Needed: Brainstorming: Big Whale Puppet

wes

Reaction score
Not to be contrary since all the suggestions have been excellent but food for thought; the scripture actually says Jonah was swallowed by a great fish which most interpret to be a whale. At any rate this leaves the possibilities open to make a whale (tail moves up and down) or a very large fish (tail moves sideways). One of the most incredible puppets ive ever seen of this was a bunruku fish that was built on a backpack frame and hinged in several places along the tail. As the puppeteer moves accross the stage the tail naturally sways with the movement. Also since the fish body is supported and balanced on the pack frame, the puppeteer's hands are free to move the mouth. In addition the belly of the fish was translucent and when Jonah is swallowed he is seen as a shadow puppet inside. This was designed and built by Dave Privett of Play Soup. I should ad that this puppet is enormous and would require a very large stage
Yes i subscribe to that notion to but i was working with other kids pastors, and figured that for the sake of cohesiveness to sick with the whale.

when i'm teaching the story i teach the Big fish wich i do believe is what happen.But we were teaching on Obediance and not concintrating on the whale itself.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
u could still do a whale by using counter weights in each section of tail for an up and down movement