Mayhem Mini Figures for sale on eBay

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not by a long shot. Modern Playmates is the worst offender, with the ninja turtles line. The reason all the figures out since the movie were based on it was because they were too cheap to do molds for the new show.
Wow! I just took a look at them online and you are right. Those are terrible. The Neca line of Turtles is so beautiful, but the Playmates Ninjas look as if they have some sort of glandular disorder. And the colors are very odd.

beaker

Reaction score
Not by a long shot. Modern Playmates is the worst offender, with the ninja turtles line. The reason all the figures out since the movie were based on it was because they were too cheap to do molds for the new show.
Too true. I hear Imagi Studios was even puzzled as to why Playmates continued to use their studio's TMNT movie art for the current line of figures. TMNT has basically been vanquished from the toy shelves of all major retailer outlets, including Target and Walmart. KayBee is now completely gone(they had some crazy cheap deals in their final days) I liked the TMNT Fast Forward
figure designs/art(hated that incarnation of the show) And cant stand how the TMNT have pupils now.
There will be a "Super Smash Bros" type TMNT multiplayer fighting game for the Wii, a straight to dvd TMNT animated movie by 4kids, and some 25th anniversary TMNT stuff...but other than that, this looks like the last hurrah for the mutants. A shame, as I've been a big fan since the 80's and it's sad to see how poorly handled they've been recently

beaker

Reaction score
Wow! I just took a look at them online and you are right. Those are terrible. The Neca line of Turtles is so beautiful, but the Playmates Ninjas look as if they have some sort of glandular disorder. And the colors are very odd.
I've been seeing those at Suncoast, FYE and some other stores. Pretty snazzy. It's too bad that Mirage felt the need to completely alter the original 1984-1985 art when they rereleased the original issues, but it's cool seeing figures based on the original style.
(I remember the first TMNT merchandise being tiny pewter figures and the RPG game in the mid 80's)

Action Figure Freddy's? Is that the name of the toy store on Market, near the Mcdonalds? I remember a toy shop that had a comic book section that was pretty cool on market. Im happy that here in sacramento we have "Toy Fusion", which is dedicated to retro action figure lines.

turkishproverb

Reaction score
So far only the 1st issue has been rereleased altered. Theres still time for mirage to change their mind, though laird has shown little intention of it. Glad I'm not the only one who agrees on playmates though.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing those at Suncoast, FYE and some other stores. Pretty snazzy. It's too bad that Mirage felt the need to completely alter the original 1984-1985 art when they rereleased the original issues, but it's cool seeing figures based on the original style.
(I remember the first TMNT merchandise being tiny pewter figures and the RPG game in the mid 80's)

Action Figure Freddy's? Is that the name of the toy store on Market, near the Mcdonalds? I remember a toy shop that had a comic book section that was pretty cool on market. Im happy that here in sacramento we have "Toy Fusion", which is dedicated to retro action figure lines.
You're thinking Jeffrey's Toys on Market. AFF is tucked away on Mission Street next to the Mel's Diner and across the street from the Westfield Shopping Center. Also it's down the street from the Metreon, but on the other side of Third Street. We cater to collectors, but have no comics (except some Serenity graphic novels) because it's the owner's attempt at setting the store apart from others.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Too true. I hear Imagi Studios was even puzzled as to why Playmates continued to use their studio's TMNT movie art for the current line of figures.
Simple answer... they don't have to pay for new sculpts, other than some crappy plastic gadgets to slop right onto them. Personally, I wanted them to go back to the 5" 2K3/Fast Forward line, as it would make the toys more affordable (less plastic), but they didn't, and 10 dollar toys are sitting on the shelves.

TMNT has basically been vanquished from the toy shelves of all major retailer outlets, including Target and Walmart. KayBee is now completely gone(they had some crazy cheap deals in their final days) I liked the TMNT Fast Forward
figure designs/art(hated that incarnation of the show) And cant stand how the TMNT have pupils now.
Target still, at least in my area has them.. they seem to have cleared out the Minimutants after Christmas (at the only one I've been to), and they seem to be strongly showing support for the (over priced) 25th anniversary rereleases of the old ones.

And yes, I think that while FF was a poorly managed show the toy line was the best Playmates had done in recent years. The sculpts really looked like they came out of the show, and Splinter wasn't given a terrible cloth robe (like in the first release). But I will say this for Playmates... when the TMNT rebirth started up, they did a good job... much better than Mattel was doing at the time. Their lack of care for the Shonen Jump line of toys (Outside of YuGiOh... blehhh) was a disgrace. The Shaman King Line didn't even sell anywhere. The One Piece line didn't fare all that well itself. I would have killed to have seen BanDai handle the last one, but with the lackluster sale of Ultimate Muscle and Saint Seyia toys (the former, they even went so far as dumping the produced extras on Canadian Wal Marts who put them directly into clearance bins- which is how I got most of my collection- by mail of course), I don't think it would have done all that well.

But I still can't stress how Hasbro went from worst to first in a matter of a couple years. I mean, for a mainstream kiddy toy company. But then again, meh scuplts and all, I like those much better than MacFarline's ego stroking, non-movable statue "action figures" that would shatter into crumbs if you take it out of the package. I was really disappointed by their Simpsons line being Simpsons scenes featuring the same characters... and I was really really disappointed by their lack of an actual Radioactive Man and Fallout Boy figure for yet another Rainier Wolfcastle/ Milhouse movie version.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The McFarlane Simpsons characters didn't look right unless viewing them straight-on. The upper lips on those protruded a little too much and made them look strange at any other angle. I did like the quality of the sculpts and paint aps otherwise, but the lack of articulation was ridiculous.

Still, I'd like to see mildly articulated Muppet figures in that smaller scale. Maybe a few mini scenes too. Let's face it - that's the only way we'd ever get Vet's Hospital figures.

turkishproverb

Reaction score
The McFarlane Simpsons characters didn't look right unless viewing them straight-on. The upper lips on those protruded a little too much and made them look strange at any other angle. I did like the quality of the sculpts and paint aps otherwise, but the lack of articulation was ridiculous.

Still, I'd like to see mildly articulated Muppet figures in that smaller scale. Maybe a few mini scenes too. Let's face it - that's the only way we'd ever get Vet's Hospital figures.
I really wish NECA would get the Muppets license. After the turtle figures I just know they could produce good toys for the gang. Only question would be what scales were needed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really wish NECA would get the Muppets license. After the turtle figures I just know they could produce good toys for the gang. Only question would be what scales were needed.
Yeah.. then we can have one wave every year. :big_grin:

I just want to go back to Muppet PVC's at this point. High quality, high detailed ones... but figurines with no articulation in fixed poses. I want someone to do that with Sesame Street, since action figures are repeatedly out of the question. Plus, I don't wanna see any other toy company saddled with the "Sesame Street Curse."

It's not even just that for me... All they seem to do is the same characters over and over... just the family, specifically Homer. And we don;t see any good random one time characters. Even Playmates did a good job with that. I loved having a Mr. Burns's son that was voiced by Rodney Dangerfield figure.

I have to admit, I like what Kidrobot is doing with the Simpsons, but I don't care for the SD forms they gave everyone. To say nothing of the Blind Boxing.