Putting on Charity Puppet Shows, advice :)

CrazyHarryFan

Reaction score
:excited:

Hey friends!

Well, I've been having so much fun since I joined up! I have learned a lot and am so impressed with this community of Muppet fans and am literally flabbergasted at the talent here!

I'd like a bit of advice on a project I am tinkering around with. I have had a dream to put on free "Muppet Style" Puppet shows for severely impoverished children in my town. There are a lot of great things for children to do in our town, but most of those shows, or activities are geared towards older children, and teenagers. My wife and I grew frustrated trying to find interesting and engaging things to take our young daughter to.

My daughter is only 2 1/2 and she LOVES the Muppet Show, and Fraggle Rock. She is learning the songs to Fraggle Rock and just..... she is a Muppet Fan like us. So, you can imagine my sadness where there were no (ZERO, ZLITCH) fun young children's activities for my family to enjoy. I spoke to my wife and told her about an idea I had in the 1990's.

I enjoyed the Hobbit book and cartoon movie when I was young, the Rankin and Bass cartoon from 1977. I always thought, for no particular reason I can remember, thought that there should be a Puppet version of the Hobbit Cartoon. If you think about Bilbo Baggins in that cartoon, he LOOKS like a Puppet! He could very easily be a member of the Muppets!

Look at this photo of Bilbo and perhaps you can see my thinking process:

So, for 15 or 20 years I have thought about what a Puppet version of the Hobbit cartoon from 1977 would actually LOOK like if it was done. And, how what you would "do" with the show for children, and how short it would have to be and things like that. In 2005 I saw Avenue Q - and I felt like a hole inside me was filled! I couldn't BELIEVE Avenue Q!

What can I say about Avenue Q! It was amazing! Oh my gosh! Avenue Q is exactly the kind of show I have waited my WHOLE life to see! I remember telling my wife then about how I would love to see a Puppet version of the Hobbit, and it was a off-handed comment.

And last year out of the blue I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall with my wife, which I thought was funny and charming and he reminded me of me in many ways. I wear my heart on my shoulder, and so did Jason Segel's character. So, after seeing the AMAZING Vampire Puppet show in the Forgetting Sarah Marshall movie, I started researching puppets and didn't really get anywhere. But I kept the idea in the back of my mind.....

I am heavily involved in my local community with charity work for the poor. I'm not bragging - because I'm only one of many many good people trying to help, but I noticed, there was very little direction towards children in the poverty initiatives where I live. I called city hall, and called a few local churches, and no one knew of any children related programs for poor children in town.

That was it. I told my wife, "I want to put on the Hobbit Puppet Show, inspired by the 1977 Rankin and Bass Cartoon for impoverished children in town!" She supported me and - here I am.

My young daughter LOVES puppets, I love puppets, I love the Hobbit, and I care DEEPLY about how poverty is effecting those people less fortunate than me. That's enough drive and determination to make it happen. All I'm lacking is money, and knowledge of how to work puppets, and make puppets. hahaha

BUT, I'm a GREAT learner, and have enough passion to NEVER give up! Now, what I'd like is some advice. I would imagine that many of you have put on puppet shows and can offer me some priceless advice. I have a thousand questions, but here is what I was thinking for the show and maybe I can get some feedback.

I was thinking of putting on a 30 minute Puppet version of the Hobbit, inspired by the 1977 cartoon, with a short intermission for the children to sing a couple of songs. So, 15 minutes of show, a short intermission with a couple of songs, then 15 minutes of show.

If I can pull this off, then I'll shorten the Hobbit story and just do what I call the "Highlights" of the story, with plot points to keep children interested.

I would like to put it on several times for young children at church (to field test it!) and then put it on for children at the local library, schools, and different venues for free. I hope to be able to take the show directly to the children in the poorer areas, of bring them to the show.

I already am working with several churches to make this happen when the time comes. I have SO MANY people who love this idea. I've really been talking about this for a long time, but now I need to start really planning the puppets to see if this will work. And I was invited to join Muppet Central to learn.

So, what advice can I get about putting on a free puppet version of the Hobbit for underprivileged kids? I truly TRULY appreciate any help or advice! It means a lot to me!

:smile: Thanks!

-----Chuck

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think I can help you my friend, but i want to ask you a few questions

!. Have you worked/played with a puppet before.

2. Do you have some kind of plots for your story

3. Do you have any puppets you can get your hands on or in I should say.

Let me know and I will try to help you with what I know from what I have been through.

CrazyHarryFan

Reaction score
Thanks Dwayne! Very kind of you. I was surprised I only got one response.... haha I guess everyone is busy! So, thanks for your time. ROFL

Okay, #1.) I have never played with a puppet before. I have been studying muppets for several months, but have yet to purchase one to start learning. My hope is to find a good basic one that I can try out at home, with my wife and daughter and get a good feeling for what I'm doing. And hopefully there will be other tutorials online to offer some assistance. But I plan to work VERY hard to get the feel of what I'm doing. I am exceedingly extroverted, so this will be so much fun for me!

#2.) The first story I will be doing is The Hobbit, based on the cartoon version. I plan on making it about a half hour, since young children can't sit still too long. Either way, it won't need to be longer than about 45 minutes long in my opinion. Especially since all of us will be volunteers doing this for free for the children. I am writing my own original story with original characters for children right now, but I wouldn't be ready to put this on until probably next year. But I do have a half dozen other story ideas I'm considering doing. All kid-safe!

