Jim Henson's Fantastic World @ EMP|SFM in Seattle

willin1987

Reaction score
Jim Henson’s Fantastic World

May 23-August 16, 2009

SPECIAL NOTE: The general public is welcome to visit Jim Henson's Fantastic World after 12:00 pm on Saturday, May 23, 2009. The Member Preview will take place from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm in the exhibition. Click here to become a member and receive early access to the exhibition.

Jim Henson (1936-1990)—artist, puppeteer, film director and producer—created elaborate imaginary worlds filled with unique characters, objects, environments and even languages and cultures. His work is enjoyed in dozens of languages in more than 100 countries. Jim Henson's Fantastic World offers a rare peek into the imagination and creative genius of this multitalented innovator and creator of Kermit the Frog, Big Bird and other beloved characters.

The exhibition features 100 original artworks, including drawings, cartoons and storyboards that illustrate Henson’s talent as a storyteller and visionary. Among the variety of exhibition objects are puppets and television and movie props, photographs of Henson and his collaborators at work and original video productions, including excerpts from Henson’s early career and experimental films.

EMP|SFM will supplement the exhibition with a hands-on puppet theater starring Seattle’s newest band, Mudgarden Experience. The theater will allow visitors to experience what it’s like to perform puppets for an audience and view themselves on monitors—much like how it might have been for Jim Henson while he was filming “Sesame Street” or “The Muppet Show." The audience will be able to watch the puppet show from an area reminiscent of the famous stoop on “Sesame Street.”

The rock star puppets are inspired by Seattle musicians, and visitors will be able to perform the puppets singing the following songs in the hands-on puppet theater:

“Rainbow Connection,” Kenny Asher and Paul Williams, performed by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

“Can You Picture That?” Kenny Asher and Paul Williams, performed by Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem

“Moving Right Along,” Kenny Asher and Paul Williams, performed by Kermit the Frog and Fozzie Bear

“It’s Not Easy Bein’ Green,” Joe Raposo, performed by Van Morrison

“Tenderly,” Walter Gross and Jack Lawrence, performed by Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem

“Mahna Mahna,” Piero Umiliani, performed by Cake

Jim Henson's Fantastic World was organized by The Jim Henson Legacy and the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service in cooperation with the Henson family, The Jim Henson Company, The Muppets Studio, LLC, and Sesame Workshop.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
THATS IT! I'm moving! Rhode Island always gets screwed

Scott S

Reaction score
By chance we chose to go to Seattle for our vacation this year. I was planning to go to this with my son, does anyone know anything else about this exibit? :confused:

tomahawk

Reaction score
I'll be going with my daughter to Muppet History 101 with Craig Shemin tonight. Will let you all know how it is.

MudGarden

Reaction score
Jim Henson's Fantastic World at EMP|SFM in Seattle

The Smithsonian's Jim Henson's Fantastic World is now open to visitors at Seattle's EMP|SFM museum. The exhibition contains numerous artifacts from Jim Henson's extraordinary life, including sketches, illustrations, photos, puppets and more. Some of the Muppets featured include Kermit, Rowlf, Mahna Mahna & The Snowths, and Bert & Ernie.

Also, in addition to the exhibition, EMP|SFM has also added the MudGarden Experience. An interactive exhibit allowing fans to control specially designed puppets to classic Henson music. Two of the puppets have distinct similarities to Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Kobain.

In addition, EMP|SFM will also be hosting a number of programs this summer featuring guests who worked with Henson on his numerous projects. A full listing of the events can be found at www.empsfm.org

SailorTweek

Reaction score
I've been to the exhibit 4 times now AND i've been to every Oral History Presentation. I got to meet Karen Prell, Karen Falk, Craig Sheman, and Heather Henson (is that her last name still?) Everyone was so nice! Poor Karen Prell probably thinks I'm stalking her...she's been to every presentation as well and says "hi" to me everytime ^_^

The exhibit is AMAZING. I'm going to see it a few more times before it leaves Seattle in August...and I will be at all the presentations as well!

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Two events happening in Seattle next month: a Jane Henson lecture and a John Kennedy puppet builiding workshop.

The lecture is sold out currently, but there may be tickets available the day of. Nice to see such an event fill up.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Sorry, the Kennedy workshop is this Saturday, June 20th. The lecture is July 8th.

SailorTweek

Reaction score
the lecture is sold out? :eek: I didn't even know you could get tickets in advance! Oh no...looks like I gotta get there extra early to sit in line and hope for a ticket. =(

tomahawk

Reaction score
My daughter and I will be at the Jane Henson lecture. Can't wait. It'll be our third event.