Muppets 101 & Disney Muppet passholder event

KermiClown

Reaction score
Muppets 101 at the Orange County Regional History Center was a full-house event... probably 200 people (it wasn't a particularly large space and I'm not sure how many people it actually held).

The passholder event at Disney was actually presented three times that day. The first two events were sold-out and they added the third. I was at the third event at 7:00 that evening. It wasn't quite a full house, put it was pretty close. I'd guess a couple hundred, probably.

I don't believe they had outtakes of the bucket dropping on Beaker's head. A lot of flubbed lines bloopers. A lot of re-takes of the final musical number (I remember one take where some oblivious guests walked right through the camera shot despite a gaggle of Muppets singing and dancing right in front of them).

Nothing really notable or enlightening from the question and answer session. Several people asked about the possible DVD release of specials like John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together and The Muppet Musicians of Bremen. Craig Shemin explained that releasing something like John Denver and the Muppets was complicated (although not impossible) due to the different folks who have ownership of the project (I guess it is part owned by John Denver's estate and partially by Disney). He did say that Muppet Musicians was certainly possible as a release but that there were no current plans that he knew of.

Someone asked about future Muppet projects, and following the success of Letters to Santa, a possible Halloween special might be in the works. They also alluded to the new Muppet movie.

Someone asked what Gonzo was, and apparently she had never seen Muppets from Space because she seemed very surprised when Gonzo said that in that movie he was discovered to be an alien. Although he did say that that was just a movie and there was still no definite answer as to what he was.

I actually asked about Gonzo's evolution from his beginnings on the Muppet Show to the type of character he is now. Dave Goelz said that after the first season, Jim Henson asked him to make Gonzo less sad and depressing, so he made a new Gonzo with eyes that could open wider and seemed happier. He also said that A Muppet Christmas Carol was a big turning point for Gonzo, allowing him to be more soul-searching and serious. Also, Dave said around that time he was going through a lot of life changes and writer Jerry Juhl was very attuned to that and worked some of those changes into Gonzo's character. So, basically, Gonzo grew up along with Dave.

Wish I could remember even more details about the two nights' events, but it was a bit of an overload at times and a lot to retain.

ploobis

Reaction score
Too Bad I wasn't there. I would have love to have been there. I've always wanted to see the 1961 Muppet appearance on The Today Show (Yes, We Have No Bananas & Old Black Magic)!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Someone asked what Gonzo was, and apparently she had never seen Muppets from Space because she seemed very surprised when Gonzo said that in that movie he was discovered to be an alien.
Heh heh heh, a lot of people didn't see Muppets From Space. :wink: But I did!

zns

Reaction score
Muppets 101 at the Orange County Regional History Center was a full-house event... probably 200 people (it wasn't a particularly large space and I'm not sure how many people it actually held).

The passholder event at Disney was actually presented three times that day. The first two events were sold-out and they added the third. I was at the third event at 7:00 that evening. It wasn't quite a full house, put it was pretty close. I'd guess a couple hundred, probably.

I don't believe they had outtakes of the bucket dropping on Beaker's head. A lot of flubbed lines bloopers. A lot of re-takes of the final musical number (I remember one take where some oblivious guests walked right through the camera shot despite a gaggle of Muppets singing and dancing right in front of them).

Nothing really notable or enlightening from the question and answer session. Several people asked about the possible DVD release of specials like John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together and The Muppet Musicians of Bremen. Craig Shemin explained that releasing something like John Denver and the Muppets was complicated (although not impossible) due to the different folks who have ownership of the project (I guess it is part owned by John Denver's estate and partially by Disney). He did say that Muppet Musicians was certainly possible as a release but that there were no current plans that he knew of.

Someone asked about future Muppet projects, and following the success of Letters to Santa, a possible Halloween special might be in the works. They also alluded to the new Muppet movie.

Someone asked what Gonzo was, and apparently she had never seen Muppets from Space because she seemed very surprised when Gonzo said that in that movie he was discovered to be an alien. Although he did say that that was just a movie and there was still no definite answer as to what he was.

I actually asked about Gonzo's evolution from his beginnings on the Muppet Show to the type of character he is now. Dave Goelz said that after the first season, Jim Henson asked him to make Gonzo less sad and depressing, so he made a new Gonzo with eyes that could open wider and seemed happier. He also said that A Muppet Christmas Carol was a big turning point for Gonzo, allowing him to be more soul-searching and serious. Also, Dave said around that time he was going through a lot of life changes and writer Jerry Juhl was very attuned to that and worked some of those changes into Gonzo's character. So, basically, Gonzo grew up along with Dave.

Wish I could remember even more details about the two nights' events, but it was a bit of an overload at times and a lot to retain.
Sounds like it was a fun filled event. I must say that I envy you David. Glad you had a good time though. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
No matter how envious I am of you, I wouldn't take away your experience for anything in the world! That sounded great! Did you get your picture with Gonzo and Dave, and when will you post it?

beaker

Reaction score
So amazing to hear! I love hearing about actual live Muppets performed in front of people.(Caroll with Oscar at the book signings, Steve with Kermit in New York openings, PRell with Red Fraggle at Comic Con, and Gonzo by himself or with Elmo and Zoe back east)

Anyways, sounds like an amazing two days! You're own private Muppetfest:smile:

Makes me think how awesome a Muppetfest type event put on by Disney would be, at say Anaheim Disneyland or WDW. I guess, akin to the 90's era Star Wars Weekends?

ploobis

Reaction score
Check out what I found!

http://www.studioscentral.com

When ya get there just click on Muppet Passholder Speaker Event!

If it's not getting you there just type the in that website and you'll find it.

ploobis

Reaction score
If you are not having luck on the link I sent ya, Heres what else you can do.

Just go to Google and type in Disney Muppet Passholder event then click search then go to the link that sez "The Muppets Annual Passholder Speaker Event Disney's Hollywood. It's a link from studiocentral.com.

Maybe that will help. When ya get there you,ll see some photos of the event and also a short clip of a Muppet Clip playing on the screen. It's a clip of Rowlf singing "You and I and George" from the video show from the "Here Come The Muppets" show that use to be at Disney World.

Still wish that I could have been there. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the link I share with you.