What would you like to learn about puppet building?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I've posted this in a few other places online, but I'm in the final stages of relaunching PuppetBuilding.com. I've been rebuilding the site from scratch and it will be back online if not tonight, then sometime tomorrow (I'll post a separate thread when it's back up and running).

I'm looking to develop new features, content and tutorials and have several really talented puppet builders offering to help with the site so I'd like to find out what sorts of tutorials and information the online puppetry community is looking for.

Some of the suggestions for tutorials so far have included:

• Rod Puppets
  • Moving Eyes & Eyelids
  • A comprehensive marionette construction tutorial
  • One or two piece puppet head patterns in a variety of shapes
  • Mouth plate construction techniques
The feedback so far has been great and I'm looking more ideas. If you could get a puppet building tutorial on anything, what would it be?

If I don't have the required expertise to create the tutorial myself, I'm pretty sure at this point I'll be able to find someone who does. Obviously, it won't be possible to tackle everything all at once, but I am trying to create a "to do" list for the site and prioritize based on the most popular requests.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
actually right now my issue is foam shaped noses. can't find much on those at all.

also.. maybe a section with list of stores each state has that sell foam. obviusly if anyone in the state knows of any, we could send you the store's info so it can help out the next person who needs info

practicecactus

Reaction score
I'd like to see multiple examples for each feature. There's so many ways to do any particular feature it'd be nice to see a range of examples but I know how secretive and coy puppet makers can be about showing their methods.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Re: Foam Suppliers, I like the idea of a supply directory. Though I'd prefer to set it up as a Wiki, so registered users could add suppliers directly themselves.

I also really like the idea of having multiple examples of how to build specific parts...my only issue right now is figuring out how to organize it.

Relborn

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea. Especially a newbie like me could learn a lot from such a site...

Way to go :smile:

Melonpool

Reaction score
I've been working off and on with ways to take licensed Muppet products and "fixing" them to be more on character. I'm almost done converting a 1990s Eden Gonzo into a puppet. Would that be something you'd want for the site? If not, I'll just put them up on my blog.

I'd love to contribute some tutorials and articles to your site, though!

Steve

mrhogg

Reaction score
Foam and fabric directories would be pretty helpful.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I've been working off and on with ways to take licensed Muppet products and "fixing" them to be more on character. I'm almost done converting a 1990s Eden Gonzo into a puppet. Would that be something you'd want for the site? If not, I'll just put them up on my blog. I'd love to contribute some tutorials and articles to your site, though!
That would be fun...sort of "Pimp my Puppet". I'll send you a PM.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
just wanted to say Congratulations, the new site looks great !

Show and Tell

Reaction score
The eye mech section sounds very interesting to me. Although I've made several quality eye mechs from brows, moving eyes to blinking eyes, I'm always looking for better mods for use in new creations. I'd also be most interested in ideas for full body puppets