Nine Week Intensive Online Puppet Building Course

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I should have posted something about this on here sooner, but I'm offering a nine week intensive online puppet building course online over the summer via PuppetBuilding.com called Puppet Building 101.

Puppet Building 101 is designed to take you step-by-step through the process of how to build whatever type of hand and rod / live hand puppets you want to make. This isn't just a follow-along with some patterns or tutorials, it's geared to help you build whatever kind of puppet you'd like to have. The goal of the course isn't just to teach different ways to build puppets, but also to teach a different way to think about building puppets.

You read an outline of the course here, but the highlights include:
  • A personalized program that will be geared to the specific needs and interests of each participants.
  • Weekly video workshops/tutorials and handouts that take you step-by-step through the puppet building process.
  • A weekly interactive live class for follow-up and additional demonstrations
  • A private “class discussion” message board where you can share, discuss and trade notes with everyone else involved.
I don't think anything quite like this has been done online before and I'm really excited about it. Several people have already enrolled and it looks like it's going to be a great group of people and a lot of fun for nine weeks.

The course begins June 15th, but is designed so that you can download all the materials and work at your own pace. The cost is $89.95 US, which I think is a really good deal considering that's what you'd pay for a couple of really good puppet building books, videos or patterns (and this is personalized and interactive!). Registration was supposed to be cut off tomorrow, but I am probably going to extend it in to next week because several people have said they need a little extra time to sign-up and there are a few spots still available.

If anyone is interested in participating of if you have questions, please read the FAQ or get in touch with me. It would be great to have a couple MCers participate!

Melonpool

Reaction score
I just signed my wife up as a birthday gift. I'll be sure to look over her shoulder as she takes the course so I can take advantage of this great resource, too! From what I've seen of the outline and Andrew's work in the past, I'd say that 90% of the people that post on this forum should sign up immediately.

Looking forward to this!

Steve

rurulesunc

Reaction score
Signed up too. This looks like just what I have been needing to take my building skills to the next level. I cant wait!

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I think I figured out that over those 9 weeks, I'll be gone for 5 of them.

I hope it goes so well that you're forced to do it again!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for signing up guys!

Stacey are you at PofA and on vacation(s)?

mummytomb

Reaction score
Yes! I hope it does come about again. Summer is keeping me busy this year!

Pork

Reaction score
This is a really good idea. Will you be running another one ? because I won't be able to sign up for this one :frown:

Puppetainer

Reaction score
I will add my voice to those already hoping for future offerings of this course, as my summer is also a bit crazy this year. If I could just win the lottery so I could quit my "day job" I would be able to get on with making and performing puppets ALL the time! Have to work on that!