Ask Ken at Palisades

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
Originally posted by The Count
But he does have an 81-1 record after the league execs X-amined 76 bats in the Cubs clubhouse and the 5 he has in the Hall of Fame, which all came up clean with no cork in them.
Okay, my question to you on that would be who is doing the testing of those bats? Was it an independant source, or was it Major League Baseball? If it's Major League Baseball, do you really think that they'd tell us if they found cork in some of those other bats?

Conspiracy theory begins..... I mean, arguably, Sammy Sosa is one of their most marketable stars and recognizable faces in the game today (seen on a national cable network nearly on a daily basis, so he's more than a regional star). Would baseball really allow a further black eye to the game by telling us if they found something?

I mean, really, they allow steroid use, and really have no interest in cleaning up that part of the game, why would bat corking be any different?

I know, you're going to say that baseball has steroid testing. But they don't really. The testing process is a joke. They test each player once a year, either at Spring training or at the middle of the season. And the players know ahead of time when they are getting tested, so it is very easy to run steroid cycles around the two testing periods without ever getting caught. It isn't a drug test, it's an IQ test, because you'd have to be a halfwit to fail a test with that system. The testing process is just window dressing to make it seem like they're doing something about the problem, but they aren't and could really care less, because they believe that these hulking monsters who hit the long ball put people in the seats (even though attendance records would suggest otherwise). When you compare baseball's testing process to that of the NFL, where a dozen or so guys from each team are tested at random every week, you can see the vast difference.

So, from the same league that cares little if players cheat with performance enhancing drugs, why would it be so hard to believe that they'd cover up corked bats? They could do nothing about the bat on the field because it was there for all to see, but I think baseball recognizes the fact that they need their heroes, and I wouldn't put it past them to try to put a positive spin on this any way they can.....

It's a different age we're in today. In the past, the media was on the side of baseball. If Mickey Mantle came to the ballpark drunk or Babe Ruth had a hangover, the sportswriters who traveled with the team never said a word. Today, that's good copy for a story. The media tears down heroes for a story, they don't build them up nowadays. So, someone has to do it. How about the organization that benefits the most from it? I mean, they even gave him one of the lightests suspensions (most players caught have gotten ten games, then had them reduced to seven or eight on appeal, but Sosa got eight from the start). Just something to think about.

Having said all that, I'm a huge Sosa fan, and I'd like to think it was a one time thing (although I do think he knew what bat he had, trying to break out of his slump with this "psychologically" superior lumber), and I've seen him break a ton of bats during a game and no one ever found cork before, but it does raise skepticism about everything he's ever done to this point.

Luke

Reaction score
Somebody talk about action figures ....... quick !

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I never thought I'd hear Luke say that! Um, let's see if we can bring this around to Muppets. If they make a Louis Kazagger figure, should he come with a baseball bat? :big_grin:

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I never thought I'd hear Luke say that!
Yup, how the mighty have fallen ! :wink:

Seriously, Lewis Kazzager will be a good one albeit a bit obscure but the one i'm really looking forward to is Dr Phil Van Neuter. I think it'll be very visually appealing in stores even though he isn't a major name character and i'd really like to see the MFS theme. Operating Theatre Gurney (with restraints), Brain sucking device and some surgical instruments here and there. He'd be able to torture all the other figures ! *reaches for Elmo PVC*

Also for the benefit of those who read here but not Palisades forum here's a quick review of all the news Ken has dropped over there - there will probably be two repaints now for Vacation Pepe, and the Jim Henson Muppet figure is taking so long to approve that it probably will be released in 2004. Oh a madman invaded the forum and there has been an anti-Muppet Babies backlash ! *Gasp*

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I never thought I'd hear Luke say that! Um, let's see if we can bring this around to Muppets. If they make a Louis Kazagger figure, should he come with a baseball bat? :big_grin:
No preference on accessories here, as long as he comes with a removable toupee! :big_grin:

Oh, and they started it, Luke! Just throwing in my two cents... :wink:

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Louis Kazagger
Oh, and they started it, Luke! Just throwing in my two cents... :wink:
LOL - s'ok ! I was just joking. If you guys start on Star Trek though i have to warn you i might lose the will to live ! :big_grin:

matleo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
If you guys start on Star Trek though i have to warn you i might lose the will to live ! :big_grin:

Classic Trek or Next Generation?:big_grin:

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
LOL - s'ok ! I was just joking. If you guys start on Star Trek though i have to warn you i might lose the will to live ! :big_grin:
I got it! Even worse, a combination of the two! There was that one episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine where the crew played baseball against a team of Vulcans.... :big_grin: And, no, I'm NOT kidding! :eek:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I liked that one....I believe the title was Take Me Out To the Holideck....the only title I remember from DS9...I like Voyager more

Sarah

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You're lucky Sarah. I only got to watch Voyager up to the episode where they bypass all of Borg Space until they took UPN off of my local cable provider. Haven't seen Enterprise, though I'm rully hurt that it's going down the drain and it's affecting Scott Bakula who I've always liked from Quantum Leap.

As for the baseball controversy, Louis is fright. The drug testing in baseball is a joke, and it's even voluntary so it rully doesn't work. If you want to buy into conspiracy theories, then sure Sammy knew which bat it was, and the league found cork in all of them, and he's used corked bats before, and the entire Cubs organization has been in shambles ever since Babe Ruth pointed to their doom in 1945. It may be a little naive to think that the league found cork and covered it up or found no cork in any of the bats, but hey I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt and a clean bat record can only help the damage control factor of the issue. Personally, I'd rather focus on Bonds' home runs and if he can get up to the big 3 on the hitting records.

As for Muppet figures, still think that S7 will be MTI Captain Smollet, MT Johnny Fiama and Sal or Bobo the Bear Guard, TMS Marvin Suggs, and TMS Rowlf or Sam. The figure of Louis Kazagger should come with at least a sort of headset and microphone, maybe a Muppet Sports banner, and maybe a few hair wigs or billiards balls for cross-country races.
Hope this helps and have a good day.