eFX Collectibles to produce Muppet Replicas

What Muppet Replica do you want the most?

• Rizzo the Rat

Votes: 44 13.9%
  • Miss Piggy

Votes: 79 25.0%
  • Pepe the King Prawn

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • Fozzie Bear

Votes: 151 47.8%

• Total voters

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
It's probably the new Red puppet that Karen Prell has been performing at appearances and is slated to perform at Comic Con.

All other Fraggle puppets have reportedly been in a terrible state for decades due to lack of use or refurbishment. The state of Henson's Fraggle posers is another issue, of course. That's anyone's guess. Let's hope the new movie happens soon so they'll remake all of these fuzzy little guys. :excited:
It's not a poser. She has an arm rod and the stand she is on is just a wooden dowel going up the arm hole.

It could be the one Karen Prell uses, although I heard somewhere that that puppet was given to her. Of course, she might have loaned it to the display. I guess ToasterBoy knows much more about this, so I should probably stop guessing!

:stick_out_tongue:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
These are the MR issues revisited: Stellar prototypes that can't be replicated in the normal factory process. Plus, we have Disney's firmer grip on quality control this go-round. It looks like everybody needs to rethink things in order to get these done. Willing it to be so and waiting for that one in a million factory just won't make it happen.

I'd hate to say it, but the most feasible ways to make these (without commissioning them to be individually hand made at enormous expense) is to simplify the pattern and materials a bit to make them high end plush that don't require the level of hand detailing required by a legit replica. What Luke said. It's really not a bad idea and could actually bring about a better end result.

These really can't be 100% accurate replicas in any factory process in the first place. There were always going to be some alterations made and some corners cut. There is a way to get these made where these are high-end posable plushes that are nearly authentic poser quality, but at a price point and construction method that's easier to achieve.

I guess this is what I'm trying to say. The posers are inherently going to fall short in some areas no matter what, so why not design around that by intentionally making some changes in construction methods to achieve a similar result that can be better replicated to all specifications. My thinking is if these things had been done by MR in making the Gonzo poser that while the materials would be less authentic - - the "visual" result could have been much closer authentically and looked more pleasing. It would have also been less expensive and probably sold more units.

I don't know a lot about the intricacies of these issues, but I do know a little bit about how things get made and I just don't see this happening without a different approach. Whatever that approach may be.
I understand what you're saying here and this is just my personal opinion: I'm only interested in this line as replicas. I don't collect toys anymore. I don't have anyplace to put them. And if it's not a replica, then it's just a high-end toy. We've been over this before, and I know many people are thrilled with their purchase, but that's why I still haven't bought an MR Gonzo. It just wasn't close enough to the real thing for me.

I'm not willing to give up on eFX this quickly. I'd rather say, where there's a will, there's a way. And there is most certainly a will. I'm actually very pleased that Bryan and crew are not willing to compromise on quality. That's reassuring to me that when these finally come out, they will have been worth the wait!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's not a poser. She has an arm rod and the stand she is on is just a wooden dowel going up the arm hole.

It could be the one Karen Prell uses, although I heard somewhere that that puppet was given to her. Of course, she might have loaned it to the display. I guess ToasterBoy knows much more about this, so I should probably stop guessing!

Like I said in the post, it’s probably Karen’s puppet because she’s reportedly going to be performing Red at Comic Con.

I understand what you're saying here and this is just my personal opinion: I'm only interested in this line as replicas. I don't collect toys anymore. I don't have anyplace to put them. And if it's not a replica, then it's just a high-end toy. We've been over this before, and I know many people are thrilled with their purchase, but that's why I still haven't bought an MR Gonzo. It just wasn't close enough to the real thing for me.

I'm not willing to give up on eFX this quickly. I'd rather say, where there's a will, there's a way. And there is most certainly a will. I'm actually very pleased that Bryan and crew are not willing to compromise on quality. That's reassuring to me that when these finally come out, they will have been worth the wait!

I believe that trying too hard to make Gonzo an authentic poser is what kept him from being one and that could plague Rizzo too or prevent him from getting made at all.

