Puppets and Major Brands

RockerRob

Reaction score
I just remembered a puppet that was in the big time, at least it caught my attention, not that long ago. Sony put out a few commercials featuring "Plato Blue" a blue alien puppet who loved his Sony Walkman mini disc player (totally eclipsed by iPod now) and I thought I'd bring him back to our attention because he is a great example of a really cool puppet used in a high profile international (I would imagine) add campeign for a huge company. We need to do it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Trxpu5jvQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-TlzBAewA&NR=1

Okay, I have to admit that I rememberd him because I sketched up a puppet for my latest project that was subconsciously inspired by this guy so he looks simlar, at least the head shape.

Now to form this in some semblance of a topic: how and when do you think puppets will edge their way back into cool mainstream adult culture, even if it is in a limited compacity?

jacobmaraia

Reaction score
This is something that I've been thinking about for awhile, too. I mean, I love the Muppets, but they don't really have any mainstream competition. Successful puppets = Henson Co.

I think about animation. Disney had competition, so they had to make better movies. And there are a handful of companies making pretty good computer animated films.

I'm hoping that there's a new group out there right now who are going to give it a whirl. (Greg the Bunny tried, but even that revolved around a kid's show). Strong characters who've got hopes, dreams, something to lose.

If I'm' judging by the laughs the finale of Forgetting Sarah Marshall got in the theater -- I love that Van Helsing puppet -- then I think there's a place for more puppets in TV and Movies that we haven't already seen in a million other things.

But this is just my opinion.

And for the record, my current favorite puppets in commericals are the Foster Farms chickens. Shlubby, defrosted, fast-food eating chickens on a permanent road trip just so they can convince the world that they are fresh and fit to be eaten! What a great concept! Gimme that movie! It's so sick and weird ... I mean, it's like a nutty suicide pact the two of them have. It's fantastic!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
The Arizona Coyotes uses a puppet as the team's spokesman. its been an amazing 2-year ad campaign so far.

RockerRob

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE the foster farms chickens! I wish they would make more soon. Stacey, I am a hockey fan and it is so exciting to me to see that Pierre worked out as a spokes puppet and he is still going strong (it's nice to see your two "checking line" creations in it too.).

I want there to be some sort of breakthrough to bring puppets back into the public eye as something legitimate to work with. I wonder if the Screen Actor's Guild does strike, then could puppets take their place? That would be just what we need, not more of this reality show crap! We'll still have the writers, directors, and producers, but all we need is puppets to fill in for the talent. I have a feeling that SAG won't strike, and if they do, it wouldn't be for very long, but anything could happen.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Flat Eric and Levis. They were a great series of little ads. Stylish and, all together, told a story.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
they wereinteresting, but as i recall they did not air in the USA, (i could be wrong , its been a while,)so might be little off our radar.

the wieght watchers one is great very inovative, and Best buy had they Marrionette one, the New Creepy Chester Cheetah ones are well done(puppets a little stiff though)

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
How can any of us overlook NANERPUS!

(Quite possibly the greatest ad ever & the Denny's logo had to go & get in the way! Boo Denny's!)