Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Yep, Inglourious Basterds is a hit. That must be healthy for the Weinsteins. Good to hear!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
We have an update from Cory.

The certain studio that has just released a movie about killing Nazis is now very happy, since said movie totally "scalped" at the box office (sorry). And while said studio is interested in moving ahead on Fraggle Rock, they have also been entertaining interest from other parties who want to come aboard to co-finance. These other parties are entities that make big, big movies. These parties would not only give me the budget I need to make this picture, but would market the poop out of it. Armed with some pretty tasty production art (so cool, I wish I could show you) and storyboards, I have had some great meetings with these entities and will continue to meet with more. We are on the CUSP, people. I know this boy has cried wolf for months, but it's true. The cusp!

And I apologize to the few Fraggle fans who just get ****** off by these empty reports with no identifiable progress. But the progress is real. It's just very hard to put into words why this takes so long and to describe all of the hoops I've had to jump through to move towards production.

What else... I've got my dream lead actor saying he is IN. That's good. I've got a major music talent saying that they want to write songs. I've cut three storyboard sequences to temp dialogue and music. I've tweaked the script again to make it tighter and more emotional and just turned that in to the aforementioned Nazi-scalping studio. Still very excited about the script and what you guys will think of it.
This is great news! :excited:

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
That is great news indeed. More money means more effort and better production standards. And bigger marketing will hopefully lead to merchandise as well as promotionals, something previously unaddressed.

Awesome.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a weird hunch that HIT might be one of these "other parties"? I know Henson and HIT are done distribution-wise, but I can't help but wonder...

Erine81981

Reaction score
WHOOOOOOOO! Fraggle Rock the Moive. Can't wait to see some of the stuff. This'll make me even more happier then i am right now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The certain studio that has just released a movie about killing Nazis is now very happy, since said movie totally "scalped" at the box office (sorry). And while said studio is interested in moving ahead on Fraggle Rock, they have also been entertaining interest from other parties who want to come aboard to co-finance. These other parties are entities that make big, big movies. These parties would not only give me the budget I need to make this picture, but would market the poop out of it. Armed with some pretty tasty production art (so cool, I wish I could show you) and storyboards, I have had some great meetings with these entities and will continue to meet with more. We are on the CUSP, people. I know this boy has cried wolf for months, but it's true. The cusp!

And I apologize to the few Fraggle fans who just get ****** off by these empty reports with no identifiable progress. But the progress is real. It's just very hard to put into words why this takes so long and to describe all of the hoops I've had to jump through to move towards production.
Corey.. if you're reading, this is why you're the bees knees to us! :smile:

I wouldn't be surprised or in any way upset if a company co-produces the film. Reservoir Jews...errr...Inglorious Basterds was co-produced by Universal (and it's one of the best movies I've seen in some time... just saw it today... brilliant stuff). And that gave it a real push... well, as much push as you'd need with a Quentin Tarantino picture...

I admit, I was really worried for awhile... but looks like things are happening. Can't wait.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
We're one step closer... maybe.

Just a quick update: Still taking meetings with outside parties who may finance the film. These meetings usually involve people from Weinstein Company, Jim Henson Company, and my company, all sitting around a table big enough to play hockey on, at which point I pull out lots of artwork and talk my butt off for about twenty minutes while the smiling studio exec nods.

Just had another good meeting last Monday. Friends always ask, "How'd the meeting go?" Here's the thing: they're all good meetings. I take good meetings. It's one of my strengths. Everyone is always ecstatic and laughs at my jokes and loves Fraggles and tells me I was born to make this movie and they'd love to be in business. But good meetings don't really mean much. I know because I've had YEARS of "good meetings," but I have yet to become Peter Jackson.

I've heard a little chit-chat online about Henson dragging their feet and holding up the movie. Let me be clear: Henson is not holding up the movie. They are "all systems go." The holdup is financing and putting together studio partners in this economy.

Meanwhile, "Marmaduke: The Movie" is in production. Sigh.

However, while I am so very, very tired of the way this town does business, I remain optimistic. And I'll let you know if I hear anything else.
So will this movie happen? Yes, I'm not doubting it. But it's still going to be a while.