I finally have a Mac!

wiley207

Reaction score
Yep, I finally decided to hop on the Apple bandwagon. I bought myself a cheap used iMac G3! Here are the specifications...

PowerPC G3 350MHz processor
576 MB of RAM
7 GB hard drive
Slot-loading CD-ROM drive

For those wondering, this is the mid-2000 "Indigo" model.

Initially, it had Mac OS 9 on it, which wasn't that great IMHO. So I decided to install the Mac firmware update, and then reformat the hard drive and replace the OS with Mac OS X Panther! I think Mac OS X IS a great operating system, even if it's a slightly older version. The speed varies; sometimes it can be fast and
sometimes it goes as slow as my desktop PC, but no matter. I also plan on upgrading the RAM to 1 GB in the future, and replace the old hard drive with an 80-120 GB model, and replace the CD-ROM drive with a CD-RW or DVD-ROM drive. It also came with an Apple Pro Keyboard and a Microsoft optical USB mouse (which I replaced with my wireless Microsoft mouse). I also managed to find Mac OS X-compatible drivers for my LinkSys USB Wi-Fi adapter, and I have an external USB hard drive connected to it. It also now has iLife '04, OpenOffice, and I also use Firefox for web browsing (I like it better than Safari, IMHO).

I eventually also plan to buy a Mac Mini or a MacBook to unleash the true power/speed of Mac OS X in the future

comments?

animal0606

Reaction score
**** you all! be more specific I thought we were talking about BIG MACS ..mmm big mac

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I'm a Mac too! Welcome to the club! You'll notice the grass truly is greener on this side!