#3.) I don't own a single puppet. Honestly, as a husband, father, and grad student, I am rather broke. But I hoped joining Muppet Central would give me an opportunity to buy a great "first puppet" for learning that way I can practice every single day. Any suggestions on what puppet to buy first? If anyone wants to lend me a starter puppet, I would greatly appreciate it!

I hope that gives you an idea of where I'm at. Basically, I am in the planning stages. My wife and I joke that I'm in the Pre-Pre Production stage. Which makes me laugh when I think about it! LOL

I am hoping that by late August - the beginning of children's next calendar semester, I will be able to start a run of The Hobbit Puppet Show at my church for the kids. We will be able to get a feel of what does and doesn't work, what the kids respond to, and "road test" it. Then I'm hoping the schools might let us put it on for the Kindergarten center, then when we are comfortable, we can start putting the show on for underprivileged and poor children and really making some children smile.

I think I can help you my friend, but i want to ask you a few questions

!. Have you worked/played with a puppet before.

2. Do you have some kind of plots for your story

3. Do you have any puppets you can get your hands on or in I should say.

Let me know and I will try to help you with what I know from what I have been through.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Ok we need to get to work on your Puppetery first off. Now Since you don't have any Puppets or the funds to gt any. We will have to make do with what we have.
First I want you to watch people talk, when you do this you will see that the lip that we move the most is our lower lip. This is very inportaint when working a Puppet, This is one one my pet peeves is seeing someone moving the Puppets upper lip, and also moving the whole Puppet head.
Now to really get some practice with this get some music that yu like, a song that could easly be sung to. Take you hand that you write with and make it like you would if it was inside a puppet. That would be all your finegers together and your thumb kind of folded under them.
Now look in the mirror and move your tumb as if it was doing the talking. practise this when you have free time. Use talking and singingto get a feel for the different ways it feels. Make sure that when doing this to keep your other fingers together, and not moving as much as possibal.
When you feel confertable doing this, then start holding your arm above your head. This is where it gets a little tiering becase holding your arm about your head for a long time hurts, but if yu keep doing it it will start to feel natural.
Now That all I really want you to start with try this for about a week maybe two. Let me know how this is working for you, and if you have you have any questions.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I adore the 1977 Rankin & Bass The Hobbit! It's great for its emphasis on breaking out of your shell and braving new experiences. Good luck, just make sure you don't step on anyone's copyrighting! :wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ok we need to get to work on your Puppetery first off. Now Since you don't have any Puppets or the funds to gt any. We will have to make do with what we have.
First I want you to watch people talk, when you do this you will see that the lip that we move the most is our lower lip. This is very inportaint when working a Puppet, This is one one my pet peeves is seeing someone moving the Puppets upper lip, and also moving the whole Puppet head.
Now to really get some practice with this get some music that yu like, a song that could easly be sung to. Take you hand that you write with and make it like you would if it was inside a puppet. That would be all your finegers together and your thumb kind of folded under them.
Now look in the mirror and move your tumb as if it was doing the talking. practise this when you have free time. Use talking and singingto get a feel for the different ways it feels. Make sure that when doing this to keep your other fingers together, and not moving as much as possibal.
When you feel confertable doing this, then start holding your arm above your head. This is where it gets a little tiering becase holding your arm about your head for a long time hurts, but if yu keep doing it it will start to feel natural.
Now That all I really want you to start with try this for about a week maybe two. Let me know how this is working for you, and if you have you have any questions.
Don't forget about holding the puppet at a forty five degree angle because people are not standing up erect in real life...

Anyway, I think Richard said it best when he was teaching a muppet workshop that the most important thing to remember is just to practice.

CrazyHarryFan

Reaction score
Thanks, all three of you for advice! I am literally taking notes on my computer! :smile:

Im crossing my fingers and trying to find that Eden Kermit Puppet and I am going to modify him so I can start practicing using your suggestions, and a couple of online tutorials.

I'll practice everyday in the mirror, and for my wife and daughter. After enough time, I'll record myself to see what it looking good and bad, and ask your opinion here of how I am progressing. LOL

I DID find some 20 dollar puppets at a local toy store, but my wife and I agreed they were SOOO poorly designed, that it was a true waste to purchase one of them.

I may just have to literally make my own, I don't know yet. I don't feel skilled enough just yet to try. I am still hoping to find the Eden Toys Kermit Puppet. I really think I'd enjoy beginning there, and moving on from there to the next level....

Am I sounding like I'm on the right track? haha All advice is welcome!

Thanks!

---Chuck

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yes you sound to be on the right track! Just keep at it every day.

CrazyHarryFan

Reaction score
I ordered John Kennedy's two Puppet books, since they were both only about 15$ dollars. They will be here next week. I will practice at actually making my own puppets, then practicing.

Right now I'm stuck because I don't HAVE a Puppet to practice with. haha :smile:

So, I am just creating my own original characters, and writing their background stories and histories. That is FUN and rewarding - and really silly!

--Chuck

Yes you sound to be on the right track! Just keep at it every day.