Oscar the Grouch Replica from The Sesame Street General Store

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Pretty impressive that you were able to get your hands on these things.

Oscar looks like he could use a bit of a trim though, but other than that, he looks great.

caffine

Reaction score
Pretty impressive that you were able to get your hands on these things.

Oscar looks like he could use a bit of a trim though, but other than that, he looks great.
Oscar, a trim? :grouchy: I think that's his look ;-)

Got in touch with a rep from Vee Productions, and have been getting more info on these, which I'll post soon!

Any offers? Could probably ship some of this stuff via Greyhound... :insatiable:

Pino

Reaction score
Here am I with the same kind of replica! They found one to put in the Exibit here in the Netherlands. I have worked together with them to put a small part of my collection in it too.
My foreign Records are there to see and the dolls I got from Julia :wink:

CoOKiE

Reaction score
VERY AWESOME!

Thnx for showing us more pics... i dont think there was ever a SS store around me (Rhode Island) so seeing more stuff from this store is GREAT!

I'd Love to have those in my house lol i cant imagine why you'd want to sell any of it unless you were like in VERY VERY VERY desperate need of money... still... i'd sell my kids first :stick_out_tongue:

caffine

Reaction score
Ok, so after a lot of very helpful discussions with some great folks at Vee productions, and some research, I have a lot of additional info to share!

This is an original California Oscar, and he's 20 years old.

The first 4 Oscars, for the initial stores opened in 1990 (South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa; Glendale Galleria, Glendale; Stanford Shopping Center, Palo Alto; and Stonestown Galleria, San Francisco) were the originals, and differ from the later, more common ones, that were produced later. The notable differences are the crate has a diagonal cross-plank, only 1 hand is protruding from the can, it's motion-sensor controlled, and there's no audio. These early ones were likely not created by Vee productions, but were used as their prototype for the large expansion of the stores. My guess is that whatever company produced the originals didn't have the ability to build 60 more in a short timeline, or that it would've been too expensive to do so. Once the prototype was given to Vee, they quickly built 60 Oscars and shipped them off to the customer. I'm including a great picture of lots of the later-generation Oscars sitting in the Vee warehouse! (kindly shared by the helpful folks at Vee Corp)

The large character cutouts of Big Bird, Bert & Ernie, and the others, are also from the store, and were part of the same display. I found some random pictures on the net of Oscar in different store settings (mostly the newer ones) and one picture you can see Bert & Ernie in the background, and what appears to be an early Oscar (single hand). Enjoy!

zns

Reaction score
WOW. Are any of those Oscar's in the first photo for sale at all? Please let me know. Thanks :grouchy::grouchy::grouchy:

caffine

Reaction score
WOW. Are any of those Oscar's in the first photo for sale at all? Please let me know. Thanks :grouchy::grouchy::grouchy:
The first photo is about 15 years old. I saw one listed on eBay in CT a month ago as a buy-it-now for $3000. I believe it sold.

caffine

Reaction score
Shipping

I found that by using Greyhound shipping (he'd travel by bus) it would only be about $90 to ship him anywhere in the CONUS, and only about $60 within California! :super: