eFX Collectibles to produce Muppet Replicas

What Muppet Replica do you want the most?

• Rizzo the Rat

Votes: 44 13.9%
  • Miss Piggy

Votes: 79 25.0%
  • Pepe the King Prawn

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • Fozzie Bear

Votes: 151 47.8%

• Total voters

Bear Man

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to read through my novella Travis, comment on it, and not take any offence at some of the less than flattering observations I made.

I guess that my pro-Fozzie argument comes from this reasoning, which may be totally not the way the world works: Soliciting a more recognisable character would result in more pre-orders being placed. More pre-orders gives EFX a larger pot of money to begin manufacture. With more money available for manufacture higher quality factories can be sourced and/or factories can be paid a premium to compensate for their reluctance to take on such a small/technically complex task. So in my eyes, inability to take it to take it to the manufacturing stage is actually tied into selecting the wrong product to build. (Granted I never expected actual manufacturing problems to stall the product before it even started. I expected the line to end because scores and scores of Rizzos sat in inventory because the character was not popular enough to warranty its purchase at such a high premium that would be driven by the very nature of the posers).

On a sort-of-related note, I have a vague memory floating around the back of my brain that you had a photo of the incredibly bad first factory attempt at Fozzie. Any chance we could get a look-see at it, just for fun?

And I should also clarify myself around the Sideshow/Star Wars comments. I'm not saying that their other products are not strong, I'm saying that the release schedule model of holding back key characters/characters in their iconic representation, in order to extend the longevity and financial viability of a license is something that they apply to every line they have, and it is actually only something that works with those peculiar Star Wars nuts (all said with love, MuppetCaper, with pure love ;-)) If you look at Sideshow's Lord of the Rings figures the Fellowship remains incomplete because they placed a minor character into the sales line-up early on, and this disrupted the purchasing cycle in a way that the line (already expensive to produce) could not recover from. With Indiana Jones they chose to release Belloq in a non-iconic costume, and then multiple versions of Indy killed customer interest when they were crying out for Marian, or Sallah, or (heaven help us) Short Round. I admit there were some quality issues that compounded the problems, but fundamentally they try to administer all licences to the Star Wars license model and that's a big mistake. Those tactics work for Star Wars - 38 versions of Luke? No worries. What will the next figure release be - C-3PO or R2D2? Nope, it's the third alien from the left who crosses the middle background about 38 minutes into the movie. We'll leave those two droids for later. And there will be a lot of people who will know that character's ret-conned back story and be happy to buy it. No way on earth will this approach work for any other licensed property.

Sorry for yet another essay, but I figure you understand the compulsion I have to write as much as possible. After all, my degrees are also in Theatre, English, and Education. (If you're trying to steal my identity, Travis, you'll find there's not a lot gain from that!)

MadForPepe

Reaction score
600 dollars is a lot of money

Thanks for the answers!

600 dollars is also what a (private) puppet maker asked. Yes that would be illegal, but still.

I think 600 dollars is way to much. Of course quality doesn't come cheap but you have to think about a cost-effective production line and be able to sell big time.

I think 300 dollars would be the max for me, but still way to expensive for most fans out there. But eFX could have known this right from the start. Why not make small changes? I mean, the Gonzo doll out there on Amazon would do the trick for me if it was a Pepe! (yes i know, a puppet is not a doll)

:concern:

Luke

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers!

600 dollars is also what a (private) puppet maker asked. Yes that would be illegal, but still.

I think 600 dollars is way to much. Of course quality doesn't come cheap but you have to think about a cost-effective production line and be able to sell big time.

I think 300 dollars would be the max for me, but still way to expensive for most fans out there. But eFX could have known this right from the start. Why not make small changes? I mean, the Gonzo doll out there on Amazon would do the trick for me if it was a Pepe! (yes i know, a puppet is not a doll)

:concern:
It costs quite a lot of money to get an accurate looking "Muppet" replica. I'm not even quite sure exactly the quality Pepe you would get from a private puppet maker for $600 ... Pepe's one of the more complex ones so i'm guessing it wouldn't have been anywhere near being actually "Pepe".

Master Replicas did a heck of a job at the posers with a price point of $300 ish. Doubt anyone could have done better with the budget they must have had .. Gonzo nose aside, but i think we have done that debate to death, lol.

