Ghostbusters 1 Slimer Puppet Question

CrazyHarryFan

Reaction score
I have a question about Ghostbusters 1 that the internet and even gbfans.com doesnt seem to cover.

There are a couple of shots in Ghostbusters where Slimer is clearly a puppet.

I have NEVER EVER EVER seen photos of the puppet ouside the movie.

Do we know where the puppet is? What it was made out of? Who made it? Are there replica puppets like Slimer?

He is probably one of my favorite characters ever, yet I haven't seen any info ever on the puppet aspect of Slimer. The Ghostbusters 2 Slimer was terrible, ugly, and all wrong. The Ghostbusters 2 Slimer was my favorite!

I figured someone on here would know or have photos or something. I can't wait!

--_THANKS!

Gerbert

Reaction score
wood, foam, latex, and foam covered latex. i've been a guest in ghostbusters. and i had to throw the puppet between two green sheets. lol i guess thats the effect for when he's thrown thru something i dont remember.

practicecactus

Reaction score
You should enjoy this then- early rehearsal footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aYLq96lY0M
Shows how it's operated.

Does anyone have favourited the raw footage version, without the music and stuff? I don't seem to have it, or the 'stay puft marshmallow man' head- test footage in my favourites.

robinthecrow

Reaction score
oh wow neat. i also thought that we didnt see much of how he was achieved. glad to see there is something to gander at.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
that video is awesome! That seemed like a unique way to operate it. I hope when/if the third movie comes out, that they use the puppet and not CGI.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Refreshing to see a director talking about how cartoony CGI looks. Hope this means we won't see any CG ghostbusters flying through the air or clinging to a CG monster but there's the studio, so I'm not holding my breath.
I can only think of Underworld, where a director said "No, I want guys in suits, not CGI" in this day and age where CGI is like crack to hollywood.

spcglider

Reaction score
A little off topic, but I just had to share with y'all.

I was just at Crypticon Minneapolis this weekend. One of the guests was Ernie Hudson (Winston Zeddemore). Absolute gem of a guy. He was even classy enough to wear his GB2 jumpsuit for his appearances at his table and his talks. He obviously knows what his fame (among this crowd) stems from and is willing to give them what they want. Very cool. He talked about the possibility of a third film, which has been highly rumored.

"When the second picture came out, Bill (Murray) was disappointed and said, "I won't do a third one unless its good." But what everybody HEARD was "I won't do a third one." Thus launching however many years worth of trepidation about ever seeing a third pic.

When the video game was in the works, Murray evidently declined to be involved until his brother called him and told him he needed to be in it. So he did. Which was fortunate because the experience was a positive one and evidently did something to help his attitude towards actually WANTING to do a third movie.

But Mr. Hudson said that while everybody was absolutely willing to come back and be in the movie, currently there was "no money on the table"... meaning that no funding has yet been secured for the sequel.

And that's what I have to tell.

Now.. back to the Slimer thread. Sorry to disrupt!

-Gordon