Watchmen, 2009 Movie

Erine81981

Reaction score
Me and my friend are going to try and catch it when it comes out. It looks really cool. Can't wait.

chrisfason

Reaction score
this film is going to be epic. after doing frank miller's "300", i was an instant zack snyder fan. sure, there have been changes from the comic but i'm not worried about that. i'm sure that within the scope and context of the film, snyder made the right move.

additionally, this:
http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Tales-Freighter-Digital-Blu-ray/dp/B001QTWC00
was produced by snyder and company concurrently w/ "watchmen" and should be awesome. anyone who has read the comic will see some important elements missing from the feature film. this fills these elements.

rawk.

chrisfason

Reaction score
also, to whet people's appetite...
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/12/09/watchmen-comic-con-footage-free-on-itunes/

click on the larger image and enjoy the free itunes goodness. for those who haven't read the comic, there is a free "watchmen" motion comic on itunes.

i know this is all kinda old news, but if we're treating this as an all-things-watchmen official-type thread, might as well mention it.

karamazov80

Reaction score
I love Alan Moore's comics generally, and Watchmen may be my favorite comic series of all time. Having said that, I'm not 100% sure about the movie. Snyder's previous work hasn't exactly blown me away, and though some of the early stuff I've seen for this movie seems spot on, I recently saw some quiet interaction between Rorschach and the Night Owl, and something just seemed. . .off.

Still, hoping for the best. I'm also impatiently waiting for Hot Toys Watchmen figures to be announced! I know there are some Kubrick fans around here, and for them, check this out.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I'll pass on the film. Not unless I'm really bored and feel like wasting money on this film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fox purchased the rights to release and develop the Watchmen franchise in the 80s. Over the years they either cheapened the concept into a farce or seemed disinterested. There have been so many failed attempts. When approached a few years ago with a screenplay a Fox executive wrote it off as the worst thing he'd ever seen and that it was unfilmable! They passed on the project and insulted it while doing so. Then WB picked it up, made some minor changes and sent it into development. Halfway into shooting - when there was actually some good buzz and press photos - Fox tried to get it shut down. WB worked on and completed the film they had started. So, it's not that Fox wanted to make the film. They didn't even believe in it. They just felt it was still their legal property and didn't want anyone else touching it. WB didn't secure all the legal documents needed to make the picture and have settled the matter by giving Fox an undisclosed sum and a portion of the profits, but not any screen credit. Still, Fox handled this horribly. I put it on them.
I can see this further hurting the production of 1960's Batman DVD's. :eek:

animal0606

Reaction score
I have never heard of the Comics to this movie..that being said I have never read comic books. It looks intresting but i will wait until it comes out on video

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Just saw it. It was gory, violent, filled with gratuitous and uncomfortable nudity, and way way over-the-top...

AND THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN!

This is how superhero movies should be made. It is a very hard "R", and it follows the comic amazingly, from the overall look right down to almost word-for-word dialogue. It has some moments that are difficult to watch, it is unflinching in it's depiction of violence and I loved it. I can see that it is clearly NOT for everyone, but it sure was for me!

Beauregard

Reaction score
I watched it last night, and aside from almost being sick at the brutality within it, it truly is the most hard-edged and realistic Comic Book movie ever made.

The look: It couldn't have looked better. It really couldn't. Everything was there. You could take any screen-shot from the movie and just stare at it for hours and never find it boring.

The opening credits: I read a review which said, "The opening credits held more of a story than the last three Spiderman movies combined" and I agree. It was fantastic.

The action: Ok, so I was almost sick watching the scene with...er...the saw, and also the bit with the, er, Dogs...But that's because I didn't expect to see those kinds of scenes in there (I hadn't read the book.)

The story: Oh my gosh...wow...Retired Superheros...My heart stops at how good they portrayed them.

One of the best moments, for me, in the whole film was when one of the characters turned up at the other's house and says, "I didn't have anywhere else to go. I only know heros."

And it ocured to me, this is how Wonderwoman of Superman will be when they get old and forgotten...It stuck with me to hard.

However, my fear is that all Superhero movies from here-on will try to be Watchmen...

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I watched it last night, and aside from almost being sick at the brutality within it, it truly is the most hard-edged and realistic Comic Book movie ever made.

The look: It couldn't have looked better. It really couldn't. Everything was there. You could take any screen-shot from the movie and just stare at it for hours and never find it boring.

The opening credits: I read a review which said, "The opening credits held more of a story than the last three Spiderman movies combined" and I agree. It was fantastic.

The action: Ok, so I was almost sick watching the scene with...er...the saw, and also the bit with the, er, Dogs...But that's because I didn't expect to see those kinds of scenes in there (I hadn't read the book.)

The story: Oh my gosh...wow...Retired Superheros...My heart stops at how good they portrayed them.

One of the best moments, for me, in the whole film was when one of the characters turned up at the other's house and says, "I didn't have anywhere else to go. I only know heros."

And it ocured to me, this is how Wonderwoman of Superman will be when they get old and forgotten...It stuck with me to hard.

However, my fear is that all Superhero movies from here-on will try to be Watchmen...
Ok. It's offical. I am DESPARATE to see it, but I have no money atm. Reading what the film has been classified to be restricted to 15 and over, I am thinking that people will see it and think "Jolly good, a movie for my 6 year old to see". But seeing as how violent it is, and that the label thingy says "Strong violence and Sex Scene", people will be exposing their kids to violence etc. I mean, I saw people taking little kids to The Dark Knight, so why not this :smirk: