Your Thoughts: The Christmas Toy DVD

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Greg, do you have any info with the issue on the cut Kermit scenes for The Christmas Toy? Did the Hensons even try to get permission for the scenes or was there 0 effort toward it?

As for me personally buying these DVD's, I'm pretty sure I want Emmet under the tree this year. :big_grin: But Christmas Toy I'll hold off on, if I get it fine but I won't really be mad if I never get the DVD.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I saw a copy of The Christmas Toy DVD at the store the other day, when I came back later it was gone (and I checked lol). So hopefully the means someone bought it, hehe. I would definitely encourage people who have never seen it before or don't have a VHS to purchase it. Even without Kermit, it's a treasure. :smile:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Well me and my BEST FRIEND (a girl and she has a CUTE lil baby girl) watched this the other day and she asked me "Stevie...where the H E L L's kermit? Dosent he ride a bike or somthing on here?" I told her the story how disney told henson/hit! that they didnt alow kermit in here and he had to be cut. So i popped in my old 96 VHS copy the one disney released when they had "Jim Henson Video" line back then..I guess when her and her sis were lil her mom use to pop it in at christmas time. And she doesnt have it so ...the other day I was in walmart and I bought the EMMET dvd for her for christmas. So its going to be her present! :smile:

Rugby

Reaction score
I totally agree with frogboy on this one. I was going to come here and slam HIT for the lack of Kermit in the special, but after reading one of the posts here, it's hard to be mad at them when it's really not their fault. I appreciate that they at least finally put what they could on DVD. I'd still like to try to transfer my VHS to DVD and have the Kermit scenes intact. But this will do for now. It is disappointing that the DVD lacks a menu though. That's practically unforgivable.

And BOOOOO to greedy Disney for glomming up the muppets and ruining everything Kermit has been in. And why is it that NBC can get Muppets specials when ABC and Disney are affilliated? Aren't they "renting out their characters to the competition"?

Disney, HIT, and the fans lose when fans have to put together their own DVD because of corporate greed. Quit ruining classics!

Rugby

Reaction score
Shouldn't this thread be in the Muppet Merchandise forum? :confused:

P15JOS

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if The Christmas Toy is available on DVD in the UK or if the DVD released in the US is region 2 compatible?

I LOVE The Christmas Toy and would really like to replace my VHS......

Many thanks :0)

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if The Christmas Toy is available on DVD in the UK or if the DVD released in the US is region 2 compatible?

I LOVE The Christmas Toy and would really like to replace my VHS......

Many thanks :0)
In the UK, The Christmas Toy was released uncut as a bonus feature on the Muppet Family Christmas DVD. Look around the UK Amazon and eBay, you'll probably find it for a good price.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
I had forgotten about Kermit, so I guess his exclusion didn't strike me at first.

However, the only thing I'm disgruntled with is just the DVD itself. It is of incredibly low value, with no bonus features and pretty much no "effort" on display. They slapped the video on and repackaged it. Whoopie! Thanks for the hard work HIT! And the inability to skip the "dancing blocks" logo, the Lionsgate Logo, and all the warnings leading up to what we actually want to watch, which was slightly gutted to begin with. And with no menus. . . this just leads up to a stellar release.

Wow. . .

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, it is a bit disapointing for hardcore fans, but for regular parents buying it for their kids who have never seen it, I'm glad it's now available. :smile:

And remember, it wasn't too long ago that we were content for VHSs to go straight to the show without menus. How times change when it comes to technology. :wink: