't think they'll have any "Bike in the trunk" lines.
That's a fear I'm glad is put to bed. I actually am not a big fan of any of the movies they've done, and it's not my kinda thing. The thing that excited me about them working on the project is how big of fans they are. And the exact things they talked about in their interviews really exite me.

I could see a couple current asides, but nothing too pop cultury. At least in their original script. Hopefully another MFS studio interferance won't happen with this film.

I agree with that. I think the only thing that really stunted the movie was the NBC cameos. If they were made by the NBC execs or the writers to butter up to NBC to air the movie, I don't know. But they really made it less a movie than a 2 hour TV special. I think the humor was more jaded, and done even worse in Muppet OZ.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
no "Way to get down with your bad selves" out of character Kermit lines
Actually, I love that moment in "Muppets From Space". I don't think it was out of character, I think it's a hilarious example of Kermit's trying a new phrase out and just not getting it. That line would work with, say, Pepe or Clifford, but with Kermit, it just doesn't. I think it's a cute moment more than an inappropriate one.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Actually, I love that moment in "Muppets From Space". I don't think it was out of character, I think it's a hilarious example of Kermit's trying a new phrase out and just not getting it. That line would work with, say, Pepe or Clifford, but with Kermit, it just doesn't. I think it's a cute moment more than an inappropriate one.
I agree.

I used to play a role-play character called Father Moppet who was a 'proper' British father, who used to try and be cool. And it would be hilarious if he said that, or tried rapping. I think Kermit tries to be cool, much the way that any other comic his age does, almost to poke at the new expressions and stuff just be showing how they don't fit him.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I agree.

I used to play a role-play character called Father Moppet who was a 'proper' British father, who used to try and be cool. And it would be hilarious if he said that, or tried rapping. I think Kermit tries to be cool, much the way that any other comic his age does, almost to poke at the new expressions and stuff just be showing how they don't fit him.
Exactly.

When all is said and done, I think it's safe to assure ourselves that we'll never see the Muppets using certain four-letter words.

Greedo

Reaction score
Boy, I feel a bit leery about it. And at the same time, I'm looking forward to seeing the Muppets again. I just hope they don't destroy Henson's great legacy. So much hangs in the balance! Oooooo, I'm nervouuuus:eek:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
USED to? Hehe, kidding Beau. I totally agree with what you're saying.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Boy, I feel a bit leery about it. And at the same time, I'm looking forward to seeing the Muppets again. I just hope they don't destroy Henson's great legacy. So much hangs in the balance! Oooooo, I'm nervouuuus:eek:
i think what makes me the most nervios is having someone from the outside doing the writeing, but it also is a shy of relef that it is not the same people that wrote MWOZ

I saw knocked up and it was a very down to earth movie so i like it.

unclematt

Reaction score
While I am nervous about bringing an isider in as well, we have to realize that the Jerry Juhl (we miss you) era is over. And in order to find that next great Muppet writer we need to bring people in from the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.