My autistic son.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Meh, my muscles will do what they will do, I don't really try to control anything or hide it. But to each their own :smile:. I guess I'm just so use to it that I don't care if people notice..In fact, I'd almost rather they'd notice. It's just me, and I guess over the years I've gotten even proud of it. I get places slower and in a different way, but I get there :smile:.

Even with my learning disability, I talk about it often, if only to show that spelling can get better, and using a fake version of a disability to justify using chat speck online is just silly :stick_out_tongue:.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I have an autistic brother, his name is James and he has Asperger's Syndrome, too. He likes the Muppets, but not as much as I do. He likes some things with Ernie and Bert, Don Music, Kermit, Fozzie and the Fraggles. But he mostly likes music, NASCAR and comedy.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Wow, this is a really interesting thread. I actually did an internship at a community centre for people with autism spectrum disorders, and I worked with some other teachers to run an art program. They weren't children though, they were adults who have lived this way all of their lives and it was interesting to come into their community. At first I thought I might be considered an outsider but they welcomed me in with such open arms! Because I have experience in working with autistic people in an educational situation (rather than personal) it's a bit different than what you guys were talking about, but I know that for me it was such an amazing experience, being able to get to know and understand so many people that are typically written off by the rest of society, even though they have so much to offer, both artistically and in general.

Scott I understand about how your child is worried about Kermit! One of my students watched the Sopranos fairly regularily and was telling me all about how "Tony is such a bad guy!"

Scott S

Reaction score
Sorry I have not been on to reply. Our internet connection has been more off than on lately. I can't wait for Verizon to extend their FIOS to our neighborhood. Also we have been a little busy with our foster dog. (Not sure if we can post pictures directly here, also I need help from Red to retitle the links I post)

Z, That is awesome man! Do you have a link or something to guide us so we can see your videos on youtube?

BTW We got the new Muppet show tape and he is happy to see Kermit is ok!

Well I got a phone call while I was posting and now I have to run. I will post more tomorrow, (Fingers crossed that my internet is working)

Timotheus

Reaction score
::BUMP::
That's like my friend. He loathes that society wants him to be "normal". He lives in a group home and can only leave when he proves he can be independent ... but group homes aren't set up that way. You can't live a normal life bound to one place, with no "normal" people around you, tied to living there because transportation is spotty, so you can't get a job ... etc. It's like they offer him a carrot on a very long stick and then blame him for not catching it.
Hey, I haven't posted on here for eons and hope y'all don't mind my interjecting. I just happened to find this thread while searching for something else.
Any way, Mrs. Red Piggy, your friend's situation is way too common. A lot of these places where someone with a disability ends up say they are there to give the person as much independence as possbible, but the oppurtunities given are slim , and the examples shown (their "peers") are not the ones to which the facility wants them to follow. (I used to work in a home for children with disabilities; I work in Special Education now). The "system" is broken. Never allow your child into a group home-type setting; progress happens but the view of the person's "problem" coupled with the setting make indendence terribly impossible.
Eesh! Sorry, I'll step off my angry little soapbox now.
Scott S., awesome to hear that your son is into the Muppets. A lot of kids (whether they have a disability or not) get into such terrible things. I'm guessing Kermit would be Daniel's favorite character?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Group homes honestly scare the jeebies out of me, speaking as someone with leg troubles that can be okay one day and pretty bad the next but who has a good head on her shoulders.

I mean I know they were first started by people that meant well, but I can't help but feel something was lost along the way :\...

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I mean I know they were first started by people that meant well, but I can't help but feel something was lost along the way :\...
They gained something ... a taste for money. If their wards improved there'd be no reason to live there.

Scott S

Reaction score
So sorry that I have not posted in forever. The end of the school year is so incredibly hectic. (However he did pass all his classes, he got a C in College Prep Science and Geometry!:smile:) Then his birthday was the 17th so getting ready for that and then on that day there was a family tragedy.:frown:

I got him the muppet game and a couple of muppet albums that I need to transfer to a CD, at some point. I also got him some puzzles that I got to hear him open on the phone. He was stoked. He also watched a couple of the Muppet shows without me and while I would have rather watched them with him it was great to hear the joy in his voice as he told me about the shows he watched. He was so happy to tell me that Fozzy was messing up the show because Fozz's mom was in the audience. :cool: Well since I am back I can watch a couple shows with him today.

BTW it was his 16th B-day and so far the driving issue has not really raised it's ugly head yet. I think he wants to, but he really won't be able to.

I would like to start this thread back up again. I apologize that I am not commenting on what all of you said. That is not my style but so much has happened lately it is just crazy.

Scott S

Reaction score
Well here is a new one. Yesterday I was looking at him and could not put my finger on what was different. Finally I figured out that he had cut his eyelashes. They are now 1/8 to 1/4 inches long depending on the curve of the eye. Oh well the fun never stops with Daniel. :insatiable:

Songa, can you tell me, when you added the link to the song you gave it a shorter title, how did you do that? Right now I post a link and the enitre link shows up and I want to be able to do what you did. Thanks.

King Jim

Reaction score
I know what autism is like because I grew up with it and I still have it. Some people like to call it a gift. Which I agree on.