Puppeteers who Can't Sing

wes

Reaction score
oh Kiki I love your avay by the way, is that Jem!

Jem is truly amazing
truly, truly, truly truly
truly Amazing!

any way thanks Mrhogg is see prefectly know thanks

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I don't think it matters too much whether your good at singing or not, but I think you must feel confident.
I get it, it's kinda like stage fright, I have a good method for that. just pretend no one is there like you're at a rehersal. but I'm sure there are other methods that works too. thanks for the motivation Kiki! :super: :smile:

wes

Reaction score
I know it always helps me to know I'm hidden behind a stage!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You can speak-sing or do little things to cover it, but ultimately it takes an enormous amount of ability to sing badly well.
Or shout-sing something like Colin Mochrie does whenever he does a Hoedown.

Greedo

Reaction score
Something that Rick Lyon talks about on his website is that if you wanna be a puppeteer, you have to be a good performer, a good actor, and a good singer. This was Jim Henson's legacy; he set the standard for puppetry. Truly respecting the art means WORKING HAARD. He literally sez to "practice until your arms fall off... and then practice some more."

Like everyone's saying, if ur heart is in the puppet(eheh, not LITERALLY:big_grin: ), and you really love what ur doing, that can transcend natural ability or lack thereof. Someone with a really nice voice won't be convincing if he/she hates puppetry! Also, a CD dub isn't what I'd recommend, being the purist I am. It just doesn't do justice for the performance, OR your self confidance. So keep up your passion for puppetry, and never never give up!

Greedo

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Something that Rick Lyon talks about on his website is that if you wanna be a puppeteer, you have to be a good performer, a good actor, and a good singer.
This is the part where I say "Wellp, two out of three ain't bad..."

Greedo

Reaction score
This is the part where I say "Wellp, two out of three ain't bad..."
LOL, oh, don't fret about it! As long as you love puppetry, and feel a connection with the characters you operate, you'll be fine. But just practice, perform, and give it ur all!:wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
LOL, oh, don't fret about it! As long as you love puppetry, and feel a connection with the characters you operate, you'll be fine. But just practice, perform, and give it ur all!:wink:
And basically that's what I've been doing for the past four years.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
greedo said something that kinda reminded me of something that personally happens to me...now i am not the best singer but ive noticed when i sing as certain of my characters they sound better then i do..my friends even say so

Jinx

Reaction score
How true! Some years ago I used to perform a safety program in elementary schools, and I'd always put a puppet into one of the sketches. One year I wrote a song for the puppet character, and ironically the only way I could sing it in the correct key was in the character's voice. If I try to sing it as myself I absolutely cannot hit the notes! But I put on "Buster's" voice and I could sing it very easily. Quite an amazing thing, the human voice!