Schlike Muppet PVC's Question

velvet

Reaction score
HI I have a full set of muppet from 1976 they cast in rubberised plastic I think that they were made in Germany and have the name Schielch on the bottom.

Does anyone know how much they are worth ? Any clues welcomed

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
That would probably be "Schleich", right? ...

They were indeed made next door to me here, in Germany. There should be 13 figures in your set: Sweetums, Zoot, Animal, Scooter, Rowlf, Miss Piggy, Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, the Swedish Chef, Waldorf, Statler and finally Sam the Eagle.

When you want to determine prices you have to know that the individual figures have different values because some are just a tad more rare than the others.

Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Rowlf and Animal seem to be the most common. I see them going at prices between 2 to 5 EUR over here, depending on their condition. Two EUR would be the price of a Fozzie that has been chewed on by your pet dog, 5 EUR the price of the same Fozzie being a spanky mint.

Statler, Waldorf, Kermit and Gonzo are then just a tad less easy to find but get about the same prices. The price difference with the above batch will never be more than half a EUR.

:cool: For some reason the madness about the rarity of the Palisades Zoot has carried over to the PVC's a bit too and you'll find him being priced very expensive from time to time. In reality, he's not all that rare. I'd certainly not pay more than 6 EUR for him.

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
The last 4 are the hardest to lay hands on and it's difficult to say which one is the rarest of them all or even how they "rank". I'll give you my own experience with this, but I'm emphasizing that's just one opinion. I'm sure other people may have had different experiences ...
In my experience they should be put in the next order of "rarity": Scooter :wink:, Sweetums, the Swedish Chef :hungry: and finally Sam the Eagle :attitude:

The rarity may have an effect on the price again, but that's not necessarily always the case: I paid my Scooter just 5 EUR even he's tough to find, Sweetums 7 EUR, Chef 10 EUR and Sam a whopping 12 EUR.

I guess then that a full set should top up the price a bit more still, because ... well, hey ... it's a full set so you don't have to go and chase down individual figurines anymore and that's always worth something too.
I'd say that a full set would be fairly priced 80 EUR if all of the figures are mint, near-mint.

Well, lenghty answer ... I hope it helps.
I'd love to hear reactions to my "price guide" here.

And oh ... sorry, but I just had to use EUR everywhere because that's what I'm used to. You can easily google the current exchange rate to translate that to dollars, aye?

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
Oh! One more thing ... you need to make sure you don't actually have any Polish bootlegs in that set of yours! You can easily recognise them even if they're made of the same kind of plastic and are nearly identical in shape and size to the real ones: they don't carry the Schleich (c) letters and they come in outright bizar color schemes. So no, that orange Gonzo isn't any good ... :big_grin:
Bootlegs have their own price setting, by the way. I never would give a cent for a bootleg myself, but other people seem to do.

velvet

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. They are all genuine and in good condition so they should be worth a bit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wish these guys would get the license to rerelease these with new paint jobs. i absolutely love the stuff they've done with the Smurfs. Especially the new Happy Smurf Day anniversary sets.

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
Heheheh ... did you know the Smurfs are by origin ... Belgian?

The Smurfs never really have been away from Schleich. The Muppets ... now there's another story.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heheheh ... did you know the Smurfs are by origin ... Belgian?
Oh, of course I know. And if you look for a nice indie toy retailor or weird gift shop, you can buy the Smurf figures in the US. Imagine the same treatment with Muppet figure rereleases.

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
Well ... to be honest, I can't complain too hard about the availability of Muppets figures over here. I then mean the vintage PVC's, cuz' the Palisades figures never ever showed up here.
Of course you can't get them new, but they're abundant enough in comic or collectibles shops and then the prices are often not too bad either. The same goes for Smurfs, even if I think that a lot of them have left for destinations outside Belgium in the meantime ... :smile: