Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
As much as I hate Comcast, I'm actually thinking that Universal could be a good fit for the Fraggles. They need some good films lately and they like family fare. This could really be a feather in their cap and frog knows they promote the heck out of their movies. :coy:
This. Universal would be a great spot for the Fraggles right now. They could probably take this movie somewhat far, at least farther than Weinstein. And not to mention having the Fraggles as meetable characters in the theme parks... :excited:

Daffney

Reaction score
I don't think Universal would be a good choice for the Fraggle movie. You'd have a better chance if Lionsgate did it.

BTW, I found out that You Know Who pulled the release date of Apollo 18 back to this year, as a late summer blockbuster. :attitude:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have yet to see the first one, but it clearly seems the problem WAS the fact that they had too many cooks spoiling the broth. I know Corey was kinda upset (or at least miffed) that certain things were pulled out of the script. I found the ending to be kinda anti-climactic... but I gotta tell you... when the Granny jumped through the laser field and DIDN'T fart like in the previews, I almost gave the film a standing ovation.

Only things that really bugged me were the obviously added in after last minute movie reference dialogue, the very limp beginning, and the fact the CGI was pretty much TV show quality. other than that, I enjoyed it for the most part. But the movie had me laughing at the GOOD parts, especially at the wolf and Twitchy. Can't say I really cracked much of a smile when I made the dumb mistake to see the Yogi Bear film. Well, okay, I smiled when they played Weird Al's "Lasagna" for no apparent reason.

I agree, how this movie was handled isn't a good sign for the Fraggle Film. They sat on this film for over a year, taking it from a cushy January/February slot (same reason why that soulless Gnome thing kept getting good B.O., especially later), they basically just dumped the film out (almost as a court ordered contractual obligation) at the end of April... even the previews before the film were the unspectacular tween films based off of kids books type movies. Well, except for Pooh, but that trailer's been out a while now. Heck, even Scream 4 wasn't promoted all that well.

Daffney

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the poor performance of Hoodwinked Too will get the Weinslimes off the Fraggle film, but I'm sensing it will.

Oh, and they are finding an excuse to cook up Scr5am.

Daffney

Reaction score
Hate to double post but Cory Edwards had some news we missed:

Talking about working hard to develop monstrously big ideas for feature films, what’s the situation with the Fraggle Rock movie you were writing for the Weinstein Company?
Well, I had heard for months now that it’s all but dead. But I have heard recently that it’s not even with the Weinstein Company anymore. They’ve let that option go. Which means that it’s up to the Jim Henson Company, what they want to do with it. My deal was with the Weinstein Company, so we’ll see if anybody wants to make a deal with me to direct again. I wrote a script that the Weinstein Company owns, so in a way I’m disappointed that that project didn’t happen. But as I’ve said on my blog, I think we all need to remember that it’s also good that a bad movie didn’t happen. If the elements weren’t right, and the studio wasn’t onboard with my vision, then I’m happy that it didn’t go forward, because it could have been a disaster and fans would have been angry. So my answer is that it’s in a deep, deep coma and it sounds like it’s up to the Jim Henson Company how they want to proceed. I know they like me and I love the Fraggles, so we’ll see.
Oh, sure, now the Weinsteins jump ship. Looks like the bombing of Hoodwinked Too had nothing to do with the let off.

Well, they cared more on Wes Craven Phones it It, and they can go ahead with Robert Rodriguez Runs Out of Ideas.

Now Henson can look for a new partner, if they ever decide to do so that is.:smirk:

TSSD

Reaction score
Hate to double post but Cory Edwards had some news we missed:

Oh, sure, now the Weinsteins jump ship. Looks like the bombing of Hoodwinked Too had nothing to do with the let off.

Well, they cared more on Wes Craven Phones it It, and they can go ahead with Robert Rodriguez Runs Out of Ideas.

Now Henson can look for a new partner, if they ever decide to do so that is.:smirk:
IMO, this is great news. Now Henson can find a partner that actually wants to do it, instead of being stuck with Weinstein.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My deal was with the Weinstein Company, so we’ll see if anybody wants to make a deal with me to direct again. I wrote a script that the Weinstein Company owns, so in a way I’m disappointed that that project didn’t happen. But as I’ve said on my blog, I think we all need to remember that it’s also good that a bad movie didn’t happen. If the elements weren’t right, and the studio wasn’t onboard with my vision, then I’m happy that it didn’t go forward, because it could have been a disaster and fans would have been angry. So my answer is that it’s in a deep, deep coma and it sounds like it’s up to the Jim Henson Company how they want to proceed. I know they like me and I love the Fraggles, so we’ll see.
I'm glad they're gone, but I'm NOT glad that they're sitting on a script for a bunch of characters they don't own and don't want to make a movie with.

I still hope Henson goes through with this, gets Cory or someone who has a similar passion, and finds a partner hungry to do the film. Henson does want to bring the characters back in some form, and a movie could work, if they can get a GOOD script and find a good, strong partner. I've said it a million and a half times by now, Dinosaur Train is a good show, I'm glad it's successful... but in no way should an entertainment company that's legacy is in pupetterring have a Singapore CGI animated show with Canadian Voice actors instead of its own regular puppeteers be the tent pole franchise. It's up to Henson to take the last shred of Muppet they have, put it out there, and make it their personal upfronts. Their Mickey Mouse.

So far, with franchises like Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, and yes, FR, they only stepped in with comic books, and they seem to have gotten a pretty good response. The Dark Crystal Free Comic book ran out before I could get to any comic store, and I left fairly early. I see all this weird Fraggle Stuff at Spencers, so they really want to bring the characters back.

Still, let's get that Doozer cartoon out there first.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
From "The Sun"
The Scissor Sisters pen tunes for Fraggle Rock
THE SCISSOR SISTERS have always been dedicated to the darkest, most debauched corners of clubland.

But their latest project is much more child-friendly.

JAKE SHEARS and his gang are penning tunes for a big-screen version of the classic Eighties ITV show Fraggle Rock, which starred Red Fraggle.

During episodes, the JIM HENSON puppets - and human character Doc (with canine sidekick Sprocket) - weren't afraid to burst into song for reasons that were never made entirely clear.

The opportunity should give the shy New York creatures the shot in the arm their career needs.

They've never lived up to the runaway success of their 2004 debut album - imaginatively titled Scissor Sisters - which soared to No1 and sold 3.3million copies.

Source: The Sun

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Saw a mention of that on Facebook. Your article is even funnier. As much as I love Red ... "the star"? Really? And they clearly haven't watched the show. Songs are sung to help keep the Rock alive. Still ... it's weird that we're hearing about the music BEFORE hearing the deal with what's going on with the movie after the Weinstein disaster.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Starred doesn't usually mean THE Star...

but really... I'm not taking any stock in anything.

Either this is an OLD report that just surfaced (Weinstine dropped the FR movie relatively recently)... something the entertainment news media is famous for (all the reports of The Muppets movie released to magazines either print or online have been stuff we already knew) OR this could be some weird random report that nothing will come out of.

I mean it... oddly enough, there's more of a chance that this movie will happen without the dead weight of a mismanaged studio, but that's still a slight chance. I mean, for this movie to get going Henson first needs to find another business partner, and (since the script and director were both part of the Weinstine deal) they need a NEW script and a new Director. I wish somehow Henson would buy the script back out from under them. Cory's getting a bad reputation no thanks to how much Weinstine screwed up Hoodwinked 2 with new writers. I don't think that's fair at all.