The Best of Roosevelt Franklin

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If there were to be a "Best of Roosevelt Franklin" video, what segments do you think would be included? Are any speciffic Roosevelt Franklin moments thought of as "classic"? I'm sure that many adult fans (who don't visit this message baord or Muppet Wiki) would remember him, but if asked, would they be able to tell you of any speciffic Roosevelt Franklin moments?

There aren't very many Roosevelt Franklin segments in cirulation. Only three sketches that starred Roosevelt were shown on Noggin. The Old School sets don't have any bonus Roosevelt Franklin sketches, and none fo them appear in Sesame Workshop's video site. I know that You Tube has had a number of additional Roosevelt Franklin clips available, including some in other languages (which may or may not mean that Roosevelt Franklin clips are still shown in various international co-productions... Probably not odd, considering that soem countries stil show Professor Hastings segments on a regular basis). Roosevelt Franklin Counts and Roosevelt Franklin's Days of the Week are two of thsoe segmnets. I know that Danny Horn has copies of the epsidoes where the cast goes to new mexico, which include a few more Roosevelt Franklin segments. I don't know if they have been uploaded on You Tube, or if Danny Horn even does tape trades. And you can read a few Roosevelt Franklin segments in Sesame Street Unpaved, and hear plenty in The Year of Rosevelt Franklin.

But what would you consider to be the best of Roosevelt Franklin?

NantoSeiken

Reaction score
I put together a playlist of all the English language RF segments that have been posted to YouTube, here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=34FC8D05567B05AB

Even though Roosevelt Franklin was a very popular character, he actually didn't appear in all that many segments. For that reason, if there ever was a DVD release it would make more sense for it to be "The Complete Roosevelt Franklin Collection", rather than "The Best of Roosevelt Franklin". Though to be honest, I don't think any release devoted to his segments will happen in our lifetimes.

As for RF segments that I consider my favorites, I love all of his funky songs. The Alphabet and Days of the Week songs are posted on YouTube, but I'd love to see his counting song and his song about Same Sound Brown again (I have them on vinyl, but haven't seen the segments since I was a kid). I also have fond memories of Roosevelt's story about King Morty Moot Mope, and one of my all time favorites is when he taught Baby Breeze about crossing the street:

"If this cat cross the road
And only watch the light,
A car might come along
And knock him outta sight!"

ISNorden

Reaction score
YouTube gave me an error message "You do not own this playlist". Wish I could see some of those clips though; I thought Roosevelt Franklin was cool too...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Even though Roosevelt Franklin was a very popular character, he actually didn't appear in all that many segments. For that reason, if there ever was a DVD release it would make more sense for it to be "The Complete Roosevelt Franklin Collection", rather than "The Best of Roosevelt Franklin". Though to be honest, I don't think any release devoted to his segments will happen in our lifetimes.
I wonder, if a "best of" or "complete character sketch" release were to happen with any old school-era characters, I wonder who'd be the most likely. I'd guess either Guy Smiley, Sherlock Hemlock, or Forgetful Jones. A complete Guy Smiley set might not happen, since Dialing for Prizes was cut from episode 666 on DVD (The Weather Show might not be included either, as that includes a few copywrited songs).

ISNorden

Reaction score
Thanks for fixing the link, Nanto; I hadn't seen the Baby Ray or "bone in the doghouse" skits since they were on PBS way back when!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I had thought of the africa and poision sketches to be classic, though that might just be me (I don't really think the africa lesson one is that good). But the two Roosevelt Franklin sketches curre tly available at sesamestreet.org ("here and there", "Bad Luck to be Born a Duck") are really good sketches, a lot better than the africa one.

I really hope that a few Roosevelt Franklin sketches appear on the upcoming 40th anniversary DVD (preferably one with Roosevelt and his mother, and one with the classroom setting... and the headball sketch). I don't know if the bonus DVD that'll come with the upcoming anniversary book will include any bonus segments, but if it does then I hope Roosevelt is included.