President Obama!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The term marriage has actually been co-opted by popular extremist groups in this country as primarily a Christian brand name. However, these groups even frown on civil unions. It was said that about half of the Republicans at the 2008 National Convention believed in marriage and/or civil unions for gay people so I think the tide is changing. It is often thought that the ones who shout the loudest have the largest numbers, but sometimes they're just loud.
It important to keep in mind not every religous person feels the same way on the topic. The media just likes concentrating on certain groups who are vocal, as you say. Of course, I think people are allowed to have their own opinions.

I do say though that the concept of marriage was around before Jesus, probably before the Old Testament. It's not a purely religious concept and maybe shouldn't just be held down that way.

I still see it as a disgrace how lightly marriage is taken in this country. I do wonder how much Obama is going to help that along. I doubt much in this first term. But we can rest assured he will not allow some sort of nationwide prop 8.
I could be wrong but I seem to remember Obama wasn't going out of his way to support gay marriage. The major Democratic candidates are often very hesitant to give their full support. (Much like how you can't reply on Republicans to be pro life, heh).

Teheheman

Reaction score
I try not to pry into politics on forums, I usually save that for my blogs, but here I gotta say that I think that we are going in the wrong direction with the new president that we have. I just don't see how you can have the rich pay everything and the little guy not get screwed in the end. Jobs are going overseas cause companies don't pay as much over there in taxes or in salaries as they do here and now you wanna get them to pay MORE money? Either that's gonna get rid of a lot more jobs, or that's gonna raise prices even more. That's what worries me. Now, I'm gonna leave this thread now because I'm scared that this post might make this thread close down and have some people at my house with pitch forks and torches.

Daniel

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, it appears a lot of posts have been deleted from this thread. I have addressed it with the moderators. :mad: <---angry piggy face

Kiki

Reaction score
YAY! Chicken parma fo' Obama! :excited:
It's time for a change, and it's going to be interesting to see how he will deal with important issues such as poverty, especially in the almost excusively-black areas. It's a bit step for America, but I think the change is going to be for the better, not the worse. At least he doesn't just care about oil... :rolleyes:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yup, this whole economy thing can be solved if people just bought more Muppets stuff!
You know thinking about that more, and I think that could really work and help out. Not just for the economy but for the Muppets as well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm glad Obama isn't obsessed with oil, for sure! I'm concerned though that he might be like Jimmy Carter, too soft on foreign policy which led to the Iran hostage crisis. But all we can do is wait. In the end, he probably won't be any worse than anyone else we've had, hehe.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Okay folks, listen up: I have undeleted a pile of posts. I did this on my own. It is my opinion that we can have a mature and respectful discussion on current events. We will disagree. Many of us feel passionately about our views for very significant and personal reasons. I expect EVERYONE to remember that we all have a right to our individual opinions. Expressing those opinions is fine so long as it is done in a way that is respectful and does not attack or belittle those who disagree.

This thread does not belong to one side or one view. Many of us are excited about President-Elect Obama. Many of us are not. The same goes for Prop 8 and gay marriage. These are topical, world-altering events and if we are going to have OT discussions on MC we can't ignore something as significant as a presidential election, much less the election of the first African American president. So, continue the discussion just keep it civil.

Thank you.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
What is amazing about last night, for me, is that Americans took to the streets in celebration. All across the country people spontaneously gathered-- they filled Pennsylvania Avenue (which hasn't happened after any other presidential election in my lifetime-- not even Reagan's decisive wins). And they did it peacefully! Can anyone think of a time when all across the country people took to the streets in celebration since WWII? (riots and violence don't count here and individual cities celebrating a sports victory aren't national events) I think this was the first time in 64 years that we've seen that. Amazing. That gives me hope for Americans coming together.
I was really impressed by this too! I certainly don't recall this much excitement over an election ever. I watched my wife cry with joy last night, and I thought; "Wow, this really is history in the making."

On a different topic - I am very disappointed in Prop 8 passing in California.
I'm upset about this too. My views about this topic have changed completely over the last two years, and I'm glad they have. I have hope that, in time, this too will come to be. We're all different and that's what makes us so special, and I understand how things that we don't understand can be scary, and I believe that's what this really is at the core: fear.

But if this election has proven anything, it's that we are a progressive nation, and I am very hopeful. I am just thrilled that I will see a black man as the president of the US in my lifetime.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But if this election has proven anything, it's that we are a progressive nation, and I am very hopeful. I am just thrilled that I will see a black man as the president of the US in my lifetime.
I think this shows that while there is still racism in the country, that the majority of people aren't as hostile as I think is often assumed. :smile:

Now if I can find a candidate I'm completely cool with voting for, that shares most of my values and concerns about the country, that will be my favorite day. :wink:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
No politician will ever be perfect. I know that, but it is still exciting!