Performing with a character in front of the puppeter

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I perform Muley at events around town, and I keep him more out front than where I am. I've done some videos where Muley and I interact, but in public we hardly interact together. I wear whatever at those events and it's never caused a problem. I usually am looking away from everything he's doing (keeping watch through peripheral vision so he can properly react) and by my "not being a part of the action going on," folks ignore me and pay attention to the mule.

However, if we ever do something big on stage again I will be in black there and spotlights on him.

The Muppets, which we're used to seeing on TV from their waists up, have an advantage over the rest of us because we're used to seeing them and their performers aren't there anymore. The rest of us have to completely rely on skill of performance to make us disappear behind our lesser known characters.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't normally post here, but that is an interesting question! About wearing black, is it possible that would actually attract attention because it's not typical dress? I could be totally wrong, lol, just curious to hear opinions. :smile:
I think that is like an ancient Japaneses style of puppetry. But yous have to be against an all black background like Doing The pigeon. But nowadays they were a special green suit again a green screen and other prop like things that are the same shade of green. But it would be a bad idea if you can actually see the performer, though.

Jinx

Reaction score
You're referring to Bunraku, and no, there is no black background. Each character is manipulated by multiple performers, and the "apprentices" do wear black, but the "master" puppeteers are in elaborate and colorful costumes.

The greenscreen technique you mention is only applicable in cinematic situations. The question at hand is in regard to live public appearances.

But why do you feel it is it bad if you can see the performer?

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
It is sad however, as I have read in many forums, that much of the success of a production like Avenue Q, in England for example, at least to attract certain age ranges in the audience, relies on the physical appeal of the puppeteers rather than their skills.
The English performers wear black. I'm confused, what do you mean by the physical appeal of the puppeteers?

The main gimmick for getting the young audiences into Q in London has been the very cheap ticketing policy.

Maybe they should get some comb overs!

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1-PwZltH8E

Not even Kermit can distract from that sweater.
LOL. that sweater does look kind of distracting doesn't it:big_grin:

I'm confused, what do you mean by the physical appeal of the puppeteers?
I think they mean how they look.

I have performed Dumb Dog while i can be seen, and everyone usally pays attention to him more than me. because as Dumb Dog once put it:
"Who would you rather look at? The smart wonderful and witty dog, or this guy behind me?"

Jinx

Reaction score
Because this is not Bunraku, this is a style known among magicians as "Black Art". There are certainly similarities in manipulation styles, but the Japanese form you alluded to in your original post (Bunraku) does not rely on the specialized lighting and setting.

Bunraku is performed in full stage lighting. The black-clad performers are in full view, as are the brightly-dressed and hoodless master performers.

Again referring to the original post, the question about performing in full view is in regards to personal appearances, rather than a theatrical setting.