The Boy, The Girl and the Jellybeans

valichick1

Reaction score
Please help me--am I crazy? I distinctly remember a SS skit with a little muppet girl--perhaps Prairie Dawn--walking along with a bag of jelly beans, and I monster muppet following her. Does ANYONE remember this? Am I making this skit up? I can't find any reference to it online...? Does anyone remember? TIA!
Sherri

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Welcome to the craziness that is Muppet Central.
About your original question, all Muppet Wiki says about the cast is that it was an Anything Muppet boy and girl. It might've been an early precursor of Prairie, but I can't say fer sure.
As for the sketch itself... Muppet Wiki lists it as having first appeared in Episode 0016, would recommend you contact fellow forum member Boober_Gorg to see if he has that one in his vast SST library. Additionally, this sketch was adapted to book format, included in the Sesame Street Library Volumes 8-10.
Hope this helps and have fun exploring the rest of the forums. :flirt:

sesameguy

Reaction score
Hi- I just wanted to confirm that this 3-part sketch really was shown. I don't have it, but I remember seeing it. The last time I saw it would probably have been in the late 1970s or very early 1980s. The girl actually looked more like Betty Lou than Prairie Dawn. I believe Jim Henson played the boy and Frank Oz the girl.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Yes, this skit does exist, and it is one of my most treasured Sesame memories ever. Hopefully sometime it will see the light of day again. Here's the lowdown:

Part One: A boy Muppet (voiced by Jim) is happy because he has a bag full of jelly beans (and jelly beans are the greatest!). He comes across a girl (Betty Lou, voiced by Frank) who's crying because she lost her own stash of jelly beans. The boy generously offers her his bag, and she is beside herself with glee.
She wanders off, ecstatic at her good fortune. The boy is happy too, because he made the girl so happy, until it dawns on him he has no more jelly beans of is own. So he bursts into tears, and as this episode ends, we're left in suspense wondering if the boy will ever see his jelly beans again. Stay tuned, folks!

Part Two: The boy is over his crying jag, and he finds the girl who is now shaking in fright, because a monster tried to take the jelly beans. The girl somehow decides to give the jelly beans back to the boy, who is happy once more (Re-u-ni-ted and it feels so good!). Until the big bad evil ugly Beautiful Day Monster shows up. The girl is calm as can be, but now the boy is shaking in his boots. The girl leaves the boy to fend for himself, and the monster eats all the jelly beans, and plants a big wet kiss on the boy. He's a little sad because his jelly beans are gone, but at least the monster is not a threat any more. Oh, the drama! Don't touch that dial folks. We're not done yet!

Part Three: Now the boy is worked up into a furious rage, for losing his jelly beans twice in one day. Lose them once, you feel sad. Lose them twice, it really makes you MAD! He's ready to go postal on someone. He bumps into the girl again, who's equally mad because she found HER jelly beans, but she has no bag to put them in. (If she had jeans, she could have a pocketful, but that's another clip!) The boy is just as miffed for having an empty bag with no jelly beans in it. Then they both have an epiphany- she could put the jellybeans in his bag. She invites him to come home for dinner, and they can have jelly beans for dessert. So they both leave on a happy note, we get to see the characters express a full spectrum of emotions, and if anyone would/could ever post this on youtube, I'd be the happiest little boy on the face of this earth.:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The girl somehow decides to give the jelly beans back to the boy, who is happy once more (Re-u-ni-ted and it feels so good!).
That "re-u-ni-ted" line sounds like a song to me. Was that sung in the sketch at that point, or did you just quote it (assuming I am right about it being a line from a song) for fun? If the sketch has any brief song lines then hopefuly Sesame Workshop can one day work out a deal to include it on a DVD release (it does seem like a handful of first season sketches feature brief quoting of songs, which would be hard to edit out).

fuzzygobo said:
Part Three: Now the boy is worked up into a furious rage, for losing his jelly beans twice in one day. Lose them once, you feel sad. Lose them twice, it really makes you MAD! He's ready to go postal on someone. He bumps into the girl again, who's equally mad because she found HER jelly beans, but she has no bag to put them in. (If she had jeans, she could have a pocketful, but that's another clip!) The boy is just as miffed for having an empty bag with no jelly beans in it. Then they both have an epiphany- she could put the jellybeans in his bag. She invites him to come home for dinner, and they can have jelly beans for dessert.
So she just got her jellybeans off the ground without it being in the bag? I hope she knew to wash them before eating them.

fuzygobo said:
So they both leave on a happy note, we get to see the characters express a full spectrum of emotions, and if anyone would/could ever post this on youtube, I'd be the happiest little boy on the face of this earth.:smile:
Or maybe Sesame Workshop will post it on it's video site. I'd like to see it, too.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
No, I just threw the "Reunited" quote in for fun, it has nothing to do with the skit. The only musical accompaniment was Joe's piano which reflects the characters' moods, happy one moment, sad the next, angry, scary, the whole nine yards.

In the book version of the skit, the girl finds her jellybeans on a table, in the tv version she finds them on the brick wall. (And of course this was back in the days we could leave things on brick walls, not have to spray them with Lysol, and we lived anyway, in spite of the risk of germs :eek: )The last scene shows them happily putting the jelly beans in a bag.

Maybe maybe MAYBE this might show up on Sesame Workshop's web page someday. Since they posted The City Mouse and the Country Mouse, anything is possible. Time will tell.

Jyllian

Reaction score
Yes!

I too, am looking for this particular sesame street clip! I have been wanting to see it for ages, checked YOUTUBE so far nothing..this is one of a few that i hope to find..does anyone know how to find it?

Katzi428

Reaction score
Thank you..thank you!!! For some reason I was thinking about this for the past day or so (and I knew it existed) But I forgot what went on in it.All I knew is that a flurry of emotions were in it. I looked it up in Muppet Wiki but didn't see it. So I typed it the keyword "jellybeans" in here in hopes of finding it & TA-DA! Found a thread about it! (I agree Jyllian..it's a shame it's not on you tube.)