Audrey 2 Disaster

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Thanks!
True... I found out that my Twoeys were bulit in 1982...! (i was 7!) Thats before lightweight foam was invented...lol! Good puppets make would have made it better! I will try to post a video soon. How many times have you done the role?
Would you be willing to give advice to someone who's trying like crazy to make sure he's the Audrey 2 puppeteer in his high school's performance of LSoH next year? :super:

Teenager's

Reaction score
When I went for the role last year for my HS production--I just asked if I could be the puppeteer. The Director said yes--but I would have to audition if another person applied for the role.
No one did.......but the director also knew I was a puppeteer & had seen my work & it was one of the reasons she chose to do the show.

What I suggest though----is to ask & if you don't already have a portfolio or tape with examples of you puppeteering.....Get one. Make one over the summer. It helps.

We rented our plants from here:
http://www.mcavenedesigns.com/index.html

They are Great to work with & it's true--pod 4 is only 30 pounds!.....It's Great......I was able to move all over the place with those babies....

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
When I went for the role last year for my HS production--I just asked if I could be the puppeteer. The Director said yes--but I would have to audition if another person applied for the role.
No one did.......but the director also knew I was a puppeteer & had seen my work & it was one of the reasons she chose to do the show.

What I suggest though----is to ask & if you don't already have a portfolio or tape with examples of you puppeteering.....Get one. Make one over the summer. It helps.

We rented our plants from here:
http://www.mcavenedesigns.com/index.html

They are Great to work with & it's true--pod 4 is only 30 pounds!.....It's Great......I was able to move all over the place with those babies....
I just hope we get our plants from there.

And, for the record, I've already asked her. She cannot pre-cast me in the role but she'll keep me in mind. Everyone says I have nothing to worry about, but I don't know. I'm certainly going to make sure she sees what I can do to show her I'm serious about puppetry and not trying to sass my way into a big part. :attitude:

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
A good friend of mine (HS Theater teacher & fellow puppeteer) did the show with his students about 3 years ago & we built the puppets. He not only looked to the kids interested in puppetry, but also the ones interested in dance.

My advice is to limber up before your audition and make sure you do your best as an actor. Just don't pester the teacher to death. Exasperating the teacher is one sure-fire way to not get the role.

Really your teacher might just be having fun seeing you sweat :wink:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
My advice is to limber up before your audition and make sure you do your best as an actor. Just don't pester the teacher to death. Exasperating the teacher is one sure-fire way to not get the role.
Well, good thing I've already started limbering then! And thank goodness I've only mentioned that I want to be the puppeteer to her once, probably the last time I will until we get closer to auditions for the show.

Jinx

Reaction score
The first time I did the show (about 17 years ago!) I TOLD the director that I'd be performing the manipulation because #1) she would not find anyone more qualified, and #2) she would not likely find anyone dumb enough to want to be inside the foam and steel contraption.

Of course I knew the director quite well, so I was able to get away with it.

I have since performed the role in two other productions. It's a heck of a workout, but an enormously fun role, particularly when you get a "voice" who plays well together.

As far as auditioning for the role goes, I doubt they'll have any kind of decent puppet to manipulate, and even if they do you probably won't have any time to get acquainted with it.

Two very important performance aspects of Twoey are focus and lip-sync. If you can demonstate these with a hand puppet I think you'll do well. I would even try to get a puppet without eyes to show ability to focus without them.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
The first time I did the show (about 17 years ago!) I TOLD the director that I'd be performing the manipulation because #1) she would not find anyone more qualified, and #2) she would not likely find anyone dumb enough to want to be inside the foam and steel contraption.

Of course I knew the director quite well, so I was able to get away with it.

I have since performed the role in two other productions. It's a heck of a workout, but an enormously fun role, particularly when you get a "voice" who plays well together.

As far as auditioning for the role goes, I doubt they'll have any kind of decent puppet to manipulate, and even if they do you probably won't have any time to get acquainted with it.

Two very important performance aspects of Twoey are focus and lip-sync. If you can demonstate these with a hand puppet I think you'll do well. I would even try to get a puppet without eyes to show ability to focus without them.
Well, I've been playing on bringing a puppet to the auditions anyway, so I have auditions hopefully covered and I can just hope for the best. Ultimately, however, I'm dealing with a director who can't seem to see me as anything but bit roles as farmers and cops (last 3 shows in a row I've played either a farmer or a cop) and she seemed to talk like she doesn't think I'd be able to do it (I could be misinterpreting her words though) but I really want to blow everyone away this year!

And I also found out that my friend has already been asked to voice the plant and he said yes (which I find slightly hypocritical, they can cast the voice early but not the puppeteer? :confused:) so I think this could be a show I'll be telling my grandkids about. :insatiable:

Kye

Reaction score
I just hope we get our plants from there.

And, for the record, I've already asked her. She cannot pre-cast me in the role but she'll keep me in mind. Everyone says I have nothing to worry about, but I don't know. I'm certainly going to make sure she sees what I can do to show her I'm serious about puppetry and not trying to sass my way into a big part. :attitude:
When I auditioned...I brought a Monkey puppet and actually Performed dentist, using him. Had the directors in stitches. Make it look like you have prepared for the audition. :wink: Then they tested me as the plant with a few seymors...and did the common "count to ten" puppetry test