Bobo the Bear Replica help?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Ive decided to try and make my next puppet and I'd like to go all out and make a Bobo the Bear replica (he's by far my favorite muppet!). I was hoping the puppeteers on here might be able to point me in the right direction for the best way to construct his body. It looks like it would be quite heavy - do you think they use foam for the entire thing? Even the arms look like they have definiition. Maybe a "fat suit"? Any ideas would be great!

Thanks for the help!
Mort

robinthecrow

Reaction score
I can sort of answer this one. I queried this before and I believe ravagefrackle helped me with this one (do correct me if I'm wrong) when I was constructing a polar bear puppet in the same fashion.

Bobo's body is actually constructed in layers. He has ridges of foam rings around the body which are strung together somehow to form a foam cage, as it were.

The foam cage then has the body material/fur draped over it. I do believe Bill Barretta has a shoulder mount that supports the puppet above his head.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! A picture would be amazing! Bobo seems to have a detailed chest sculpt, so I'd be interested in seeing how they constructed the rings. I really appreciate the help.

Mort

robinthecrow

Reaction score
heh. look at me resurrecting an old thread by someone who hasn't posted since!

well i did some investigating and the picture im talking about, that ravagefrackle mentioned to me i believe, is in the Of Muppets and Men book and is a picture of a large human bird puppet from the Muppet Show in the construction stage.

i'll try and scan it. unless its online.

Reaction score
Hey! I may not have posted since, but those email notices sure help :smile:

I'd love to see the pic if you have a chance to scan it.

robinthecrow

Reaction score
haha. email notifications! and there's me thinking people switched them off like me :stick_out_tongue:

and no, that wasn't what I was talking about, christopher finch released a book in the 70s called 'Of Muppets and Men' with lots and lots of construction images in the workshop etc. again, I'll pull the scanner out and scan it, sorry its taken almost a year! I don't visit this forum often and easily forget.

but otherwise, that documentary is a wealth of interesting and brilliant information about the Muppets and gives an insight into their magic.

have you got any further with making you replica?

Blink

Reaction score
Bobo's body is actually constructed in layers. He has ridges of foam rings around the body which are strung together somehow to form a foam cage, as it were.
You can achieve the same effect using plastic boning for dressmaking to make a cage for the shape. There are lots of ways to do it, and foam stips would work as well. The idea is to make the large puppet as light as possible. The less stuff under the fabric to make the desired shape the better.

Best of luck.

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Thanks Blink - thats a better explanation and reference than waiting for me to scan a picture! :stick_out_tongue: