Too old for Sesame Street

WaiterGrover

Reaction score
Honestly speaking? I blame the Purple Doofy One for much of the progression of children's programming; however, it's worth asking- wouldn't there eventually be the equivalent thereof, as more and more people with less ideals than greed seized upon the idea? It always seems that for every person willing to do things the "right" way, there's at least 3 more willing to exploit the premise for personal gain... To me, it's as if Cooney had the brilliant idea of selling letters and numbers in the same way as toothpaste or candy bars...
and eventually Madison Ave. eroded the premise enough to require worrying about merchandising, for the survival of the show...
Can you tell I'm not an outrageous fan of "Disney+Henson"?
Ah well. The present continues to change w/ every passing second. Just consider me cranky but resigned, (but never too old for Sesame Street)...:super:

FrogInTheGlen

Reaction score
I had a friend make fun of me for watching it still at age 6, so that kind of put me off SS. I had three younger siblings, though, so it was still on in my house all the time!

WAYMOND

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of SS. However, I do think the earlier seasons are much more interesting than the more recent ones. For some reason, I just can't enjoy watching the Elmo segment on SS. My son loves Elmo, so we watch his repeatedly. I much prefer cookie monster, Bert and Ernie, Oscar and Big Bird!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of SS. However, I do think the earlier seasons are much more interesting than the more recent ones. For some reason, I just can't enjoy watching the Elmo segment on SS. My son loves Elmo, so we watch his repeatedly. I much prefer cookie monster, Bert and Ernie, Oscar and Big Bird!
Yeah! He does connect with that age group he is in and very well I might add...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Yeah! He does connect with that age group he is in and very well I might add...
Indeed. As people themselves have changed & so have their perceptions, so too have the characters on the Street.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Right and there's no reason for them to be only (or at least mainly) on the web as opposed to the show.
I see what you are saying. But I honestly am glad they are making some effort to put these clips out there. Plus they were put up on their site for bother kids and parents alike to both view.:cool:

Sorry, but the could only wanted the season 39 thread to stay on topic and I wasn't exactly sure of the appropriate place to posts this response.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I watch an awful lot of childrens' television, but if it is written well it can be VERY amusing. I mean, some of the song parodies on SS are very clever indeed. I don't think you can be too old, because it was written to be enjoyed by all. On more than one occasion I have encountered some awkward and hilarious double entendres on "The Hoobs", and that puts it at a stage where a television show aimed at the 2-6 age group can get such a cult following. Heck, Spongebob was so well writen with sublte innuendo and in-jokes they put it on MTV. But then again Spongebob is not educational. I don't think you can be too old,I think some people are just to simple to understand the comedy of SS. Though it beats me why teen girls are so obessed with "the red menace".

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I'd rather have Prairie Dawn, if I had to choose from among the younger characters (or Big Bird). If I have to listen to Elmo's high-pitched squeal, I'd rather it be coming from Baby Sinclair.

Anyway, I don't feel I'm too old for SS ... I feel that SS (like other franchises) stopped catering to me. Kids may be powerful spenders ... but only because the adults give them money. We should get a little fun out of something too.