Feb 4/09 Dark Crystal Sequel news.

bknatchbull

Reaction score
Hello,

As reported on The Muppet Newsflash:

Back in 2005 The Jim Henson Company announced plans to produce "Power of the Dark Crystal," a sequel to Jim Henson's classic 1982 film "The Dark Crystal". Since the initial announcement, fans have been clamoring for any news regarding the development and status of this highly-anticipated production. The film has had its share of pre-production setbacks that have nonetheless slowed the process of producing this ambitious film; however I have been reassured that the company remains as committed as ever to bringing the project to the screen.

The project has undergone several reworkings and overhauls and is finally preparing to move out of pre-production. The film's epic screenplay was recently rewritten by screenwriter Craig Pearce ("Moulin Rouge!", "Romeo + Juliet"), and producer Lisa Henson says that the film now has a "really great script."

The Jim Henson Company is now partnering with Australian production company Omnilab Media to produce their "Dark Crystal" sequel. Henson previously partnered with Omnilab to produce the television series "Farscape" from 1999-2003. The Jim Henson Company is preparing to unveil some more concrete announcements very soon, so a lot more information should be rolling out in the not so distant future.

The movie is not expected to hit theaters until 2011 (so fans still have some waiting to do), however I've been told that things are on track and continuing to move along.

At least the project is going forward. Strange choice for a screenwriter though. But who knows, creditio:scary:nals are good so it looks promising.

Brian

ryan19

Reaction score
i would love to see a tiny bit of action as to what is going on with this film, 2011? wont be that long for us to wait, i mean i would rather wait 2-3years & get a worthwhile film then anything else.

"No,Jen...Heal the Crystal"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Since this will be shot with Omnilab in Australia (like Farscape was) and Craig Pearce penned three of fellow Aussie, Baz Luhrmann's films, I think the choice of screenwriter makes perfect sense in the scheme of this production. I'm just glad this isn't going to be shot in some Burbank studio with Disney backing and farmed out CG effects provided by technicians in India or Singapore. This seems like a tight knit production crew that knows what they’re doing and has a sense of what the picture should be outside of the grasp of the typical Hollywood system. The Dark Crystal is something special and it appears that this crew knows that and are taking the needed time to do it right. This is a great thing. :scary:

JustListen

Reaction score
THEATRES? THEATRES THEATRES THEATRES? SO NO DIRECT DVD RELEASE? :crazy:THANK YOU, SWEET JESUS!:crazy:
HAHA! I am esthatic to hear all this good news, but the direct release rumor was the one thing that bugged the crap out of me and bummed me out quite a bit. Can't wait to see a trailer.

~~~

You look like Snoopy, and it makes me smile! :halo:

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
2011? Ill say it before, Ill say it again... take as long as you want, as long as you get it right...

Wonder what this means for Genndy? Is David Odell still working on this? The fact that they thought they had some script issues and addressed it is very encouraging...

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2009/02/dark-crystal-sequel-update.html

As fans detected, the film was slightly "derailed" in around 2007 and the project has since undergone a 2-year overhaul and re-boot. But it's back on track and finally getting ready to move towards actual production... and (knock on wood) hopefully there won't be any more production setbacks or misfires.

As reported, Craig Pearce has completed a rewrite on the screenplay - which is said to be in really great shape now; and the producers are currently work with Omnilab in Australia to get things ready to go.

However there is some bad news for Tartakovsky fans; as it does not appear that he will be directing the film anymore. I couldn't get any details regarding his current involvement in the project, but the producers were recently looking at various Australian directors for the project.

And a bit of trivia for the fans out there... Before teaming with Craig Pearce for the screenplay, Henson had approached Corey Edwards to work on the rewrite of "Power of the Dark Crystal". A deal never came together for Edwards but his conversations with the studio eventually led him to getting involved as writer/director on the "Fraggle Rock" feature film.

As always, I'll keep you updated as soon as I hear anything more.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What an odd and interesting road. It sure is nice to hear the script is in good shape too. :scary:

JMPrater

Reaction score
Good news all around. So, let's see, I'll be 35 when it premieres, I guess I can handle that :wink:

Interesting that the film is about to move into production with no director announced. I'm imagining all of the props and puppets sitting in the production rooms, waiting to be brought to life.

I am officially excited, AGAIN. I hope when Henson updates again, they do so with more images and a clear story. I'm wondering if the initial story has been scrapped and this is completely new or what?

What will make this film great is the attention to detail, realizing that the magic is to be found, not just in the effects of the film, but the story as well. I hope they do their best to try and replicate the sights and the low tech senses of the first film.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
There is so much to live up to in this film, I can't imagine it really satisfying the 25 year hiatus we've all had, and the hunger for a new film/images from this franchise. It's cool that it is finally moving forward, but man, I seriously at this point have no idea what to expect. The first film is so original. . . I can't imagine them topping it. This is going to be a loooong journey.

JMPrater

Reaction score
I don't think Henson should set out to 'top' the original film, it will just disappoint. Now, if they can equal the film in terms of vision, magic, and pacing, then I'll be satisfied. What I'll be paying attention to is, well, attention to detail, the subtle things that brought the first film to life. I am even hoping they can improve on some things, like Jen's movements. I think Jen was the most stilted of the characters [in terms of performance] and that maybe this time around, he'll seem as natural as Kira.

There are things, as a fan I hope to see, kira using her wings, fizzgig, Aughra, and that texture that will tell our senses that 'we're back on Thra.' I want an entrance into this world that I can believe, as if a beat wasn't skipped in the 25 year gap between films. I certainly don't want to see the original retold, but I want the visual and emotional assurance that the world, recreated, is the same, and we're just watching further adventures.

Am I asking for too much?