Anyone remember that cryptic Sesame movie 'Don't Eat The Pictures'?

beaker

Reaction score
I'm surprised noone has ever mentioned this on MC...but does anyone remember that very cryptic mid 80's Sesame Street movie
"Don't Eat The Pictures"? I almost thought I had just dreamt that til I saw it was listed on amazon.com

It was that very strange film where the Sesame Street gang gets locked in a New York Metropolitian art museum, with some bumbling guards and a sultan kid.

...eh, or maybe I am really am nuts...

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We've talked about this quite a few times. This is a nice piece (even though it's a little long). Lots of original songs and some fun moments with the characters.

If you have seen it, what were some of your favorite moments?

sstVideo

Reaction score
Please Don't Eat the Pictures

For those planning on visiting New York, the video is still on Sale at the Metropolitan Museum gift shop....I think its in its 10th or more pressing by now.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Re: Please Don't Eat the Pictures

Originally posted by sstVideo
For those planning on visiting New York, the video is still on Sale at the Metropolitan Museum gift shop....I think its in its 10th or more pressing by now.
Wow, that's awesome! I got my copy on eBay about a year ago and it replaced my taped-from-TV copy. The Met should issue it on DVD!

"Catch you later Max."

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember that cryptic Sesame movie from the mid-80's named "Don't Eat the Pictures"? Do I?!? As for one of my favorite scenes, it has to be from the very end of the movie. Bob, proud that Cookie Monster has shown such restraint in not eating any pictures inside the museum (hence the movie's title), he decides to reward Cookie by letting him have anything he wants from a hot dog cart outside the museum's steps. Cookie, who's been starving all night, thanks Bob and announces that he'd like to eat...
...the hot dog cart itself!!

Manda:-D

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, weren't Big Bird & Snuffy trying to help a little girl (or boy) by solving some sort of ancient riddle.....And when they solved it, he/she became a star in the sky? Because she was like, millions of years old, & couldn't be w/her family? Something like that......Or am I confused? Seemed awfully odd for Sesame Street....

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that was the core story of the movie's plot. Big Bird and Snuffy helped a young Egyptian prince join his parents in the heavens. This was before Snuffy was accepted as real by anyone else, so it made sense to have his appearance occur during the night when Big Bird could leave the rest of the gang and wander throughout the museum. Also, the prince had an invisible cat as a pet that popped up here and there in their nighttime romp. They had to solve a riddle by midnight, when the young prince had to present himself before Osiris for the prince's judgment. After the riddle was solved, they had to weigh the prince's heart. Big Bird donated one of his feathers for such a test, and afterwards, the prince ascended the stairs to the heavens where he became a star like his parents according to Egyptian belief.
Hope this helps.

Gonzo

Reaction score
There are a lot of nice MOMENTS in this, but it is a bit long, and I think a big part of that feeling is that it took place at night, and the characters were fighting falling asleep...that just made me want to lie down...

and take...

a little...

naaaaaapzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But I'll do anything for Cookie Monster, Bert, Ernie, Oscar and the Count.

That Egyptian kid was freaky. I was glad when he was reunited with his mommy and daddy. At least then I knew he was really dead. Or reincarnated. Whatever.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
Dont Eat The Pictures was like the Clifford's Nightmare Cosby episode...one of those very strange surreal Muppet things that make ya wonder if you just dreamed this, or did they actually air it?

Comical_DrBob

Reaction score
I'd never heard of the movie until reading this post recenlty but about a week ago I saw it in a video store I was temted to rent it out but was a little embarrased too so I didn't.