There is absolutely no way to factory produce a 100% accurate poser anyway. If MR had shelved that notion and looked for alternatives into making Gonzo a high-end posable plush he could have looked closer to the original, sold more units, pleased more fans and maybe even been less expensive. That certainly doesn’t mean Gonzo would have been lesser quality, on the contrary things like eye focus and his nose would have been superior to what was made. (Just a note, I'm still pleased with my blue weirdo.)

I suppose it’s more important to me that a poser *look* accurate than try too hard to be accurate and falling short...or not being made at all.

In the end, I think it boils down to how the product looks and functions. And if they can bring it to the marketplace.

statler salad

Reaction score
Not a chance in heck i'm shelling out for a 'high end' plush/toy. For me it's either a replica or i'm not going to bother and i'll save my cash for something else. There has been so many toys over the years and they are never very accurate. I want a replica that is as close to the original as possible - i'm glad to hear EFX will not consider going down the easier/cheaper option.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget that MR's Kermit is not a 100% replica by strict standards. Terry's original was, but what was manufactured is smaller and caused the eye placement ratio to be different. The collar material is also different than the actual Kermit. MR's Kermit is somewhere between a high-end posable plush and a replica. Maybe it's just a case of semantics, but nothing that MR created or EFX can create through the factory process will be a 100% replica.

Luke

Reaction score
Not a chance in heck i'm shelling out for a 'high end' plush/toy. For me it's either a replica or i'm not going to bother and i'll save my cash for something else. There has been so many toys over the years and they are never very accurate. I want a replica that is as close to the original as possible - i'm glad to hear EFX will not consider going down the easier/cheaper option.
Actually eFX HAVEN'T said at all they won't go down the easier/cheaper option, its more a case that with Disney they wouldnt be able to cut any corners anyway and if the current plan is for it to be a near exact photo puppet then they have to live upto that or they wouldn't sell any. So of course they want to make it that way, but i'd imagine it will get to the point in the license where they either make absolutely nothing and pocket the loss or they try to recoup their money by trying to just put out whatever they can. I'd imagine all options are very much open.

All hope isn't lost though if they are still trying to find a solution to bring out the proper replicas. I just think thats its a near impossible task - either they really put up the cost sky high and get a puppet builder to hand make a batch (and even then, could they legally pass that with Diz? Probably not!), or some kinda miracle happens and they find a factory. But whats the odds? They will never be able to make these any less than 100% perfect or cut corners likeness or design wise with Disney, and they will never find a Disney approved factory who is even experienced enough to do this kinda stuff, and then at a small quantity? No way. They obviously got the license thinking that factory they had lined up was ok, locked in already to do the job.

To me - i wouldnt mind if it was a high end lifesize plush. I'm not talking about something that looks like a toy, i'm talking about something that looks as good as the other replicas, just without the armatures. But WOE is saying it isnt just the armatures, its hand dying and (im guessing) stitching and stuff - plus all the legalities of factory approval. So i have no idea how they can really sort this .... even talking about changing them to high end lifesize plush. Maybe they couldnt even do it with the license ... maybe the poser license contract states armatures etc to define it from the plush license, i dunno.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Well, I can see where Bryan is coming from. In the Star Wars side of it, They are not planning to make on of the light sabers due to no factory wanting to make it. The parts are too complicated and so eFX went on to another saber that is sure going to be going on to pre-oder soon. I guess that a lot of these factories are not willing to put out such a high quality product due to the amount of time to assemble and make the parts, and the cost. Also the quality standards get in the way. Good for Bryan for wanting to make it possible. If it never comes out, at least he tried. I can only imagine how frustrated it gets being on his side of the business. I wish him the best.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i think People are getting confused when Frogboy says plush.....it seems like everyone's thinking the plush you would get back in 2002 or something...nothing wrong with that i think its meant more as a maybe 75% replica over a 100% replica...if that makes any sense

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
i think People are getting confused when Frogboy says plush.....it seems like everyone's thinking the plush you would get back in 2002 or something...nothing wrong with that i think its meant more as a maybe 75% replica over a 100% replica...if that makes any sense
Exactly. A hybrid of sorts that would yield the same visual outcome. :super:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Just found these on someones photoalbum from another forum. I hope they don't mind me using them. Here is a closer look at Kermit and Rizzo from eFX.