Least likeable Sesame character?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think Abby's a great character, but she isn't being used to her true potential. I really think there's something in there where she has to come to terms with having magical powers, and one of her friends hates her because she has something her friend doesn't (be it Zoe or Rosita). Which would be a great lesson in not hating someone because they have something you do not. A VERY important message nowadays.
What pretty much turns me off is that the new characters are all pretty much the same: bright, cheerful, hyper and eager to learn! I get the impression they'd be afraid to do an episode that really showed characters getting upset with each other (the way the older characters used to). While Sesame Street used to talk about how it's OK to have grouchy feelings sometimes, now they seem to be saying "No, no, you always have to be HAPPY!" :coy:

Kids aren't always going to be happy, especially when really bad things happen in their lives, and they need to learn how to deal with negative feelings, not pretend they don't exist.

I'm grateful that so many Old School DVDs and clips are available now, though as everyone has said, it would also be nice for the series to also be shown on TV more regularly. But again, that's why TV is dying and the Internet is taking over!

mr3urious

Reaction score
What pretty much turns me off is that the new characters are all pretty much the same: bright, cheerful, hyper and eager to learn! I get the impression they'd be afraid to do an episode that really showed characters getting upset with each other (the way the older characters used to). While Sesame Street used to talk about how it's OK to have grouchy feelings sometimes, now they seem to be saying "No, no, you always have to be HAPPY!" :coy:

Kids aren't always going to be happy, especially when really bad things happen in their lives, and they need to learn how to deal with negative feelings, not pretend they don't exist.

I'm grateful that so many Old School DVDs and clips are available now, though as everyone has said, it would also be nice for the series to also be shown on TV more regularly. But again, that's why TV is dying and the Internet is taking over!
That's another reason why Barney is hated so much. :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's another reason why Barney is hated so much. :frown:
Ok to me Barney was always like the Reality Shows, easy to make, not much thought put into it. I read an article online recently that called modern Sesame Street the "lowest common denominator." Meaning you put a bright red puppet (or big purple dinosaur) in front of kids and of course they're going to look. The same way you watch something shocking on Reality shows.

Don't mean to offend fans of Barney or Elmo or anything. Just that it all comes back to the writing. :wink:

Sesamo2012

Reaction score
well sesame street to me has always been a way to get the meaning of what friend ship and other various things that life can handle. a key part is that the new sesame street deals with issues that are going on for the new generation, which is good for todays living, but with out sesame street the views that i have about living have been that life is sunny all the time.

Drtooth

Reaction score

Yes, but there were a LOT of times, even early on, where she actually took her lack of competent magic personally. That's what I like about the character. She either shrugs it off, similar to Mumford as "Heh, I guess I need more practice" or "OH, I'll NEVER get that spell right." not to mention when she first appeared, she had that very depressed shyness about her... so I wouldn't quite say she's always happy constantly.

Again, this all goes down to when they use her and Elmo together, there's just something lacking. When she's with an adult, and she screws up, she actually feels embarrassment. Somehow I want to see a character get annoyed at her magic, and to have her take it personally. That would be a source of dramatic tension AND a good lesson about how even grownups let their emotions go wild. It's a shame that emotional development takes a back seat to the overly important focus of the year....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I get the impression they'd be afraid to do an episode that really showed characters getting upset with each other (the way the older characters used to).
I think it's mostly because they've tried episodes like that before, but they have received mixed reactions from both kids and parents.

They did two episodes like that during Season 33: one of which tested fairly well, the other failed miserably, and was actually pulled after it's initial broadcast.

The first of which dealt with Big Bird receiving a visit from his sea gull pen pal, Gulliver: Gulliver turned out to be a (subtle) racist against anything who wasn't a bird, and when he refused to play with Big Bird and Snuffy because Snuffy isn't a bird, Big Bird really let him have it, in defense of his best friend (even moreso than when he was displeased that the Dodos said his best friend shouldn't be a Snuffleupagus, but a bird).

