Anybody build a Beaker?

larz

Reaction score
I'm interested in building myself a Beaker and was wondering if anyone else has made one or something similar. This is just for me - he's always been one of my favorites.

Jut curious if anyone has suggestions or tips...

muppetfan89

Reaction score
not sure, but I've always been curious how the mouth piece in Beaker works, becuase his mouth goes in a upward motion, and not straight, I would if Richard Hunt had to also put his hand in an upward position.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Oh gosh, when Dave Goelz was at the thing giving the thing (wait for it..it will come to me), he talked about how beeker worked. he also talked about how to do the voice, in that Richard Hunt didn't expel the noise, but rather did it when he was sucking air into his lungs instead.

Ok so for the mouth--i know he told us this one. And I fail. Sorry.

Tour of the Muppet Smithsonian exhibit (I knew it would)

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Ok so I know that he's made of shipping tubes...

I think the mouth was just cut & possibly controlled by a string/elastic mech, but can't remember (BAH Humbug.)

larz

Reaction score
I was thinking that his mouth was like a rod puppet, but wasn't sure. Shipping tube, huh? Wow - I have a few laying around, I think I'll give it a go! Thanks Stacey!

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Haven't done anywork on recreating Beaker... however i'd assume that its done with a a single tube. From that 1 tube, cut a mouth plate out. Add in between any material for a mouth plate, and use your hand to operate.

Honestly he sounds like an easy one to try... but i'm busy with moving and i THINK i may wanna try out gonzo, if i ever run accross the right foam. The stores near me only have green... which i don't think i can dye a purplish-yellow color on well

Lab Rat

Reaction score
i made a Beaker puppet a few years ago i used a cardboard packing tube it worked a treat

larz

Reaction score
Lab Rat - Very cool indeed!

Thanks for the tips everyone - not sure when I'll get started, but this is on my short "to-do" list. I'll post in-progress shots, if anyone is interested.