How to build SAFE puppets for kids?

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Hey there folks,

I'm in between projects right now and I'm thinking about building a series of simple puppets for children and selling them to some local toy stores in my area. I have never built anything that needs to be "kid proof" and "kid safe" before (actor proof, yes) so I wanted to post here to see if anyone has any advice or help with ways and materials that are safe to turn into children's puppets. I'm looking to make some little monster heads to sell, and maybe some simple glove or hand puppets.

Marc

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
OK, lemme narrow things down a bit.

As an add on to my last post about kid's puppets for sale, here's what I'm interested in specificly:

-Material and fabric that withstand hard play and abuse and possible washing (be that in a machine, or with a damp cloth).

-Sewing or ways of construction that won't come undone or fall apart after sessions of play time and storage.

-Any glues or material that are safety risks for children, due to toxicity from constant exposure.

Thanks alot.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Lay off the lead paint! Tho yummy... and i can go for some chips right about now... just talkin about em... yum

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I am not sure of the legalities, but you definitely need to check in to federal and state regulations that cover the sale of toys. Most puppet builders sell puppets as "Not a Toy" because of the legal issues involved.

guppy24

Reaction score
Looking for the same thing

Hi! I have been looking for those rules and regulations too. I am wanting to build a puppet from the Project Puppet Patterns for my little niece (6 months) but I am wanting to know what kind of fabric best to use, what kind of glue for the eyes and mouth pieces, what kind of foam, whether or not I can use felt pupils or should paint them on, if so what kind of paint best to use, etc...
Thanks!

Melonpool

Reaction score
I would avoid using glue for the eyes and features for someone that young. I also wouldn't put on arm rods.

As far as the eyes go, I would think the doll-post type would be the most secure. Supposedly, once tightened, they aren't supposed to come off. I think that's what they used on the old Fisher Price Kermit the Frogs -- or at least something similar.

I think something like this for someone that age might not be the best move. I think it's a great thing for you or her parents to use with your niece, but someone under 3 or 4 wouldn't have any idea what to do with a puppet. Maybe you could modify the pattern to make some kind of stuffed doll, though.

Just my two cents. :wink:

Jinx

Reaction score
Steve-

Yeah, the old Fischer-Price Kermits did use the post style eyes, but slightly different variations for the stiffed Kermit and the puppet one.

The Stuffed Kermit had the standard post/locking washer mechanism, whereas the puppet eye had a shorter post, and the lock was kind of a round-headed lock nut. It was made of smooth metal with no sharp edges.

I "converted" my sister's plush Kermit into a puppet about 28 years ago... I remember dragging the back of my hand against those posts to put the puppet on. I also had to wedge them between my fingers while manipulating him. Not terribly pleasant. But it was worth it to have a Kermit puppet with LEGS! :smile:

On the whole, I think that there are so many safety concerns that it may not be worth pursuing. All it take is one litigious parent...

guppy24

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I usually use foam balls for the eyes, and glue felt circles on them for pupils. So I had thought about painting those on instead. You are right, the eyes with the washers are safer, but I can only find those in a large size, and I think that the plastic when heavy could also hurt if they start swinging it around?

I don't know.. I guess what I will do, is sow on as much as possible, including the felt mouth pieces (I usually glue them). Sow eyelids over the foam balls, so there is less chance of them getting loose. The only thing I would worry about is the type of foam- I don't want it to get crumbly, and the type of glue for the eyes and the foam/mouthplate. The strongest non-toxic hot glue maybe? And then tell the parents not to leave them alone with the doll, just put it up on a shelf?

Redsonga

Reaction score
If she is six months old I think it is just better to give her a stuffed Kermit or something :\. Any little one under three years old really wouldn't 'get' playing with a puppet herself yet IMHO, and even around two or three I think a simple sock puppet would be better :smile:...