What is your favorite Sid and Marty Krofft shows?

jwalter409

Reaction score
Lidsville and H.R. Pufnstuf

They were all good shows. Most of which Netflix has to rewatch.

Redsonga

Reaction score
The Bugloos are my favorite :3. But I love the 90's Land of The Lost over the 70's one *hides*:embarrassed:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I like:
Land of The Lost.
I think the movie was good to, it was true to the show.
That5 may be true, but the movie was of of those things where it was off and not exactly clear in just who exactly they were trying yo appeal too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How the Elmo did I not see this thread before?

For me, I think my all time favorite Krofft show is H.R. Pufnstuf; two other favorites of mine are The Bugaloos, and I just recently discovered D.C. Follies about a year ago or so, but I really like it as well.

BTW, did you guys know Sid and Marty are on MySpace?

http://www.myspace.com/krofft

I know Marty's actually posted on the Krofft blog before, but I believe for the most part, one of his daughters maintains the account.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Lol, an old thread being bumped!

You know, next to Jim, Sid and Marty were also big heroes of mine in puppetry... even though they, admittedly, weren't as superior as the Muppets, their work is really enjoyable, because even though the writing and whatnot is all trippy and campy and such, like the Muppets, it's entertaining to kids and adults as well.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Lidsville is trippy!
Okay- they're all trippy! LOL
H.R. Pufnstuff is classic too, of course. And Land of the Lost is pretty good from what I've seen of it.:big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My only problem with Krofft shows, as I mentioned in another thread, is that they ended up recycling plots and such way too much in their work, to the point that they were making carbon copies of themselves.

Out of the original shows they did, both The Bugaloos and Sigmund and The Sea Monsters stand out amongst the others, because they were the only ones that were different: with Bugaloos, you have a group of singing humanoid insects who are constantly pestered by a crazy old hag who wants to be a rockstar, but can't sing to save her life; and Sigmund involves a "two-world" scenario, with a sea monster being taken in by a pair of brothers in the human world, while Sigmund's family back in the sea monster is like a watered-down puppety version of All in the Family (both Sid Krofft, and producer Si Rose even said that Sigmund's family was based on the Bunker family).

I think LOTL stands out, mainly because it's their longest running show (three seasons, whereas the others are usually just one), and because of it's dramatic and scifi nature.

But, let's look at this:
H.R. Pufnstuf (1969-1970) is about a boy who ends up on the magical Living Island, and tries to escape with the help of the islanders, while eluding an evil witch.
Lidsville (1971-1972) is about a boy who falls down a magician's hat into Lidsville (the land of talking hats), and tries to escape with the help of the Hat People, while eluding an evil magician.
Land of the Lost (1974-1977) is about a family who ends up in another dimension, and tries to find their way back home to the real world, while dealing with strange creatures like Pekunis, Sleestaks, and dinosaurs.
The Lost Saucer (1975-1976) is about a boy and his babysitter "abducted" by two futuristic androids, who try to get them home, but end up taking them back to Earth during different time periods (from the past to the future).
Far Out Space Nuts (1975-1976) is like the twin of the above mentioned: two NASA maintenance workers accidentally launch themselves into outerspace, and try to get back home, but keep crash-landing on different planets inhabited by different strange creatures.

Then by the late 70s, they had all different kinds of variety shows for the cast of the Brady Bunch, Donny and Marie Osmond, Barbara Mandrell, and others.

Of course, there was the lesser-known D.C. Follies from 1987, which was really interesting (though a bit of a knock-off of the U.K.'s Spitting Image): sort of a cross between Cheers and SNL, with puppet caricatures of that time's popular celebrities and prolific politicians.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, another thing that gets me about Krofft shows too is that after a while, they really had some pretty bad actors on the shows... their earlier shows like Pufnstuf and such had some terrific performances by the likes of Jack Wild, Billie Hayes, Martha Raye, Butch Patrick, etc... but by the time they got to shows like their Supershows and everything, everybody had that Miley Cyrus kind of performance: you can thell that they can tell the camera's there, and so they really ham it up and you can actually tell they're trying to act.

Also, although I'm one of the few people who actually condones the use of the laugh track, they didn't really utilize it properly after a while: earlier shows like Pufnstuf, it sounded very natural, but later shows like Lost Saucer or Space Nuts, they had loud outbursts of laughter at jokes or lines that really weren't that funny, or laughs that interuppted mid-sentence, or even laughs when there were no jokes or gags or punchlines.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------
I acutally liked the Bugaloos, sad to admit...

----------------