My First Puppet Project! (Attempt)

Nicky

Reaction score
Ok, so you get this kinda thread a lot but I just couldn't wait any longer :big_grin:

I've been a member of this forum for ages it seems and before that a lurker for so long also. But for some reason haven't posted much. I think this is due to at one point I made a new account for reasons I can't remember. I believe it was because of the name choice.

Anyway, so finally after collecting lots of information, and lots of thinking about it but never getting round to it, I've started building my first puppet!

My first is going to be an Elmo-esque puppet. Now I understand the whole deal with replicas and them being sold and such. But I just had to give it a try (don't worry, I wont be selling anything :])

So far I have all the materials and after lots of messing around managed to trace a pattern off my laptop screen and onto two-three a4 sheets of paper, then transfered that onto card as one piece to have as a template.

I have lots of red faux fur and have attempted boiling a swatch to see how the matted look comes out that way, and was rather pleased with the result!

Anyway, enough with the chit chat. Here are but a few pictures so far:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...iewPicture&friendID=373014279&albumId=1260670

It's on my myspace album :]

x

Also: I know the head shape is round and not quite elmo-ish, but I figured if I put a slightly wider mouth board in, it would look about right. Especially after all the matted fur has been attached and styled about and such.

Thanks x :wisdom:

wes

Reaction score
Looks good i have used that pattern alot I love it.

So far so good!

Nicky

Reaction score
It's the round head puppet pattern from puppetbuilding.com :smile:

I'm confused as to how to boil all my fur. I did the swatch, but I don't really have anything big enough for a whole square of the fur.

I think I read something about doing it in a bath?
Any ideas?

Also about cutting the fur, I would I assume I cut the fur to the same as the puppet pattern but slightly bigger?

Nicky

Reaction score
I was just wondering also puppetise, you wouldn't happen to still have this pattern mentioned in a previous thread?

I was searching for a basic fraggle pattern and came across this:

OK any one intrested in a gobo patern that i got i scaned it onto the computer its available at http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...etise&x=10&y=8
I clicked the link but couldn't find anything. So I assume it was an old post?

Some great puppets though :big_grin:

puppetise

Reaction score
I was just wondering also puppetise, you wouldn't happen to still have this pattern mentioned in a previous thread?

I was searching for a basic fraggle pattern and came across this:

I clicked the link but couldn't find anything. So I assume it was an old post?

Some great puppets though :big_grin:
thanks yes it is a old post i have lost the patterns a long time ago now sorry but your puppet looks fantastic

Nicky

Reaction score
Ah it's ok, no problem thanks anyway about the pattern :smile:

And thanks for the compliment too :big_grin:

I'm more or less at the stage where I should be covering the thing in fur, and I'm finding it rather fiddly/confusing.

Would I be right as I said before in saying that I should cut the fur from the same pattern I used on the head but slightly bigger?

Same with the hands?

Melonpool

Reaction score
Here's how I pattern:

1. get some cheap fabric that's basically the same stretch as the final fabric.

2. find the centerline of the puppet (usually the center seam on the foam head, starting at the nose).

3. pin the cheap fabric to the head, making the two halves come together at the seam. It should be tight, and leave a bit of excess fabric where the halves come together. Dart the fabric out where necessary to get a tight hold.

4. take a sharpie and mark the pattern part of the fabric. Basically anything you'd cut away should be on the "outside" of the line. This includes any darts.

5. Put a series of tic marks to align the two halves (I usually use the midway points on darts, as well as about every 2 inches along the seam). Make sure these tic marks are on both patterns and on the pattern (not the cutaway) part of the fabric.

6. Remove the pattern. Cut away all the excess fabric. You could use these as your pattern, but to ensure that the pattern is symmetrical, you can do the following:

7. Take a piece of paper (like butcher paper) and trace one of the patterns onto it. Be sure to mark the tic marks for alignment.

8. Take the other half and turn it over. You'll need to transfer the tic marks to the other side). Line up as many of the tic marks as you can from the second pattern onto the butcher paper tracing. Take a different writing instrument (I use a pencil for side 1 and a ball-point pen for side 2) and trace the second pattern, complete with tic marks.

9. Now, cut out the paper pattern. Use the midway point between the two pattern tracings to be the final pattern. Label the pattern (Something like Monster head pattern, cut 2). Be sure to mark the mouth, since a lot of times, they could be mistaken for a big dart.

10. trace the pattern onto the final fabric's back. Be sure to flip it for the other side tracing. If you're sewing by hand, you can cut right on the line. If you're using a machine leave about a 1/2 inch seam allowance.

11. sew the darts first. Line up the two halves and sew them together.

12. put the skull in through the mouth and hot glue it at the lip line to the mouth palette. You shouldn't need to glue it anywhere else.

Hope this helps!

Steve