Breaking the Magic

shtick

Reaction score
When working with kids live (and or out in the open), what do you do when a kid points to the fact that the puppet is not "real"?

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
First I think you have to look at the behaviour- why is the child pointing it out? Is he trying to get your attention? More than likely yes. I sometimes have the puppet react to what the child is saying- have the puppet be surprised that someone is controling him. Or the opposite- have the puppet not see you. Denying your existence...no mtter how hard the puppet tries he still can't see the puppeteer. I use both tactics depending on the child. I make sure that if the behaviour is attention seeking that I provide that child 5 or more seconds of puppet time. If the behaviour continues and the child begins touching the puppet roughly to prove that the puppet is not real then I suggest getting out of character and stating to the child that they are correct and that they have to respect the puppet. Age of the child also plays a huge factor- if a thirteen year old started arguing with the puppet that he his not real I probably break character and agree with him. But if the child was young, I'd probably joke a little more. Ultimately the child is right the puppet isn't real and agreeing with them sometimes shows you respect their view. I find the age kids start to point out puppets not being real is usually from ages 7-12...oddly enough when they start to question or learn about the tooth fairy/Santa/ etc.
9 times outta ten they just want to prove to their peers they are right and that you can't fool them. LOL like I stated above joke around about it but if it gets physical then you'll have to step in and deal with the behaviour out of character.
I actually read an article online about childrens developmental stages and how that effects how they deal with puppets...I'm writing this on my iPod so I can't cut and paste the link but I will search for it and post it if I find it. Hope this suggestion helps.

shtick

Reaction score
Very informative. This thought brings to mind the whole idea of acting in puppetry. When working live in the open with puppets there is sort of a fourth wall thing going on.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I usually have more adults point out that the puppets are fake than kids. A friend of mine has a great technique where he has the puppet looked shocked at the revelation that he's not real and then start sobbing about it. Usually this makes a kid (or adult) try to console the puppet or just laugh.

Of course, we rarely (if ever) do shows. Most of the people we perform for are in meet and greet sort of scenarios, so we really only have to interact for about 1-2 minutes at a time.

wes

Reaction score
it really depends on my mood, most of the time i ignore the kids after the fifth time telling me, " I know you did the puppets" or "I know how that works" they give up and move along.

If there older I tell them your right! Kids seam to want to be validated. I ask them to help me ( another things kids like to do: Help) keep the puppet thing a secret, it will ruin it for the little kids.

Most of the time it's not a problem kids have short attetion span.
Example:

Me: Welcome to my Puppet show.

Kid: I know how that works, your doing the puppets, your not real. Monkeys don't talk.

me: here kids I have candy!

kids: CANDY, I LIKE CANDY! WHERE IS CANDY?..... What were we talking about.

bluesquid

Reaction score
If it's an older kid (teenage) then start an argument.

Example:
Kid: Your not real!
Puppet: Yes I am!
Kid: No you aren't! Your stupid!
Puppet: I'M stupid? Your the one arguing with a puppet!

If you make the kid the butt of the joke they'll get angry and will just give up.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
wha...? Santa? NO! It's not possible! But what about...I cant believe this!

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I say "yep! you're right! its a good thing, too--otherwise they'd eat your brains"

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Who? The puppets or the kids?
the puppets would eat the kids' brains.

Honestly, unless it's part of a show--like mid-show, I don't see any reason you shouldn't tell children that puppets aren't alive. And even if it *is* mid-show, so a kid yells out "you're a puppet!" ...what harm is there in saying "yes, yes I am!"? There's probably more harm in telling them that it's a real, living being. An actor would tell a child that they're not really the character he portrays--and this way it allows the kids who might have a fear of the puppet to approach it and not be afraid. If they know its just a glorified doll being controlled by the person holding it, it makes it safe. Hence the "good thing it's not real...otherwise it'd eat your brains." It addresses their question and fear in a lighthearted way.