If you were to start making cuts even more then you would be running into "plushie" territory not "replica"

Luke

Reaction score
I believe that if Sideshow sold plastic replica apples, they would sell. It is not a matter of them having the Star Wars license. They can lose it tomorrow and still be successful. The reason why? they listen to their customers and what they want.
Yeah they copied that from Ken Lilly (and later Travis) at Palisades, he was the first person I think who ever really got the whole listening and interacting thing right. Sure he got some flack for it at first, but then he also made it a two way street giving back to the collectors of the line as well (in terms of on box credits, thank you presents, collectors club, taking the time out to meet and talk with them at conventions). The people who know the license best are usually the collectors who have known the brand for years - it isn't just them being generous, interacting with fans, it also makes their products better and then increases their business.

As far as eFX is concerned, I believe it is another direction we are dealing with. Yes, it is a small company, and they want the best for their products, but these are not dolls we are talking about. We are talking about high end collectibles. And like I said before, with the economy and Disney's restrictions, it makes everything difficult for these. I wish Bryan the best, I know that he really has passion for what he does and sometimes, not everything works out the way it should, I can only imagine how frustrating it gets on the level of completion. Also, with us constantly on him about it. I think, knows and feels what we do as far as having more Muppet replicas. I am pretty dead on that he wants us to have something more than what we had at MR's by making them EXACT replicas.
I sympathise with eFX that things changed very much since they got the license but I don't think Disney's "restrictions" is quite the right term. It's Disney's job to look after and protect the Muppet brand. When eFX go to Disney to get the license, or for product approval it's their responsibility to know how to make it, where to make it, and be able to produce at retail more or less the exact prototype they are showing them. Of course they charge eFX if further factory prototypes aren't up to scratch - it costs Disney money to do the QC work in approving or rejecting them. It's not Disney's fault the economy has changed or that factory A in the end could not make them and factory B is more expensive or does things differently. They still have to expect the quality of the product that was initially pitched to them and they sold the license based on. Although i'm sure some bargaining goes on they can't automatically be expected to agree to lessen the quality of a Muppet product based on a companies troubles and if they are then presented with a "budget" prototype then they are never going to be EXACT replicas.

MadForPepe

Reaction score
Ok well, of course being a Pepe fan even a nice plush look-a-like would be something. Because now there is none. But a high-end replica is of course the best you could ever wish for. And you know what, I would even save some money for an exact replica (even if it is 600 dollars or more). And I totally agree with Luke's reply.

Davina

Reaction score
some decent large plushies would be nice, just in general..
would have been nice to have gotten one of Pepe before our little Pepe passed away, so we could do group photos.. hehee.. we always wanted to do that with her (the little dog in my avatar pic..)

Luke

Reaction score
some decent large plushies would be nice, just in general..
would have been nice to have gotten one of Pepe before our little Pepe passed away, so we could do group photos.. hehee.. we always wanted to do that with her (the little dog in my avatar pic..)
I think what with the movie and Disney's retailing, large plushies will happen sooner rather than later. I can't honestly see Disney sitting back and making nothing for its stores.

I really loved the poser line. Not sure how long their license lasts but if it goes for a year or so after the movie maybe there would be more chance of sales then to kinda push the manufacturing into happening.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think what with the movie and Disney's retailing, large plushies will happen sooner rather than later. I can't honestly see Disney sitting back and making nothing for its stores.

I really loved the poser line. Not sure how long their license lasts but if it goes for a year or so after the movie maybe there would be more chance of sales then to kinda push the manufacturing into happening.
I agree. And maybe some company sometime will figure out how to make at least a high quality plush and other figural items that doesn't have the number of restrictions these posers require. The popularity of more accessible items could lead to interest in posers again. :smile:

Andibcool

Reaction score
Hmm im still interested in the poser line but EFX dont seem to get any new out.
I understand the posers cost quite some buck, but if they cost to much not many ppl cant even afford to buy one. Prices like 300$ seem ok if it goes higher i would pass on em even if i had the money.
What me makes to wonder is, the Gonzo poser sold that bad. I would say out of the three he has the most valure for the money and looks pretty accurate.
Granted the suit does not look that good but i still think he is well done.
Kermit is indeed my favorite too but i think Gonzo has more to offer and looks more accurate.
I dont really think we see any poser from EFX on the storeshelfs.
Im glad i got the 3 from master replicas, they are sure something special to own.

Davina

Reaction score
With Gonzo, I recall a LOT of people not being happy with the compromise they had to come to regarding his nose, which meant there were a lot of people who didn't buy him just because of that. I have all three, but we had to delay Animal and Gonzo when they were released. We'd had the money, then had emergency vet bills when Pepe started having odd seizures so had to use the money for that instead. By the time we had the cash back up for both of them, prices had bottomed out on them, which, while being nice for our pocketbook, was bad for the company. We currently have the cash saved for more posers, but since it looks like none will be forthcoming any time soon, I think I'm going to put it towards a new stove, which we are also in need of at present