Body/Torso

BorkBork

Reaction score
Ok, i'm stuck.
I've never been good at making torsos, and i could really need some help. I know i could easily do a wedge thing, or a tube body, but that is a bit boring. I was thinking of torsos like these:
Click
Click

I had an idea about doing a wireframe with small gauge wire, and tracing out foam between the wires. I don't know if it will work though....

I am really lousy at coming up with new patterns, so if anyone here feels they might be able to help it would be great!

Thanks

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
This is something that I'd be quite interested to know. So far I have made one rather basic sock puppet but I definitely could do with making a body shape out of foam rather than just a "sleeve" coming from the puppet's head with the arms attatched.

MGov

Reaction score
I think the best way to learn to make good bodies is to get some cheap 1/2 inch foam and start cutting different size wedges and darts and such, glue them together and see what it looks like. Eventually, you'll figure out what works and what doesn't.

batjimi

Reaction score
Hello another way is to look at stuffed animals even buy cheap ones and deconstruct them I got a nice body shape by taking apart a fraggle stuffed animal and just tracing the pattern hers a hint... make them small first so you dont use up your foam
if you make it 2 -3 inches big see how it looks them blow up the pattern it saved me alot of money on foam good luck Jimi

Conor IX

Reaction score
In the second photograph, it looks like the torsos are a mix between wedges and tube type of torsos with a frame inside.

BorkBork

Reaction score
I remembered that i had the David Pannabecker video, and i had a look at it and duplicated that body-pattern. It taught me a thing or two and i think i got the hang of it. The body i made was reinforced with wire at the neck and sleeve holes.