The second one was when Telly received a visit from his cousin Izzy, who turned out to be a real bully; basically, this episode failed because it turned out kids got such a kick out of the unintentional hilarity of Telly's fantasy that he and Izzy end up in such a violent fight, that they both end up in the hospital (where Izzy STILL pesters him), that the actual anti-bully message basically wasn't picked up on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The second one was when Telly received a visit from his cousin Izzy, who turned out to be a real bully; basically, this episode failed because it turned out kids got such a kick out of the unintentional hilarity of Telly's fantasy that he and Izzy end up in such a violent fight, that they both end up in the hospital (where Izzy STILL pesters him), that the actual anti-bully message basically wasn't picked up on.
I dunno about you, but Telly chanting "I'm gonna hit 'im! I'm gonna hit 'im! HIT! HIT! HIT!" will never leave my mind.

yeah, Izzy's not all that likable either. I dunno about you, but I was sorta rooting for Telly to smack the blue off of him.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The first of which dealt with Big Bird receiving a visit from his sea gull pen pal, Gulliver: Gulliver turned out to be a (subtle) racist against anything who wasn't a bird, and when he refused to play with Big Bird and Snuffy because Snuffy isn't a bird, Big Bird really let him have it, in defense of his best friend (even moreso than when he was displeased that the Dodos said his best friend shouldn't be a Snuffleupagus, but a bird).
Well considering they had already done this plotline very successfully in 1985's Follow That Bird, it does sounds like their execution was perhaps lacking in this 2002 episode. It's not like they were never able to do more intense plot lines. It's that they used to do it better.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I dunno about you, but Telly chanting "I'm gonna hit 'im! I'm gonna hit 'im! HIT! HIT! HIT!" will never leave my mind.
Kind of like his "I'm a MAD scientist! MAD, I tell you! MAD!"? Or Buster's "YOU BROKE MY MACKEREL MAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" Or Binky's "I said banana! Banana was MY idea! Without me, there IS no banana!"?

Lol, you like random comedic outbursts, don't you?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well considering they had already done this plotline very successfully in 1985's Follow That Bird, it does sounds like their execution was perhaps lacking in this 2002 episode. It's not like they were never able to do more intense plot lines. It's that they used to do it better.
Actually, I'm starting to wonder if that wasn't the intention after all. It also seemed to me Mrs. Finch wanted him to go to a traditional family as well... the mother/father2.5 children bit. They never fully explain or even acknowledge if Big Bird even had parents... YET he has a grandparent. That ALWAYS confused me. Aside from that, he lives by himself, and he's about 6, so I WOULD think that Mrs. Finch's intentions were much purer than what came across, yet she was unaware that for the lack of a traditional family, he had so many friendly motherly and fatherly figures in the adults that lived on the street.

So basically, even without the bird part of the equation, you still have a story about an orphan... even though we never know if Big Bird is one or not.

The Gulliver one seemed to hit it at a different angle. His message wasn't so much JUST that he was supposed to belong to his own "kind" but almost an outright refusal to accept anyone else as his equal... that is what racism is all about. And I like the manner of subtlety that episode dealt with the issue, though I still say that's something you learn later on in life. It seems to be a non-issue when you're really young. Still, it's something that needed to be taught.

As for the Izzy episode, I never really saw it so much as an anti-bullying theme as a violence doesn't solve anything, never be afraid to tell an adult theme. And it's a shame that got lost in the comedic tone of the episode, but hey... how are you going to show Telly and Izzy injured without scaring kids? Comedically in casts. I guess that was a no win situation. But I feel that Gordon's actions and chats with Telly should have helped the point across for the kids. And I swear I saw it more than once... so maybe it wasn't recalled in all the markets.

Kind of like his "I'm a MAD scientist! MAD, I tell you! MAD!"? Or Buster's "YOU BROKE MY MACKEREL MAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" Or Binky's "I said banana! Banana was MY idea! Without me, there IS no banana!"?

Lol, you like random comedic outbursts, don't you?
Don't forget George Costanza and "GEORGE IS GETTING UPSET!" or "Twix is the ONLY candy with the cookie crunch!" That last one is too hard to say with a straight face when you're angry.

Yeah, that stuff really gets me.